Menu

School bus situation

DawnM

UPDATE!

I wasn't able to reach them by phone (left a message) but I did email them.

The woman in charge of that bus route sent me an email that said: "I have just driven through the area you are mentioning and I agree with you. The new bus pick up will be at X and Y street."

The new pick up and drop off is IN the neighborhood and very close.

WHEW!

Thank you all.

• Like 46

When my oldest was in K, I assumed he would walk to school, since we can pretty much see the school from our house.  Then I realized there is no sidewalk, the road narrows and on one side there is no other place to walk because of the retaining wall built by the homeowners a billion years ago when the area was farmland/rural, not suburbia.

Then I realized there was no crosswalk, and although the posted speed limit is 25mph, it is more like 30-40.  I asked the school and supposedly we were the first family with school age kids from this particular subdivision - ah, no - there are at least 5 others in the elementary school.  That's when I learned that everyone within walking distance actually drove their kids to school! No bikes, no walking - all being driven.  What a traffic mess at pick up time  - no one carpooled, no one walked, no one biked.  So strange.

Upon further exploration of the community, I discovered a safer walking route for my kids, but I had to cross the road with them in one spot and they could cross safely in another.  

Oh, and no bike riding on school property - but that is another complaint!

I hope you get it sorted out.  It really appears that the 'powers that be' have no idea of where they are expecting kids to walk to get to a bus.

Completely off topic, but one of the (many) reasons we started homeschooling was because at our elementary school, kids weren't allowed to play on the grass. They could only play on the concrete or asphalt. Sometimes schools have rules that make little sense. 

• Like 2

UPDATE!

I wasn't able to reach them by phone (left a message) but I did email them.

The woman in charge of that bus route sent me an email that said: "I have just driven through the area you are mentioning and I agree with you. The new bus pick up will be at X and Y street."

The new pick up and drop off is IN the neighborhood and very close.

WHEW!

Thank you all.

Don't you love it when someone competent actually takes ownership, addresses the issue and actually solves the problem!  

Completely off topic, but one of the (many) reasons we started homeschooling was because at our elementary school, kids weren't allowed to play on the grass. They could only play on the concrete or asphalt. Sometimes schools have rules that make little sense. 

Wow.  Just wow.  I wonder what the was rationale behind that decision.

• Like 1

was it newly planted and needed to get established?

is it poorly drained? so that when  it rains -it turns to mud, which then requires repair.   and kids playing on it would then track into the school.  as well as having some parents really upset becuase their kids are muddy.

drainage systems underneath such fields work, but they can be expensive to install and are usually used for athletic fields.

a local arboretum used to have a wide grass path, the center of which would always turn to mud in wet conditions because it was poorly drained. they tried many things, to no avail.  they finally made a gravel path going down the middle.

• Like 1

was it newly planted and needed to get established?

is it poorly drained? so that when  it rains -it turns to mud, which then requires repair.   and kids playing on it would then track into the school.  as well as having some parents really upset becuase their kids are muddy.

drainage systems underneath such fields work, but they can be expensive to install and are usually used for athletic fields.

a local arboretum used to have a wide grass path, the center of which would always turn to mud in wet conditions because it was poorly drained. they tried many things, to no avail.  they finally made a gravel path going down the middle.

The reason the principal gave us was because they wanted the grass to look nice. It was well established and thick and didn't have a drainage problem when it rained. It was just one of many ridiculous and arbitrary rules.

• Like 1

I'm glad it worked out in your favor. Isn't it nice dealing with people who have common sense and do their job?

I called the head of transportation years ago when my 5th grade son told me he and others had to stand and most seats had 3kids in them. He did make sure his younger brother had a seat. Situation was resolved the next day. I could not believe. The bus driver did not say or do something on the first day.

• Like 3

The reason the principal gave us was because they wanted the grass to look nice. It was well established and thick and didn't have a drainage problem when it rained. It was just one of many ridiculous and arbitrary rules.

:huh:   :svengo:   that principal shouldn't be at an elementary school. . . . . probably not a jr. high either.  then, they'd probably be upset with high schoolers finding shortcuts instead of staying on paved paths.

(one high school delayed paving paths.  they waited to see the paths the students made walking to class - and paved those.)

• Like 1

I'm glad it worked out in your favor. Isn't it nice dealing with people who have common sense and do their job?

I called the head of transportation years ago when my 5th grade son told me he and others had to stand and most seats had 3kids in them. He did make sure his younger brother had a seat. Situation was resolved the next day. I could not believe. The bus driver did not say or do something on the first day.

I am told they aren't allowed to do that here, but they have a real shortage of bus drivers, so they may have to do double runs, meaning, one group waits at the school while they run one load of high schooler's home and then come back and collect the 2nd group.

We will see how it goes. Technically I will be home in time most days, but not all.

The ride TO school is 15-20 min, the ride home is 45-50.