Menu

What do I do if my kid is past high school freshman math?

My 11 yo DD (6th grade) is doing Math Mammoth 7, which is Prealgebra. We're 5 weeks into the school year and she's moving at lightning pace, and I think she'll finish before the end of the year. Then I imagine she'll do algebra 1 in 7th grade. But what do I do then? Our high school does algebra 1 in 9th grade. She will attend there. Should I ask to have her tested to go into a higher class? Or just stretch algebra 1 to cover 2 years? She'd still need to be tested to move up. How is this handled usually?

You need to meet with the school (or at least the math chair) as soon as possible to make sure they will accelerate her! Some schools will only accelerate by one year because "the schedule won't fit XYZ with the other freshman year classes."

All schools are different (unlesss you live in a lock-step state). Check with your school.

Been there. My youngest would have needed precalculus in ninth grade. She opted to stay with homeschooling.

• Like 1

My 11 yo DD (6th grade) is doing Math Mammoth 7, which is Prealgebra. We're 5 weeks into the school year and she's moving at lightning pace, and I think she'll finish before the end of the year. Then I imagine she'll do algebra 1 in 7th grade. But what do I do then? Our high school does algebra 1 in 9th grade. She will attend there. Should I ask to have her tested to go into a higher class? Or just stretch algebra 1 to cover 2 years? She'd still need to be tested to move up. How is this handled usually?

We are in a similar boat (AOPS algebra in 7th) but part of me wants him to retake school algebra because he is not currently a science kid, so I don't see the point of accumulating all the math before graduating high school.

Most likely though, he will take the regents Algebra after 7th and when he goes to high school they will likely accept that (we are in NY). There is enough math at the high school no matter what he starts with.

Edited by madteaparty

Read your state regs. My state just wants X number of credits for the diploma. That can be Linear Alg, Real Analysis, etc. They have an established procedure for transferring credit in from outside providers, and a list of tests that substitute for Regents math exams. It is not an issue to learn at your level in math if not in a school that offers the level needed. Our only issue was lack of internet access and refusal to allow independent study with a faculty member due to the financial choices the district makes...our friends in a wealthier district have had no trouble at all.

My 11 yo DD (6th grade) is doing Math Mammoth 7, which is Prealgebra. We're 5 weeks into the school year and she's moving at lightning pace, and I think she'll finish before the end of the year. Then I imagine she'll do algebra 1 in 7th grade. But what do I do then?

You've already gotten good answers about talking to the school and the math department there in particular, but wrt "what to do for 8th grade", what about something like AOPS Number Theory (and/or Counting & Probability)?

https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/store/recommendations

• Like 2

If you haven't already looked at AoPS, now is the time to consider it. The Prealgebra text is something special. MM is excellent but if your dd will fly through, she might benefit from the greater challenge of aops for prealgebra instead.

As for high school, all the schools around here would require placement testing, one separate exam for each course (Alg 1, geom, Alg 2 as appropriate and in that order).  Some high schools teach AP calc AB and AP calc BC in two consecutive years, one building on the other, while others allow advanced students into BC as a standalone course.  After BC, some schools here offer multivariable calc (calc 3) and/or dual enrollment.  Keep in mind that what is possible for placement as a matter of school policy vs as a matter of an individual, unique case may be two different things, depending on who is in charge when your dd starts.

Edited by wapiti