Menu

I don't want to homeschool him yet but....

Janeway

6 yr old is still very much a little boy. He is just now starting to understand and follow rules. I am completely tapped out on money for extra curricular activities. I do not know anyone at all with children his age.

He does not want to go to school. He went to kindergarten last year. He thought the days were too long. He said he had friends, but he never once was invited over by anyone. The other parents are very cold and distant so I never got to know anyone. They would generally just sit on their phones the entire time.

He leaves for school about 7:05 am and arrives home about 3:15 or so.

I am very worried about his emotional well being if he goes. This is way too early for a 6 yr old, in my opinion. But, I have no clue what to do with him at home. Right now, during summer, he takes swim lessons and kind of floats from various devices and then Legos.

I have no clue what to do. I am unsure why I am even making a post as ...well, I am at a loss here.

Your title says that you didn't want to homeschool him yet, so that tells me it was in your plans to homeschool him at some point. It sounds like you know what you want/need to do, it's just before your planned timetable.

IMO, let him stay home and do a homeschool year of kindergarten or a really relaxed year of 1st grade. 

I don't know where you are so I won't suggest a homeschool group to find kids. I struggle to find groups/kids myself even when I am supposedly living in an area with a high concentration of homeschoolers. My two older ones are 16 and 14 and my youngest is 8. Even when there is an event for him I usually miss it because the older two seem to take up so much time. 

Your DS sounds like my youngest. He floats from devices to legos, then to outside for short periods of time. He seems fine with it, he isn't asking me for friends or outings. He is just happy being with me. He just gets mad at me if we don't make it to the pool when I say we are going to go. 

I agree with the above poster, give him a light year built around what you can handle. Since it appears the rest of his siblings are home with you that is probably what he is wanting.

If he isn't reading work on phonics. Maybe Ordinary Parents taken very slowly. My ultimate aim would be to do school for the 4 and 6 yo together. Do some math, maybe minquin. Get SotW with the workbook that corresponds with what your older kids are doing. That way he can learn a bit more at his level and have some activities to go with. Use the library. Audio books while he does Lego.

Keep him home and do some phonics, a little math and fun things. If he likes sciency things....get some books from the library and read them and do some fun experiments. Let him play. At his age, even "full-blown kindergarten" wouldn't take but half an hour or 45 minutes a day if you just focused on phonics and math, which is really the only thing necessary at his age.

He is in 1st grade now. I fully planned to home school him after this year, but no later than after the next year. I had planned to start when he and his sister are either going in to 2nd and kinder, or 1st and 3rd. 

I am kind of thinking what I could do. I mean, if I do home school him, I would not want to start the 4 yr cycle yet as I have that planned for doing the two of them together. (I have all levels of SOTW). I could have him go along with whatever older brother is doing. 

I do not think I can get the money back for younger child. But, I could swallow what I have paid, which is first months tuition, and move forward from there.

If I had not already paid for preschool for the younger one, which is about $400 a month, then I would have put them both in things like gymnastics.

Yikes!  That is a huge chunk for preschool.  I would skip pre-K and spend that money on something everyone could enjoy like zoo passes.

• Like 4

I would keep him home and have a kindergarten review year. I waited until my middle ds turned 6 this year to start kindergarten because he is on the immature side(he's all boy) and it may have been the best homeschooling choice i have made yet. I hope you find a solution that makes you both happy!

Corey Mills

He is in 1st grade now. I fully planned to home school him after this year, but no later than after the next year. I had planned to start when he and his sister are either going in to 2nd and kinder, or 1st and 3rd. 

I am kind of thinking what I could do. I mean, if I do home school him, I would not want to start the 4 yr cycle yet as I have that planned for doing the two of them together. (I have all levels of SOTW). I could have him go along with whatever older brother is doing. 

I do not think I can get the money back for younger child. But, I could swallow what I have paid, which is first months tuition, and move forward from there.

I would ask if you could get it back.  

If you can't could you send her for the one month and then drop?  

Then use the $ for gymnastics like you wanted to?   Memberships to zoos or museums?