Menu

Ambien

Night Elf

I've halved my dose and now I'm only taking 5 mg a night. I still have loopy moments. Last night I bought a book on Kindle. I didn't realize it until this morning when I found the receipt in my email. I was able to return it for a refund, thank goodness. I mean it was only $10, but still, I don't want to pay that right now. I'm avoiding buying Kindle books for a while because we have other expenses that are a higher priority.

I read that being on Ambien a long time can make it habit forming. I think I have this problem. If I forget to take it, I wake up repeatedly nearly every hour until I catch on that I forgot the med and I take it and sleep fine the rest of the night. I'm hesitant to change meds because I tried several kinds before settling on the Ambien. It was the only one that worked well and consistently. I am trying to decide if I should tell my doctor that I absolutely cannot sleep without it now and that worries me. What would you do? I started it a long time ago because I had severe insomnia, only sleeping 3 or 4 hours a day and that wasn't even consecutively. Now I am sleeping 8 hours a night with a 30-minute nap during the day. I'm scared to mess that up. I feel really good when I get a good night's sleep. My loopy Ambien moments only occur occasionally as most of the time I take it and turn out the light within 30 minutes. Last night I couldn't sleep so I kept on reading. I don't always do that.

I would decrease the dose again with the goal of stopping it. I know you need it, but that's scary to do things that you don't remember doing, even if it's only occasionally. I would cut out your daytime nap and do conservative methods to try to sleep (though I'm sure you've tried!). Not sure if you have a sound machine, but I have an awesome one from Bed Bath & Beyond that sounds like a fan. It really helps me. 

I have taken Ambien once postpartum (routinely given to all patients by my OB). I hallucinated. It was really weird and I'll never try it again. 

I went off Ambien successfully by getting amber glasses and wearing them two hours before bedtime. (See lowbluelights.com). I also have a low-blue-light nightlight and use a face mask to help block light while I am sleeping. I still occasionally get insomnia. But before these measures I could not sleep even one night without Ambien. Now I am much more alert during the day. Ambien seemed to lead to afternoon sleepiness, especially when driving. I was on Ambien for about eight years.

I took ambien about 20 years ago for a few months; when I went off of it there was one sleepless night, then I was fine. Ambien caused a low level fatigue and sadness; at the same time it seemed to disconnect my emotions except for the sadness.

If you haven't done so already, you might try trazadone; it's non-addictive, and does not cause amnesia or rebound insomnia.

Nm, reading comprehension fail.

Ambient makes me dangerous, I get stuck in the awake and stumbling but not lucid zone. For my sleep issues I do well with good sleep hygiene practices and melatonin based sleep aids that are combined with herbs. Even if they didn't trip me out like bad mushrooms I still would worry about the habit forming issue.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I am not recommend ing these meds, since I have no experience with them; just making suggestions based on my readings on the subject.

Silenor: Never heard of it before, but it came up in a search: https://www.silenor.com/why-silenor

Here are some others: most can lead to dependence, but some do not: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/in-depth/sleeping-pills/art-20043959

No personal experience, but wanted to say that while I have friends for whom Ambien was a lifesaver, I also have a friend who had a history of sleepwalking on Ambien, who took his car out one night and got into a terrible accident. His family attributes it to the Ambien. 

I think telling your doctor you wonder if you're dependent on it, and decreasing the dose further, sound like reasonable steps. You can always try something else, or go back on it if that's better for you.

Also, have you tried guided meditation to get to sleep? I use sleepphones with guided meditation CDs--if I fall asleep, the sleep phones are soft and don't bother me. Not a magic bullet. But maybe you're in a place where you can experiment with some alternatives. Hormones have a lot to do with insomnia, I think--has anything changed since you first started the Ambien that might make it easier (or harder) to get to sleep?

Amy

I hated Ambien. Is trazadone the generic for Remeron? Remeron is what helped me the most back then. Now I take melatonin and 5htp. But my health is so much better in general now than is was back then.

Remeron is an anti-depressant, so no it's not generic for ambien.

Deseryl=Trazodone

Remeron=Mirtazapine

Both are anitdepressants, both are also used for sleep

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I have trouble sleeping too. I agree with gradually cutting dose down with your doctor's approval of course. What helped was limiting caffeine only to breakfast time and then I only have one cup of regular coffee and maybe and half decaf coffee. If you can cut out caffeine altogether. My doctor said caffeine can actually last quite a long time. I use a bright light at breakfast too for mood but also may help sleep patterns. Lastly, consider Melatonin 0.5 mg to maybe 3 mg but start with lower dose. Take this at supper since it takes a few hours to work. I used this for several weeks and it really helped to get my sleep on track. Ask your doctor what he thinks.

I have taken Ambien regularly for over 10 years. However, I only take about 2.5 mg per night, which takes the edge off my overactive mind, but I don't seem to have any negative side effects. You might want to try to lower your dosage and see if that still helps you sleep. If not, you can always go back to the higher dosage.

• Like 1