Menu

Getting privacy in a dorm room

Night Elf

You could look for stretch curtain wire which will come with hooks (that screw into the curtain wire) and eyes (that screw into a wooden part of the bed). That's what we did for the lower bed of ds's bunk bed when dd needed to share with him for a month.

ETA: it is hard to 'unscrew' the hooks from the curtain wire if you mess up the length, although it can be done. It is best to put the curtains onto the cord before you stretch to measure the length as the weight of curtains will stretch the cord and they will sag if you cut first without the weight of the curtains.

Ikea sells 'non-stretch' curtain wire but attaching it to the bed might be more of an issue.

Edited by nd293

Cross posted on the College board

My dd found the idea to hang curtains from the bottom of her lofted bed to enclose the under-the-bed space. How would I do that? I'm assuming it's just a mattress on a wooden frame. Any ideas?

Is this to be a little "cave" for DD? Or is this to screen the belongings under the lofted bed?

You could safety pin a sheet or curtain from the matress.

Is this to be a little "cave" for DD? Or is this to screen the belongings under the lofted bed?

You could safety pin a sheet or curtain from the matress.

A cave. She's going to have her desk under the bed so she won't have a place to lay down or anything. I think she just wants the illusion of being alone. Her roommate is chatty too. We're wondering if she'll be quiet when dd is behind her curtain. Dd is hopeful! haha

• Like 1

A cave. She's going to have her desk under the bed so she won't have a place to lay down or anything. I think she just wants the illusion of being alone. Her roommate is chatty too. We're wondering if she'll be quiet when dd is behind her curtain. Dd is hopeful! haha

I see; then I assume she will loft the bed as far up as it goes. Are the outlets arranged in such a way that this will work? She may need a power strip, maybe.

It looks like a tension rod is what some people use; I did a quick Google search. Like a shower curtain tension rod, but I guess it depends how wide the supports for the bed are. A shower curtain would probably also make a good curtain for the cave.

Well, they sell a pop up bed tent, but it may be too big for a lofted bed and may look odder than a curtain. https://www.amazon.com/Privacy-Pop-PP-BLACK-TWIN-Bed-Tent/dp/B006XBJ3UI 

As to shower curtains, I'd want to make sure it was fabric rather than vinyl for air circulation (which may be obvious, but thought I'd mention as my daughter tends to be literal at unexpected times and might not think about the difference). 

Googling "privacy for dorm room" gave lots of different ideas for various ways to gain more privacy.

Besides adjusting the bed, is there a way she could talk to her roommate about having "quiet time" each day?  Maybe proactively discuss in a pleasant way that she needs "quiet time" and when she is in her desk area with the curtain down she would very much appreciate not being interrupted?  Not everyone "gets" needing quiet time or needing space.  Without discussion the roommate may not have a clue she is causing issues.

• Like 2

I'd go easy and low tech. A couple sheets (because they breath better than plastic), command hooks, and large safety pins. The safety pins act as curtain rings and just hook on the command hooks. A tension rod will fall all the time and get annoying, but would be a nice idea on the sides that won't move.

Ok, we just looked at Walmart. We're able to get a shower rod that fits the length of the bed and a rod pocket curtain. We did check and the pocket is big enough for the shower rod. It won't be the most pretty setup, but it should do the job. She found curtains that matched her quilt so we went with that instead of a shower curtain. We also got the curtains at 63", thinking it may not go all the way down to the floor but that's better than having to worry about pinning up the hem if she had gotten a shower curtain. Naturally the bed dimensions on the housing website only give length and width, not the height of the bed.

But yes, we're putting the mattress up as high as it will go. Her roommate is doing the same and is putting a futon couch under her bed.

• Like 1