Menu

if you run in the morning

lynn

What do you do to recover so you can function throughout the day. I stay hydrated, do a cool down walk for about a mile, stretch when I get home, eat a protein/carb snack. I can't seem to get going, I feel exhausted for hours. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I run in the mornings but I usually have a higher carb dinner the night before and/or I eat a carbish breakfast about 1.5 hrs before running. It has to be healthy carbs paired with lean protein. I think this has made the biggest impact. I could feel it fueling my run. When I don't do this I definitely feel it. If you are just starting out, try to build up to running. Walking briskly then running a bit until you feel yourself getting stronger. One thing that is easy to do is try to run to long or too fast too soon. This can get your adrenals into overload and will feel exhausted for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

I would think something else is off if you are exhausted. Did you just up mileage? New training schedule? Diet or sleep changes? I also think individuals vary. I get up, have coffee and run. I don't take water but others like to drink. Others like a snack. Is running a new thing or just time of day?

My first thought:  Are you sleeping enough?  

Generally, exercise should leave you feeling revved up, unless you are doing a very long run.  

Also, consider shortening the time you are out, but making it more intense.  Rather than a 40 minute jog, do 20 minutes of hill repeats, temp running, or speed work of some kind.  Break up the harder workouts with a (still short) jog and stretching/core strength every other day.  

• Like 1