Menu

Ting phone service?

Hilltopmom

Anyone here use Ting for smart phone service?

A friend of mine does & raves about all the $ they save.

Ds & I both need phones for the first time, so we are trying to find sonething affordable.

(Service isn't great in our rural area, but he can use wi Fi when he's at the CC campus & when he needs a phone the most)

I understand we should order our phone through ting too to be sure it's compatible with their service.

You don't have to order a phone through them, just the Sim card. If you have access to another phone, like your brother's old phone, do that. Use phil.ting.com for a discount. I haven't used the service but I tried to talk my family into it.

Yep. I ordered a new sim from them and put it in an old, formerly AT&T iPhone. It works great. I'm planning to switch our other phones to it as well, because it's so much cheaper that I don't know why I'm still paying so much with T-Mobile. If you pm me, I can look up the refer-a-friend discount code, which would give referer and referee both a discount.

Thanks, but we actually would not save money with them. We would have at the time but now we don't have home internet so we need our T mobile unlimited for downloading and streeming which we do a lot of because we don't have cable. We pay $50 a month for phone, internet and TV by relying on T mobile.

Oops, I meant the op could pm me; I wasn't very clear, since I quoted you :blush:. I'm intrigued by what you say about using T-Mobile for your phone, Internet and tv, though, as we're working on decreasing our costs for all those things (one of the reasons I was going to switch to Ting), but I'm on an unlimited plan with T-Mobile also, and I will need to look into whether it could replace our cable service, which is the thing we most want to get rid of.

We are on a T-mobile family plan paying $100 a month for unlimited everything. My in-laws pay half and we pay half. We have unlimited high-speed internet, but only 10 gigs of 4G but we seem to do fine without the 4G. The only television shows that we watch are Once Upon a Time and The Walking Dead so we don't need cable. My kids watch The Magic School Bus and Salsa, but my oldest is 5 so I don't know how I would feel about this method if I had a middle or high schooler. Of course, adding unlimited 4G is only $15 a month which is significantly cheaper than home internet service.

Ting works fine for us. We pay about $40 a month for three iphones. (We bought our iphones off of ebay.) My hubby can get internet all the time, my dd and I have to turn on data, I believe, if there's no free wifi. Talking and texting is no problem. We switched to Ting when ptel went away.

Do phone calls and texts go over Wi-Fi? If so that would mean it was cheaper than I had thought.

We switched to Ting (from Sprint) 2 years ago and it's been a great fit for us. We save ~$100 a month from what our Sprint bill was, and we now have 3 iPhones (mine, DH's, and the "home" phone since we dropped the landline) and my iPad on Ting. It's the only bill that I look at every month and actually smile.

Edited by Hypatia.

We switched over to Ting on June 7th. Our bill with Sprint was $302/month for 5 iphones. Our bill with Ting for the same 5 smartphones was just $89.

We saved over $200 our first month and that was with two of the three billing categories bumping up to the next higher level in the last three days of the month.

Since this was our first month, I checked our current usage about 1x/week to see how much we were using. But I had already looked through our usage on Sprint and with every billing category on Ting set to the highest level we had used in the past year, our bill with them was only going to be about $120.

We've been using Ting for a while and love it. Coverage in our area is fine, but I definitely recommend checking to see how the coverage is in your area before switching.

We got my phone through Ting; DH got his phone elsewhere and got the sim card from Ting. Either way works.

• Like 1