Menu

Need your foot pain relief tips. . .

Pegasus

So, DD19 started a part-time job that has been scheduling her 40 hours a week. The job involves standing/walking on a concrete floor for the entire shift.  Her feet are killing her.  So far, we've done the following:

• Bought gel inserts for the shoes she was already wearing.
  • Bought a pair of cushioned non-slip work shoes with good support (to wear alternate days).
  • Stretching, foot rubs.
  • Elevation of feet above heart level.
  • Ice packs applied to bottom of feet.
  • Ibuprofin.
  • Foot soak in very warm water with Epsom salt (just started that tonight).

She hasn't found any of these to provide much relief (maybe better than it would have been without these things). I feel so bad for her.  She tried asking for shorter work shifts; the job was supposed to be up to 25 hours per week but they are very short staffed.  However, she isn't very assertive and when her supervisor responded with his preference for her to work full-time until her classes start back in the fall, she didn't push it.

A co-worker who started not too long before her said that it takes about a month to adjust and your feet not to hurt quite so much.  She's only been working 2 weeks and isn't sure she'll make it another 2 with this level of pain.

Any tips/advice?

Be careful with getting foot soaks too hot, it can cause cramping. I learned this in my bartending days. When I became a pro ballroom dancer, I spent about 16 hours a day in 3 inch heels. Mostly open shoes so gel inserts were useless. If she has good shoes and inserts, her feet will adjust, it just takes time. What saved me was  coke bottles. I kept 2 of the glass ones that have the ridges. At the end of the day, I'd lay tham on thier sides, rest my bare arches on them and roll back and forth. Also, you mentioned raising her feet. Lying on the floor and raising them all the way up to vertical feels great. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback and additional ideas. We'll try lifting the legs to the vertical position as well as using something to roll around on the floor with her feet. She has today off and then another 5 days in a row.  

I rubbed some generic ultra strength bengay on her feet last night.  She didn't feel any effects at all until she tried to go to sleep and then they felt cold and tingly.  ha!  She was not happy with me this morning.

Freeze water in plastic water bottles...you rub / roll them under your arches for relief.

For work, have her if possible try on shoes after a shift.  Her feet may be swelling and a wider width or size may help. I kept a pair of looser shoes with me to swap out later in my day.  Also take the ibuprofen or aspirin before she starts a shift.  

Poor thing, concrete is horrible to stand on.

I would take her to a podiatrist. She probably needs arch supports with level of pain. The podiatrist can also tape her feet, which can provide a lot of relief. Also, I'd give her an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen around the clock for a few days.

She might just have to stay off her feet for awhile to heal.

I hope your daughter finds relief soon. Foot pain is miserable!

Polysporin has a gel "with pain relief" -- it's just a general topical numbing agent, so it isn't really helping anything, but it can de-intensify the pain for a short duration. (It has all the normal polysporin ingredients too, so it's expensive to use it this way.)

Use a hard ball like a lacrosse ball or a baseball and roll the calves over it to get the knots out.  It can be done on the floor or I usually do it on a recliner with the leg rest up and the ball between my calf and the leg rest.  The heel stretch mentioned above helps too, but it usually feels better to me to do it on a curb instead of against the wall.

Also, not cute socks but support socks like from a medical supply store. These kind of socks should be sized to fit. That made a huge difference for me. But work her feet on frozen water bottles and wear the socks- also she could do feet stretches at lunch.

be aware, foot pain often does NOT start with the foot  - but with cramping/tight leg muscles.  (even when I had plantar Fasciitis it started with my calf).  especially the calf.  try doing stretches and massages of those muscles.

• Like 1