Menu

My foot skin is "not normal dryness," according to pedicure lady

Ginevra

This is very interesting. I may have to follow up with a dermatologist when I get around to it.

My feet were not sandal-ready, so I went for a pedicure today. I haven't been in a long while; I don't think I went at all last summer, opting to give myself more thrifty pedicures at home. I have thought for a while that my last few nails might have a fungus just because of thickening and yelowing. But I also have some pretty intense flaking and peeling rough patches of skin.

Little Vietnamese pedicurist tells me that this skin is not normal; this is not just dry skin. She says this (and points out specifically) is medically-related and is either an infection or it can be linked to a "nerve disorder." I am not sure what is meant by "nerve disorder." I don't have any apparent nerve problems like numbness, tingling, pain or whatever. I DO have some very terrible veins from my abdomen to my toes. (For real.) But I don't know if circulatory system and "nerves" are related in her mind.

Anyway - has anyone else experienced this? Adnormal dry skin/flaking skin, pink abraded areas, none of which are resolved by lotion? Or perhaps it is linked to a fungal infection?

One of my boys used to have skin on his feet that sounds similar to what you've described.  Two podiatrists said it was athlete's foot. Very easy to treat w/over-the-counter stuff.  They said his was caused by wearing socks a lot and not letting his feet "air out."

Hope it's something easy like that!

• Like 3

I have what sounds like this, always on my left foot during summer, sometimes on my right as well. I was at the podiatrist for another reason, and she said it was a version of athlete's foot. She wrote me a prescription for a cream and it went away immediately. Thanks for reminding me that I need to have a follow up visit and get another prescription!

• Like 2

Well you and me both then.  I moisturized the heck out of them and bought this:  https://www.amazon.com/PedEgg-Power-by-Bulb-Head/dp/B015RQMI38/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467341862&sr=8-2&keywords=pedi+egg

It really helped a lot!  My feet were almost too soft.  I like to walk around barefoot even outside so having a bit of tough skin is good, but for awhile they were soft as a baby's butt.

• Like 1

I have what sounds like this, always on my left foot during summer, sometimes on my right as well. I was at the podiatrist for another reason, and she said it was a version of athlete's foot. She wrote me a prescription for a cream and it went away immediately. Thanks for reminding me that I need to have a follow up visit and get another prescription!

You know, now that I'm reading this, my ds may have started out w/a prescription, too. 

• Like 1

Psoriasis. I think mine is, anyway and it's what you describe. Mine is on top of my foot and a ped-egg abrasive thing would just make it bleed or get scabby.

I have tried anti fungals, cortisone, neosporin...over the course of a year or so. But I think it's psoriasis, and I think I need to see a doctor. :(

I want a pedicure so bad, but I'm actually embarrassed to go get one. And for the longest time I thought I was contagious and would spread whatever I have. But it's not contagious.

I'm actually thinking of doing a whole30 just to see if it's related to a new food allergy or something. Or, I saw an ad for laser treatment and it actually sounds like an appealing solution.

• Like 1

I had bad athletes foot last summer as well. I got an over the counter cream for it, and it eventually went away. A patch of super dry skin stayed longer than other sections, it eventually went away with that cream and moisturizing cream. In total it took probably a year? I think I waited too long to do something about it 😮

• Like 1

I'm 53 and the only time I've ever had dry skin on my feet was before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. But I had unusually dry skin just about everywhere (even inside my ears!), not just on my feet.

FWIW, my former doctor says it's a sign of good circulation if you have little hairs that grow in your toes. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

We are battling athlete' foot right now and from what I read athlete's foot could present like that and other ways. My kid's presentation was not the norm so initially I thought it was something else since it appeared as small red areas on top and bottom of toes and no itching at all just tenderness and some swelling initially of the last 2 toes! I researched and terbinafine spray is what I would consider especially for between toes and you could get the cream for rest of foot twice daily for about 4 weeks. Ask your doctor. You normally continue for 2 weeks after symptoms are gone. Terbinafine (lamisil) is one of the meds that actually kills the fungus and acts quicker whereas the others just inhibit the growth of fungi and take longer.

Wash and dry feet carefully at least once daily. Clean shower with some sort of clorox like tilex. Apparently you can wash clothes and sneakers with pine sol which kills fungi but I have not tried yet. Use hot water for socks, towels, etc. and bleach if white socks and towels. Try to wear sandals at least around house to air out feet.

http://www.acfaom.org/information-for-patients/common-conditions/athletes-foot

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/athletes-foot-treatment-overview

http://thedermblog.com/2008/07/09/6-ways-to-keep-your-feet-fungus-free/

Initially I thought that my foot scales were a fungus.  Turns out I have psoriasis.

I am a firm believer in an annual skin check with a dermatologist.  You might want to schedule an appointment not only to have your foot examined, but also to have your skin checked if you have not done so.

• Like 2