Menu

Above ground pool... all info, advice, cost estimates, prep, set up, upkeep, etc is appreciated!

Dianne-TX

I can't access the link you provided so I can't comment on that particular pool but I can tell you of our experience.

When I was growing up we had a 20 x 40 inground pool. The above ground pool we have now (36' round) is so much less maintenance!! Maybe once a week I have to vacuum and that does not take long at all.

We had it installed right up against our deck. In my experience an above ground pool that is in the middle of the yard is kind of a pain because you are either in the pool or really out of the pool. There is no lounging pool side or sitting with your legs dangling in. Plus, people in the pool can't really talk with those outside the pool, etc. If you have young kids it is easier to watch them while sitting on a deck, and if your kids are older they will love the lounging aspect.

For chemicals I just put one tablet of chlorine in the skimmer and then get one of the floating things and fill that up with tablets. I never fooled with the PH or any of that. Enough chlorine will clear any problem.

I usually run the filter on low for about 6 hours a day. Any less and they pool gets a little murky.

We did have to replace the pool after three years after a really, really severe winter. The weight of the snow and ice on the cover bent the pool walls. You will need to get the weight off the pool cover if you live in a place where it snows.

We love our pool. Kids are never bored if they have a pool. Outside grilling is so much more fun. We strung colored lights around it and when it is lit up at night it looks really cool.

I can't access the link you provided so I can't comment on that particular pool but I can tell you of our experience.

When I was growing up we had a 20 x 40 inground pool. The above ground pool we have now (36' round) is so much less maintenance!! Maybe once a week I have to vacuum and that does not take long at all.

We had it installed right up against our deck. In my experience an above ground pool that is in the middle of the yard is kind of a pain because you are either in the pool or really out of the pool. There is no lounging pool side or sitting with your legs dangling in. Plus, people in the pool can't really talk with those outside the pool, etc. If you have young kids it is easier to watch them while sitting on a deck, and if your kids are older they will love the lounging aspect.

For chemicals I just put one tablet of chlorine in the skimmer and then get one of the floating things and fill that up with tablets. I never fooled with the PH or any of that. Enough chlorine will clear any problem.

I usually run the filter on low for about 6 hours a day. Any less and they pool gets a little murky.

We did have to replace the pool after three years after a really, really severe winter. The weight of the snow and ice on the cover bent the pool walls. You will need to get the weight off the pool cover if you live in a place where it snows.

We love our pool. Kids are never bored if they have a pool. Outside grilling is so much more fun. We strung colored lights around it and when it is lit up at night it looks really cool.

Ours in the middle of the backyard, but even if it were up near the house, it wouldn't matter.    Our first floor opens right up to the backyard.  We are on a hill, so the front part of the house has a walkout portion of the basement, but the back of the house starts at the first floor, if that makes sense.

DH is now building a deck around the pool.  He asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said a deck around the pool.

OP,

We have a 30' round above ground pool.  It was $8K and is 15 years old and looks just like new and is very sturdy.  I know it was $8K because the previous owners left the paperwork.  That included the pool, installation, sand, filter, cleaner, liner, everything.

In the 15 years we have had to replace the liner once and the sand several times.  We also have had to replace the hoses on the cleaner a few times.  

We estimate it costs around $300-$400 per summer with chemicals and supplies.

As far as the pool you are looking at, overall, Intex pools don't last all that long, I think you can expect to get 5 years at best.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

INTEX, based in Long Beach, CA, USA, "owns" that market.  If we were going to buy one (and we have considered doing so) I would not consider any other brand.   Neighbors we are friendly with bought a house a block from ours, years ago. An above ground pool made by INTEX came with the house. It lasted for years. We live in a Tropical Valley, where it was up all year round and exposed to the sun a lot.  I was amazed, that it lasted so long.  5 or 10 years under the Tropical sun?   GL with your new pool!

http://www.intexcorp.com/pools

http://www.intexcorp.com/support/

P.S.

INTEX products are sold here in Colombia and I assume in many countries.  

• Like 1

We had one for five summers. The kids at the time we got it were 14, 9, and 6. It was not the type in the photo, but a round soft side pool,18' across and about 4 feet deep. Plenty big for younger kids, but really too small for the teen to enjoy it--she got in only a couple of times. Her brothers loved it and had fun playing in it together or with friends, especially when dh would get in with them.

I agree with another poster that having it in the middle of the yard makes climbing in and out difficult, plus it lessens the enjoyment because you're either in or out, you can't just sit by the side and watch.

Maintenance-wise it was worth it when they were in it a lot. We have a number of large live oak trees on our lot so vacuuming often was needed. I bought an automatic pool cleaner that did the job for me, but I still had to take it out and put it in and babysit it a bit. We also upgraded the pump and bought a salt system for it. We live in the south so we never had to deal with closing it for the winter or anything.

The summer after the second child hit 14 and had lost interest in the pool we took it down. His brother probably would have enjoyed it for longer, but not by himself--he only wanted to swim when a friend was over and the maintenance it took was not worth it for that infrequent use. We took it down and got a trampoline instead.

So long story short it was fun while it lasted. But they did outgrow it in a few years. It probably cost us around $200 per season for upkeep, including the occasional new pump and regular new filters.

Edited by mom2att
  • Like 1

We had a not as elaborate Intex pool at our old house many years ago.  The key is very level ground.  For something this substantial and for as many years as I'd want to get out of it, I'd pay to have someone come in and level the ground for you. 

ETA:  I agree with what people say about wanting decking around it.  We had the inflatable type another poster was talking about and you had to be either in the pool with your children or standing next to it. You couldn't sit in a chair and monitor young children (you couldn't see over the side). Not sure how old your children are and if that matters or not. 

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

We have the circular Intex pool (I think it's the 16' in diameter and 4' deep) with a salt-water system.  We bought it in April.  It is awesome!  

Here's my thoughts:

If you can, go with the salt water system.  We had to buy it extra, but there's really no chemicals to buy after it gets going.  You just check the water every weekend and add salt if needed.  The salt was cheap...my husband knows more about it than I do, but I think it was under 10 bucks for a giant bag of it.

Yes, the ground has to be perfectly level.  It was horrible leveling our spot.  We ended up renting a mini-excavator, because none of us could handle the shoveling.  There are tons of Youtube videos on how to level for an above-ground pool.  We put a long 2x6 board on a bolt at the center of our circle and just swung the board around the circle, leveling every spot.  We also put a layer of sand down and leveled it again with the board.

Cost - We spent between $500 and $900 on everything (I'm not quite sure of the total cost) - the pool, salt-water system, the cleaning kit, the salt, renting the excavator, buying sand, buying a bunch of pool toys, etc.  

If you can help it, I wouldn't buy the pool online.  We originally ordered it from amazon...set up a time for them to deliver it (it has to come on its own truck)...my husband actually took off work to handle the delivery...and they never showed up.  No one called or anything.  The next day, someone called and said that they needed to reschedule the delivery, but couldn't set up a time.  They called again later and said the pool was damaged in transit and was undeliverable.  So, we canceled everything and went to a sports store and just bought the pool there.  I was afraid it would be trashed during delivery anyway, so this worked out better.  We did order the salt water system and accessories online. 

The pool cover it came with was awful.  We threw it away (I think it ripped immediately) and bought a solar cover.  The ladder wobbles when you climb up and down, but all the reviews mentioned that.  Apparently, no one likes the ladder.

We made one mistake when we set up the pool, so we know not to do that next year.  We filled the pool with water at night (yeah, stupid, right?).  We couldn't see, but the sides bulged out as it was filling with water and it moved the legs of the pool.  So, we had the legs perfectly level before we started adding water and then by the time we realized they shifted, the pool was too heavy to adjust.  So, we're not totally happy with how the legs shifted.  We're going to take it down this fall and redo it next spring.

Filling the 16' with water took FOREVER - like 5-6 hours or something.  So, be prepared for that.  I was terrified by the water bill, but, in the end, it was $30 to fill the pool with water (and we have expensive water).  Now I know for next year.

I remove the ladder anytime no one is swimming.  I have a toddler, so the pool thing was terrifying.

Oh, Wal-mart has underwater pool lights with a remote control for like 10 bucks.  We put the lights in ziplock bags and they attach by magnet to the side of the pool - so they can swim in the dark.  Lol.

It has been a great purchase.  Our kids are in the pool every day - even the teenagers.  That's actually one of the reasons we canceled school for the summer.  They're swimming constantly.  

Good luck! 

We had this exact same pool! The kids still miss it as we had to leave it when we moved last year. Like one of the pp's, we upgraded the filter and went with a salt water cleaning system. It was fantastic and really cut down on the maintenance. One thing to note is to make sure it gets plenty of sun during the day to keep the water temp comfortable. We had it where it only received sun in the afternoon which made for a very chilly swimming experience every.single.time. We also purchased it through Costco and paid almost half of what Amazon has it listed for.

I say go for it! We have two acres of woods and outdoor fun for the kids, a trampoline, treehouse, etc. and the one thing they still miss dearly is our pool. Unfortunately we don't have a level area here to put another one.

Good luck!