Menu

Central Maryland boardies? Everyone okay? Tornado.

Ginevra

I just drove home through Howard County. It took me over an hour to get home; should have been 25 minutes. Every road is lined with toppled trees and downed power lines. I saw several houses with trees on top of them - and that's just what was visible from the road. Nearly every intersection is non-functional lights.

This looks like a tornado, though I have not heard that from any official site yet. I just got home a few minutes ago.

The warning came theough on my DD's phone, but not mine. I did get the flood alert later, though. I'm not sure why that is.

I was at a doctor when it happened and one of the staff was getting the tornado alert.

We were at the library and moved to an interior room so I didn't get to watch the storm pass. The damage must have been just South-East of my house as there was nothing on the way home - but then again, we live in a little bubble that severe storms often split for (like the dericho a few years ago, everything was slammed north and south of us and we got nothing).

However my children were at day camp at the nearby park and I was feeling quite overwhelmed, mostly because one child usually breaks down bawling in fear over thunderstorms and they were outside under pavilions for this. Thankfully the counsellors were good at keeping them calm by singing songs but I was a mess over it. I am very laid back with stuff but realizing there are lots of kids at a park without enclosures big enough to hold them all is kinda intimating.

• Like 4

:grouphug: I used to enjoy severe thunderstorms until we moved to Texas (from your area, Quill). Most rain here is acquired through severe conditions.

It always leaves me feeling a little shaky afterwards, I mean when we have tornado warnings, sheer force winds and hail. We've had a lot of crazy storms here. 

I'm relieved to know that so far, no injuries reported with your "most likely a" tornado. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear everyone (so far) is ok.  The storms today have certainly been strong.  Just north of us they've had hail (10 minutes worth this morning) and we got a warning that more just went through - I think south of us this time.  We've had hard rain and wind with a few small limbs down, but that's it.  Looking at radar, I can see where others really got nailed.  I'm glad we've been on edges rather than centered.

I hope all are ok.

• Like 2

:grouphug: I used to enjoy severe thunderstorms until we moved to Texas (from your area, Quill). Most rain here is acquired through severe conditions.

It always leaves me feeling a little shaky afterwards, I mean when we have tornado warnings, sheer force winds and hail. We've had a lot of crazy storms here.

I'm relieved to know that so far, no injuries reported with your "most likely a" tornado.

And here I really miss sitting on the porch and watching severe storms roll through having grown up in Oklahoma and now living in MD. But we can't really watch them here with all the trees and those trees give me pause when the winds get bad. I don't want one coming through my roof.

I had informed our group meeting that there was a tornado warning and they all immediately sought a better location in the building. I have to admit that I was inclined to stay where I was because "well it would only be a small Maryland tornado if there is one at all", but when all your peers jump to safety... ;)

They did confirm a tornado in the area for a 12 mile path, I believe. It does make me a little nervous that it was just a couple miles over from my kids taking shelter in a park pavilion...

• Like 2

I just saw that confirmed tornado, there was a tree that went right through he center of a house in Ellicott City. Glad no one was injured.

Yes, I saw that on the news this morning. There are several roads blocked today in west Howard.

I saw a few houses on the way home yesterday with trees on part of the house. But that one on the news was like a giant buzz saw. It also crushed their car.

Yes, I saw that on the news this morning. There are several roads blocked today in west Howard.

I saw a few houses on the way home yesterday with trees on part of the house. But that one on the news was like a giant buzz saw. It also crushed their car.

Scary, that kind weather freaks me out and tomorrow it's supposed to go on from early morning until late night.

I was never that afraid of weather until I went through meteorology school, maybe that's because I had never lived in a place with severe weather though, moving all over the south and my weather knowledge made my anxiety way worse.

• Like 2

Scary, that kind weather freaks me out and tomorrow it's supposed to go on from early morning until late night.

I was never that afraid of weather until I went through meteorology school, maybe that's because I had never lived in a place with severe weather though, moving all over the south and my weather knowledge made my anxiety way worse.

I have lived in MD all my life. This is not a state known for natural disasters or destructive weather. But when we get destructive weather, it is a shock. Driving home yesterday, the hair was literally standing up on my arms.

I am one of those who do actually enjoy watching a thunderstorm from the porch. But not like yesterday. That was a whole different ballgame.

• Like 2

It's surprising to me to hear how bad it's been down there as our local news hasn't even mentioned it.  Usually they do since y'all are close enough and we tend to share weather.  This time they've stuck to the local hail and a roof blowing off as the main things - some limbs down as a passing statement.  As far as I would know from the news, the bad weather ended at the Mason Dixon line.

Tomorrow still looks potentially stormy, so best wishes to all.

• Like 2

It's surprising to me to hear how bad it's been down there as our local news hasn't even mentioned it. Usually they do since y'all are close enough and we tend to share weather. This time they've stuck to the local hail and a roof blowing off as the main things - some limbs down as a passing statement. As far as I would know from the news, the bad weather ended at the Mason Dixon line.

Tomorrow still looks potentially stormy, so best wishes to all.

Here's a clip about the tornado. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/an-ef0-tornado-touches-down-in-howard-county/251864403

Checked out my MIL's house today. The big Sycamore we planted when FIL died (1998) is down. Birdhouse is broken. Some shingles off the roof (as if that roof didn't have enough problems). Down the road, there was some enormous tree damage to the three houses at the road entrance. The trees of one smashed their chicken and poultry coops. Another house has the side of the garage missing and the garage door is mangled. There were power trucks at this location. I saw dozens of power trucks today.

Very happy to hear there were no reported injuries or deaths.

• Like 3

We're good here. It was fast, so dd and I spent an hour chilling in the basement. No trees on our house this time! That's an aweful thing to go through and I feel for those people. I will never trust trees again. Luckily, my son was at camp in southern MD. He does not care for storms. The dog was shaking so hard the couch was vibrating. DH watched from the front porch because he's an idiot sometimes.

I saw that a few high schools closed summer school today because of power outages. Columbia has burried utilities, so we're generally spared that hassle. Our high school opened today. It looks like western hoco hot the worst of it

• Like 5

Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the affected area :blushing:   I wasn't actually home, but I was closeby.  I kept getting alerts but didn't realize about a tornado possibly being in my immediate area.  The rain was coming down in sheets and the storm itself was intense, but I don't recall the winds being a huge issue.  My son was home alone and appears he was completely obvious to what was happening.   I guess that's a good thing.

I had been on the DC metro near lunch time and went through the station that was completely flooded before all that happened.  I'm glad I missed that.  I could see the storms coming from the subway as we were pulling into Shady Grove.

My dd was driving up in PA during it.  She called and said it was very bad.  She stopped on the side of the road for about 20 mins waiting for it to blow over.  She was headed up Rt 15 as the storm was coming south west.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

My dd was driving up in PA during it.  She called and said it was very bad.  She stopped on the side of the road for about 20 mins waiting for it to blow over.  She was headed up Rt 15 as the storm was coming south west.

I think this is why our news didn't cover MD this time.  There were areas that provided enough for filming purposes here.  National news gave y'all a few seconds with pictures though.

Today it appears that we're on the northern edge.  It's lightly raining out and they aren't predicting any severe weather for us mentioning that it will all head south.  Hope it's still just rain for the rest of you.

• Like 2

Looks like this first system this morning is going to stay mostly south of us, I've heard a few rumbles and it's raining but nothing to get excited about yet. This afternoon was supposed to be more mild anyways, so it'll probably be a nice day to just hang out at home and listen to the rain. :)

• Like 2

I saw that a few high schools closed summer school today because of power outages. Columbia has burried utilities, so we're generally spared that hassle. Our high school opened today. It looks like western hoco hot the worst of it

Buried utilities certainly does help..... but the longest power outage I had was when I lived in Columbia. I remember being out for 2 days in either late middle school or early high school. But 2 days really isn't bad in the scheme of things.

• Like 1