Menu

U.S. Geography crash course

Jackie

My elementary age kid wants to learn U.S. Geography. She prefers to get her information in big chunks and then move on, so I'm thinking a unit that includes 9-10 hours of school time.

We have a map puzzle and map placemat already.

Resources? Must be secular, but no other limits that I can think of.

I didn't know there was a difference between religious and secular geography courses.

You should look at this:

http://map-of-the-whole-world.weebly.com/

This year my son has learned how to draw the continents, USA (48 states), South America, and Europe. We ended the school year about halfway through Asia. Next year we will finish Asia and learn Africa and whatever else there is in the program. I love it.

• Like 2

I didn't know there was a difference between religious and secular geography courses.

Until I started homeschooling, I never imagined I would find so much religious content in math or handwriting, either. I find it easier not to assume any more and just to be up front in order to get recommendations that work for our family :)

• Like 1

You should look at this:

http://map-of-the-whole-world.weebly.com/

This year my son has learned how to draw the continents, USA (48 states), South America, and Europe. We ended the school year about halfway through Asia. Next year we will finish Asia and learn Africa and whatever else there is in the program. I love it.

We once made the same assumption and enrolled in a geography course at TPS. Wow, was it NOT what I was looking for; it would have been more accurately classified as an apologetics course.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used both Trail Guides to Geography (World and US) and I don't think they are religious at all.  I don't think there is any mention of religion unless the child is asked to look up what the main religious group of a country is. I would use Cathy Duffy's "Secular, but Christian Friendly" description. No bible verses, no mention of the age of the earth, etc...

Did you happen to download the 50 States and Where to Find Them ebook when it was available for free (and forget you downloaded it)?  That's a pretty decent, and comprehensive, overview of the 50 states.  

Last year we did a full year of US Geo using Trail Guide, parts of the 50 States book, and random other stuff. However it took a full 34 weeks and that is too much time for what you are looking for.