Menu

Vegans- what's for dinner?

lewber

In an attempt to eat more veggies I'm trying out vegan meals. I'm skipping right over vegetarian because cheese is my enemy;) I know there are lots of reasons to be a vegan, but I'm not aiming for 100%. I just need to eat better and I believe health wise that greens and beans, berries and vegetables are good for me.

But there's so much chopping! It's time consuming and I'm only a few days in. I'm ok with breakfasts and lunches in bulk type preparation but dinners are harder.

So? What's for dinner?

I have no name for this meal, but we love it.

Pearl couscous (could sub rice)

Black beans (canned) on top of couscous (rinsed - heating is optional - I don't) Slightly smaller portion of beans than couscous

A generous dollop of guacamole on top

On the couscous that is peeking out from under the beans scoop some pico or salsa and small wedges of pineapple

The only thing requiring cooking is the couscous, so it is super easy. If ya want to be a little fancier, you can put a circle of kale around the outer edge. I only like steamed kale so if I am in a hurry, I skip this.

Edited by Bensmom

My family is fasting for Ramadan, so the meals they want this month are are on the heavy side. :)

First dinner is left over beef stroganoff and a nice salad, second dinner is chicken pot pie. All made from scratch. 

I also picked up some hummus, flat bread, Persian cucumbers, and tomato. Plus fruit and dates!

helena, what are you using for the beef stroganoff?  Is it a seitan recipe by any chance? 

Sometimes with seitan, mostly with ground beef, a few times mixed.

It's mushrooms, tofutti sour cream, earth balance butter, vegan powdered chicken broth, bisto, the meat and rotini

Edited by helena

Gardein beefless beef tips w/ broccoli, mushrooms, snow peas and onions over basmati rice in a yummy gravy. 

It's normally a fall/winter meal here, but we topped out in the low 50's with lots of drizzle today, so we were in the mood for something heartier.

I made this madras lentil stew recently. I didn't bother blending anything, used frozen diced onions, doubled the spices, and then served it over rice with a dollop of Greek yogurt. I served it with a cucumber and tomato salad.

This looks delicious. Thanks.

I sautéed a bag of frozen veggies and can of black beans with some taco seasonings, served on lettuce with salsa and guac. It was yummy, but I'm going to have to branch out- I could eat that every day!

Tonight, I had some leftovers mixed w/ some of what I was fixing for the kids (who got Jamaican jerk chicken over brown rice & black beans, w/ pineapple w/ cinnamon on the side).

I had a 50/50 mix of black lentils w/ red quinoa w/ green beans (these were leftovers from a previous meal). I added some black beans on top & diced avocado. Added some Shizzle sauce (sauce for Jamaican jerk flavoring). Had pineapple slices w/ cinnamon on the side.

ETA: And, I still have more of the black lentils/red quinoa/green bean mix, so I will probably have a breakfast of that w/ a sunny-side up egg on top & eat an orange too. (I know that's not technically vegan, but at least it's egg instead of cheese. :tongue_smilie: )

Edited by Stacia