Menu

Poll: Ice

Pegasus

How does your household obtain ice?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. How does your household obtain ice?

• We don't use ice at home.
    • Ice trays.
    • Automatic ice maker.
    • Purchase ice.
    • Other.

We almost never use ice while at home. We feel spoiled when we visit family that has an ice maker in the fridge door. I guess we are too lazy to make the trays often here. I get annoyed about storing them without spilling them. Dh bought an ice maker for our counter weeks ago. We haven't opened the box yet! :lol: Oh that reminds me, I was thinking of buying him a new tea maker for Father's Day. We do not care for the one we have, but he uses it at work sometimes.

Ice is the common name for a drug around here (not sure if it's just a local thing) so seeing a poll asking how we get our ice on Wtm was quite a surprise.

We opted for the non ice maker fridge as I'd heard they were prone to failure and took up space. If we need heaps we buy from the servo. For a small amount we use cube trays.

Yes to the bolded. I got quite a jolt when I saw the heading.

Here ICE = crystal meth, something that is destroying lots of small rural communities in my area

• Like 1

We used to have an automatic ice maker, but it died.  My fridge will. not. die. Even though I want to replace it and dh won't get on board as long as we have a functioning one.  

Anyway, now it is ice trays (when we remember to fill them) and bagged ice from the store.  Actually, recently, we have been leaning more towards the bagged ice.

We use ice cube trays because when I researched refrigerators, I kept finding info that said the ice-makers were the most frequent repair problem. I keep extra ice in freezer bags because no one who actually uses ice refills the trays, and I am weary of hearing the complaints about having no ice. Two of us never use ice because we prefer cold drinks without it. Well, with the exception of sweet tea, which I rarely make because of the amount of sugar I use to make it taste the way I think it should!

Edited by RoughCollie

We use ice cube trays.  I have 6 of them, and I empty them twice a day, morning and night.  If it's really hot outside, I might do it three times a day.  And if we are preparing for company, I either up the ice production for the week beforehand (4 times a day), or we'll buy ice.  Usually a little bit of both.  

I learned the upping ice production for company from my MIL.  She has an ice maker, but she empties it and puts the ice in bags before anyone comes.  THat family is the biggest consumers of ice I've ever seen.  No ice maker can keep up with them.  When they were all at home, she used to be regularly convinced that the ice maker was broken.  Nope.  Just using more than it could keep up with.

My kids love filling tbe ice bucket using the icemaker machine at hotels. A friend's ice maker on his fridge door broke and his kitchen flooded. He decided ice trays were easier than worrying about that happening again.

This happened to us when I was very pregnant with my daughter. The feeder tube developed a pinhole leak and I have no idea how long it was leaking before we found it. The entire floor had to be replaced to the joists. It's been trays for us ever since.

I voted that we don't use ice. We don't have an ice maker but do own ice cube trays. However, we drink our water cold from the tap or other drinks cold from the fridge and that seems to be fine for us.  I am sure if I had an ice machine the kids would use it, but as it is, we never think of it.  Every now and then I make ice because someone has a sore ankle or back, but that's about it.

We buy a big thing of ice a couple times a year for parties, and then dh uses the left over ice for making margaritas for us. But I didn't vote for that because it's literally one to three times a year. But that is mostly how we ever have ice in the house. Then we forget about it and I find a half bag in the freezer all frosty and in bits, lol. I toss it until the next time.

Automatic ice maker. Before that we had ice cube trays, which were a pain to get ice out of. And the ice would usually sit picking up freezer flavors.

If there is an occasion for a cooler full of ice, I start stockpiling ice in our chest freezer. I have a hard time paying $8 or more for some frozen water I can make for free.