Menu

What did YOU read in 6th grade?

mskelly

Cave Bear isn't smut, exactly. I mean, there's rape, and lots of it, but it's not intended to be titillating so, therefore, not smutty.

Now, the rest of the series... sigh. We get it, Jondalar is big, and they're hot together, and it's the most BORING thing I've ever read. So also not smutty. Honestly, I've gotten more turned on from IKEA manuals.

"Assume the position" .... seriously. I remember almost nothing about it but my aunt talking to me and that phrase LOL And that it was pretty risque for an eleven year old.

I read literally everything in our public school library. The Librarian special ordered stuff for me from another library.

OH And I think I read the Heinlein juvies around then.

I think we just read of out a "reader" aka textbook for school.

We did have a book report assignment and we got more points for longer books, and I remember I chose The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsaratt.    I think it was my step-Dad's suggestion, as it is one of his favorites.  I can't remember if I liked it or not, but I do remember that it impressed my teacher.  :lol:   Other than that I read a lot of Star Trek books and some other random mysteries and sci-fi books from the adult section of the library.  At the beginning of 6th grade I eschewed the Children's section as being too juvenile for an advanced reader like myself, and I don't think "teen" library sections had been invented yet.  Ah, the joys of being a sixth grader that thought reading Star Trek novels was more advanced than reading classics of Children's lit...LOL!

Edited by kirstenhill
  • Like 1

Cave Bear isn't smut, exactly. I mean, there's rape, and lots of it, but it's not intended to be titillating so, therefore, not smutty.

And there is lots of botany... completely possible to ignore the sex for the fascinating botany...

• Like 1

At the end of 5th grade I read Gone With the Wind.  :lol:

My mom brought home a copy to read it herself, I absconded and was three chapters in before she figured it out. She let me keep reading. My 5th grade teacher said (at the first of May when I started it) that if I finished and gave her a synopsis before the end of school, Automatic A. Not that I needed that kind of extra credit in LA anyway. But man. I ripped through that book in three weeks! Just devoured it! It is still one of my all time favorite reads. In 6th grade my friend and I read the entire school library's collection of Nancy Drew books. Loved those!! 

• Like 2

Ooo yes, A Wrinkle in Time, Choose Your Own Adventure, fairy tales, Agatha Christie... I think the Agatha Christie were on audiobook.  I went through a big audiobookphase.  On cassette tape.   :thumbup1: 

Edited by OhElizabeth

I clicked on this thread to say that I, too, read all of the then published VC Andrews canon by 6th grade. Lots and lots of terrible YA books. Non-textbook assigned reading started in 7th grade (Hobbit, Romeo and Juliet, To Kill a Mockingbird, probably more. I did not read the Red Pony or Where the Red Fern Grows, because those were options in the "regular" class, and I still have not read them.

This was my experience as well.

I did read Where The Red Fern Grows, The Outsiders, some Jane Austin