Menu

Graduation gift ideas

MEmama

The daughter of one of my husband's co-workers is graduating high school and I'd like to bring her a small gift. We don't know her well, but she has "babysat" DS a couple times and we see her around town now and then.

I'm thinking something like a Target gift card for dorm supplies, but I'm sure there are more interesting ideas.

Thanks!

Because my middle child swims with older kids, we give multiple graduation gifts every year.  I resist the gift card thing for every occasion other than graduation, but we have also given monogrammed necklaces--silver, I think, from someone on etsy (the girls LOVED these, but this was two or three years ago, and they might not be a thing any more); soft-sided monogrammed make-up cases with a gift card inside; monogrammed blanket in the colors of her future college; monogrammed Tervis tumblers for the dorm; and, the easiest and probably most appreciated, a cute jar full of M&Ms or similar, with a gift card peeking out of the candy.  The size of the gift card correlates directly with how much I (since I am paying) like the kid and his or her parents.  We switch it up by year, but everyone of the same gender gets the same present (with, perhaps, variations in the gift card amount) each year.  Target is a good gift card if you're going that route, because even if the graduate doesn't need anything from Target, her parents do and can buy it from her.  When my kids get Targeted out, that's what I do--I give them cash  use their gift cards for cleaning supplies.

P.s.:  Amazon offers free shipping on their gift cards even if you are not a Prime member or, at least, they used to.

Edited by plansrme
  • Like 2

I come from a large family and we have several graduates every year.

We are also not a big gift card family, but we always make an exception for graduations. There's so many little things to purchase that you don't always think about until you're at the dorm, or in a new home (college graduates), and those gift cards come in so handy!  And like plansrme, I'm always happy to 'buy' Target or BBB gift cards off my kids, nieces or nephews because there's always something I need there.

For the kids in our family I usually give a gift card bouquet - practical (gas or grocery card), fun (movie or local entertainment), necessary (Target or BBB) and splurge (iTunes, Amazon, B&N, clothing store, airline, Visa) with some mini-candies thrown into the bouquet to fill it out.

For kids of friends, or my kids' friends I usually give a card with just one gift card or cash. Sometimes I'll add a small personal item, such as a necklace, nice pen, personalized stationary and stamps, etc. Nothing exciting LOL. 

I really like Caroline's idea of the college tee-shirt throw pillow!

• Like 2

Great ideas!

I normally wouldn't give a gift card, but we don't know her well and I figure it's always useful. I love the idea of an M&M jar as a "holder". She's a serious runner though (scholarship for running) so probably really health conscious. Maybe I can keep the M&Ms for myself...;)

• Like 3

I'm sure I got this idea from this board. I always give a check in the amount of the year they graduate. This year it is $20.16. This has been a unique gift (though I know others do it too) and it has the added benefit that if I don't get a thank you note, I know they received it when the check is cashed.

Cute idea!