Menu

CAUTION: waaaaay TMI in this thread - ? for menstrual cup users

Momto6inIN

OK, so on the recommendation of different threads on this board, I bought a menstrual cup and no exaggeration it has changed. my. life. Wow. It took 5 months-ish to get used to it and to learn to insert it correctly, but now I think I have the hang of it and I love it and I never want to go back to any other way.

BUT ...

It seems I have a short cervix. I came across this as a possibility in my research before buying and suspected I might, since I can reach my cervix easily (and I even have short stubby fingers). So I bought a Femmy Cycle since they have a "low cervix" option that is shorter than typical cups, from what I understand. But even so, after leaving the cup in all day, I find it has kind of ... sorry, here comes the way TMI ... suctioned onto and stretched and pulled my cervix so that as I remove the cup it just kind of protrudes there into my vaginal canal and hangs there like a finger. I've had 5 kids, so I guess it's stretchy? I don't know?

I switched to using the cup during the day and pads at night, and by morning it's usually back to normal. At my last yearly, I told my NP about it and asked her to check my cervix for anything that looks "wrong" in there. She said she'd never really looked into menstrual cups and so doesn't know much about them but that my cervix looked fine as far as she could tell.

On the one hand, I can't help but feel like this is not a good thing to be doing to my body. But on the other hand, I don't want to give up my cup.

Anybody else have this issue? Would a different brand work better? Maybe not create as much suction? Please help!!!

I will be in and out on the boards tonight, so I might not reply right away, but I will be back to check responses! :) Thanks!

I suspect that your problem is that you aren't breaking the suction before you remove it.  You should reach in one finger and push on the side of the cup to break suction.  That way you don't have any pulling when you remove.  The cup riding up high near your cervix shouldn't be a problem by itself, it's the pulling on removal that is causing your issue, I think.

• Like 9

Yes, I think it is supposed to create a suction, optimally. That is what keeps everything going into the cup. Tammy is right; dislodge the suction first.

That said, I have only used Diva and don't know if some are more suctioning than others.

• Like 2

After looking at the website for femmy cup, I think maybe you should try a different cup. This one has a special design that uses negative pressure (!?!) to pull blood into it, no air holes, and you are supposed to pull on the ring to get it out. I think all of those probably contribute to your problem. I break the suction on mine by pressing in on the side, otherwise it can hurt coming out. Mine doesn't leak if I have it in right, nor does it spill. Remember you can cut the stem if it is too long, I used a nail file to sand down the cut edge.

This blog has a great size chart. There is another brand that is just as short.

http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2012/04/what-menstrual-cup-is-right-for-you/

• Like 3

I've just been off googling "Femmy Cycle suction" and it looks like many other women have the same problem with the Femmy Cycle. I got it originally because I liked the idea of "no spill design" and because it looked less intimidating somehow than the other brands for a newbie, but now that I have some experience with inserting it, it looks like I should get a different brand.

• Like 1

I have experienced something similar to what you described, though not as extreme.  I tried regular-sized cups and simply could not use them.  I finally found the MeLuna cup - it has a "shorty" option that is the only cup I can comfortably use.  I do think that releasing the suction before pulling out the cup makes a big difference.

• Like 2

After looking at the website for femmy cup, I think maybe you should try a different cup. This one has a special design that uses negative pressure (!?!) to pull blood into it, no air holes, and you are supposed to pull on the ring to get it out. I think all of those probably contribute to your problem. I break the suction on mine by pressing in on the side, otherwise it can hurt coming out. Mine doesn't leak if I have it in right, nor does it spill. Remember you can cut the stem if it is too long, I used a nail file to sand down the cut edge.

This blog has a great size chart. There is another brand that is just as short.

http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2012/04/what-menstrual-cup-is-right-for-you/

Thank you, that chart is great!

• Like 1

I have experienced something similar to what you described, though not as extreme.  I tried regular-sized cups and simply could not use them.  I finally found the MeLuna cup - it has a "shorty" option that is the only cup I can comfortably use.  I do think that releasing the suction before pulling out the cup makes a big difference.

After looking at sarasue's chart, I think this is the one I'm going with. Glad to hear someone else has success with it!

Yep make sure that suction is broken first.

The Meluna looks like an awesome cup and I have seriously considered getting it. I had a sckoon cup first and LOVED it. It was amazing! It had a *ahem* accident though and I bought an Anigan/Evacup when I replaced it. I hate that cup. Idk why but it doesn't fit me and it HURTS. I get massive, can't stand up cramps every time I use it. I bought a Flower Cup "Blossom" as a quick cheap replacement because the Anigan was so awful. The Blossom fits and works fine. No real complaints. I plan to get another Sckoon or try to Meluna when I'm ready to buy another cup. Sometimes it just takes some trial and error to find the right fit but I've heard great things about the Meluna. Good luck!

• Like 1

I have been using the Instead cup for a few years (I use a new one each cycle). But after reading everyone's recommendation here, I bought a cup and used it last month.  Not comfortable for me at all.  It worked okay, but it was awkward and even after I cut off the stem I could feel it.  I had trouble un-suctioning, and I think I have a low cervix or something... I don't know.  I think I'm going to go back to the Instead.  It works different than the other cups, but seems to work well for me.

• Like 1

Can I ask a question on this thread, kind of on topic?  One of these stupid questions :closedeyes:     When I read the different reviews regarding sizes they will usually note for a woman who have or haven't given birth.  What if I have had one planned c-section?  Does that mean I haven't given birth as far as a cup is concerned?  That is what I am assuming.    :confused1:

Edited by zimom
  • Like 1

Can I ask a question on this thread, kind of on topic?  One of these stupid questions :closedeyes:     When I read the different reviews regarding sizes they will usually note for a woman who have or haven't given birth.  What if I have had one planned c-section?  Does that mean I haven't given birth as far as a cup is concerned?  That is what I am assuming.    :confused1:

Still use the one for women who have given birth. You were still pregnant which is the key factor there regardless of birth method. The reason is "as we age, our hips naturally widen and the vaginal muscles lose elasticity" (direct quote from http://divacup.com/how-it-works/sizing/). 

This site: http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2012/04/what-menstrual-cup-is-right-for-you/ has a great comparison of cups. Another possibility might be to order a cheaper cup brand (like The Flower Pot) to test first. Then you can compare the measurements of that cup to others to see what might fit you best. I've had 3 cups and each was a different fit/feel.

• Like 1

Still use the one for women who have given birth. You were still pregnant which is the key factor there regardless of birth method. The reason is "as we age, our hips naturally widen and the vaginal muscles lose elasticity" (direct quote from http://divacup.com/how-it-works/sizing/). 

This site: http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2012/04/what-menstrual-cup-is-right-for-you/ has a great comparison of cups. Another possibility might be to order a cheaper cup brand (like The Flower Pot) to test first. Then you can compare the measurements of that cup to others to see what might fit you best. I've had 3 cups and each was a different fit/feel.

Thanks.  Well I have already tried a Diva which was a big fail.  I didn't know if it was being pregnant or the act of giving birth.  The quote from Diva above notes aging....  hmm.  

• Like 1