Menu

PSAT 10 vs. regular PSAT?

Follow up question:  It looks like you can't sign up for the PSAT via the CB website.  Should I wait until September to start contacting local high schools?  Have you had much success in finding a location to take the PSAT?  

I'm going to try to get my DD#1 in to take the PSAT in the fall. Our local school won't let anyone from the outside (even a local child of a tax payer) take the PSAT, so I contacted the next-school district-over. They hardly have anyone take the PSAT, but have no issue with a couple of homeschoolers taking it with their 3-4 kids. I have to send a note this summer to remind the counselor to order one for my DD. This is the school that DD toured this spring because DH wants to send her to a brick-and-mortar in the fall. The counselor at this school was really nice & said she'd order DD a test even if she didn't end up going to school there.

Your mileage may vary. Past threads indicate that starting early (now) & confirming periodically (again at the beginning of the school year) was the way to go.

• Like 3

Follow up question:  It looks like you can't sign up for the PSAT via the CB website.  Should I wait until September to start contacting local high schools?  Have you had much success in finding a location to take the PSAT?  

My ds took the PSAT at a private school last fall. All I had to do was call and ask.

Kim

• Like 1

I called my local high school, which is in a homeschool friendly area, and talked to the guidance counsellor. He was a pretty laid back guy and said to call him a few weeks before the test. He also said, "We usually order a few extra tests, so you'll be fine even if you forget to call me."

I think you'll get different answers from every place you call. I'll be calling my school back because I don't want to rely on them ordering a few extra tests.

Call around until you find someone who will let you join them on test taking day. Some places won't let you join them, and some will.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that I found this odd.  DD took the PSAT last fall and I signed up on the website.  I wonder if something changed, or if it may be too early?

I second what others have said, though, about finding a willing site and bombarding the contact person with a constant stream of emails and staying in touch with the testing coordinator.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that I found this odd.  DD took the PSAT last fall and I signed up on the website.  I wonder if something changed, or if it may be too early?

I second what others have said, though, about finding a willing site and bombarding the contact person with a constant stream of emails and staying in touch with the testing coordinator.

Was this recently?  I was wondering whether I was checking the website too early for registration.  

As far as I know, you can't sign up for the PSAT online.  That is done through the high schools.  You can sign up for the SAT and the subject tests online.  Even the college board recommends contacting the school at least 4 months before the test (which means October minus 4 months = June.)  But if a school gets out before June, I would recommend calling in May. 

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/taking-the-tests/home-schooled

• Like 2

Was this recently?  I was wondering whether I was checking the website too early for registration.  

I signed up last fall through the website.  I cannot remember exactly when I did so, but I think it was likely in August.  During the registration, I selected a particular school as the testing site.  I had already contacted the school to make sure that homeschoolers were welcome.  I was thanked for the advance notice and was told that, although they always ordered a few extra tests, they liked having a more accurate head-count.  I'll go check the website and see if it records when I registered.

• Like 1

I signed up last fall through the website.  I cannot remember exactly when I did so, but I think it was likely in August.  During the registration, I selected a particular school as the testing site.  I had already contacted the school to make sure that homeschoolers were welcome.  I was thanked for the advance notice and was told that, although they always ordered a few extra tests, they liked having a more accurate head-count.  I'll go check the website and see if it records when I registered.

Argh.  I cannot find when I registered.  I even went through my PayPal and credit card accounts.  It was most definitely online, though, and there is a code you enter that is specific for homeschoolers in your state.

• Like 1