Menu

Are these course descriptions ok?

I've tried to follow guidelines people have posted, but most of you seem to say you have about a paragraph. Mine came out to much less than that. What am I missing?

Geometry

A year long course covering measurement, fundamental terms and postulates and theorems, triangles, other polygons, and circles. Formal geometric proofs were required for each lesson. Assessment by lesson quizzes, unit tests, and comprehensive exam.

Text: Geometry:  A Complete Course by Video Text Interactive

English I

A year long course covering literature, composition, grammar, and vocabulary. Annotation techniques, examples of literary devices, and plot structure were studied in order to critically analyze works of literature and write about them, using short stories first and then full-length novels. Assessment by weekly vocabulary and grammar exercises, class discussion of works of literature, and literary analysis essays.

Reading list: “The Gift of the Magi†by O. Henry, “The Most Dangerous Game†by Richard Connell, “The Necklace†by Guy de Maupassant, “A Jury of Her Peers†by Susan Glaspell, “A Fight with a Cannon†by Victor Hugo, “The Open Window†by Saki, The Odyssey by Homer, Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

Texts: Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis by Lesha Myers, Excellence in Literature: Reading & Writing through the Classics by Janice Campbell, Vocabulary from Classical Roots by Norma Fifer and Nancy Flowers (Books A and B), Analytical Grammar:  The Great World Authors by R. Robin Finley and Erin M. Karl

Biology I with lab

A year long course covering classification, characteristics and study of Kingdoms Monera, Protista, Fungi, Animalia, and Plantate, basic biochemistry concepts, cell function and reproduction, genetics, evolution, and ecology. Assessment by lab reports (including microscope work sketches and dissections), unit tests, and semester exams.

Labs completed: Using a Biological Key, Pond Life under the Microscope, Fermentation, Diffusion, Osmosis, Cell Structure, DNA Extraction, Mitosis, Greenhouse Effect, Earthworm Dissection, Crayfish Dissection, Insect Classification, Perch Dissection, Frog Dissection, pH, Flower Anatomy, Bird Embryology

Texts: Exploring Creation with Biology by Dr. Jay L. Wile and Marilyn F. Durnell, Body of Evidence by David Menton, Ph.D. (DVD series)

Ancient World History

A year long course covering human world history from the first civilizations approx.. 4000 B.C. to the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 A.D. as well as aspects of world geography as it intersected with the different areas of the world that were studied. Particular attention was given to exploring world religions and their impact on human history. Assessment by weekly map work, class discussion, and term papers.

Texts: The Mystery of History Volume I and Volume II by Linda Lacour Hobar, The Western Tradition by Annenberg Learner (online video lectures), Cultural Geography by Michael D. Matthews, Handbook of Today’s Religions by Josh McDowell and Don Stewart

Spanish I

A year long course covering basic Spanish vocabulary and grammar including basic needs, greetings, travel, description of characteristics, and present tense verb conjugation in both speech and written work. An emphasis was put on comprehending native speakers. Assessment by lesson quizzes and unit tests.

Text: Visual Link Languages Level I Spanish Course by U.S. Institute of Languages

Introduction to Logic & Rhetoric

A one semester course covering informal logic and logical fallacies as well as the common topics of the argument-discovery method and how to apply them to creating logically sound arguments. Assessment by class discussion, quizzes to identify common logical fallacies in advertising, political campaigns, and other media, and composing written arguments for and against certain issues using the common topics.

Text: The Art of Argument by Aaron Larsen, Joelle Hodge, and Chris Perrin, The Argument Builder by Shelly Johnson

Computer Science – Java

A one semester course covering features of the Java programming language, program design and OOP concepts, and algorithms. Assessment by unit quizzes and evaluation of student-created programs and projects. Achieved a score of 5 on the Computer Science A AP exam.

Text: Teen Coder Java Programming by Homeschool Programming, Inc.

• Like 2

I guess I was thinking by paragraph people meant just the description itself, not including the reading lists, labs, and texts info as well. And since mine were just 2-3 sentence fragments, I was worried. Whew! Now I feel better. :)

• Like 4

The one I don't like is the programming one.  You buried the fact that he took an AP, which is important.

Honors Computer Science – Java

A one semester course covering features of the Java programming language, program design and OOP concepts, and algorithms. Assessment by unit quizzes and evaluation of student-created programs and projects.

Honors credit awarded for a score of 5 on the Computer Science A AP exam.

• Like 4

The one I don't like is the programming one. You buried the fact that he took an AP, which is important.

Honors Computer Science – Java

A one semester course covering features of the Java programming language, program design and OOP concepts, and algorithms. Assessment by unit quizzes and evaluation of student-created programs and projects.

Honors credit awarded for a score of 5 on the Computer Science A AP exam.

Thank you for that feedback! I like that wording better.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I've tried to follow guidelines people have posted, but most of you seem to say you have about a paragraph. Mine came out to much less than that. What am I missing?

Geometry

A year long course covering measurement, fundamental terms and postulates and theorems, triangles, other polygons, and circles. Formal geometric proofs were required for each lesson. Assessment by lesson quizzes, unit tests, and comprehensive exam.

Text: Geometry:  A Complete Course by Video Text Interactive

English I

A year long course covering literature, composition, grammar, and vocabulary. Annotation techniques, examples of literary devices, and plot structure were studied in order to critically analyze works of literature and write about them, using short stories first and then full-length novels. Assessment by weekly vocabulary and grammar exercises, class discussion of works of literature, and literary analysis essays.

Reading list: “The Gift of the Magi†by O. Henry, “The Most Dangerous Game†by Richard Connell, “The Necklace†by Guy de Maupassant, “A Jury of Her Peers†by Susan Glaspell, “A Fight with a Cannon†by Victor Hugo, “The Open Window†by Saki, The Odyssey by Homer, Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

Texts: Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis by Lesha Myers, Excellence in Literature: Reading & Writing through the Classics by Janice Campbell, Vocabulary from Classical Roots by Norma Fifer and Nancy Flowers (Books A and B), Analytical Grammar:  The Great World Authors by R. Robin Finley and Erin M. Karl

Biology I with lab

A year long course covering classification, characteristics and study of Kingdoms Monera, Protista, Fungi, Animalia, and Plantate, basic biochemistry concepts, cell function and reproduction, genetics, evolution, and ecology. Assessment by lab reports (including microscope work sketches and dissections), unit tests, and semester exams.

Labs completed: Using a Biological Key, Pond Life under the Microscope, Fermentation, Diffusion, Osmosis, Cell Structure, DNA Extraction, Mitosis, Greenhouse Effect, Earthworm Dissection, Crayfish Dissection, Insect Classification, Perch Dissection, Frog Dissection, pH, Flower Anatomy, Bird Embryology

Texts: Exploring Creation with Biology by Dr. Jay L. Wile and Marilyn F. Durnell, Body of Evidence by David Menton, Ph.D. (DVD series)

Ancient World History

A year long course covering human world history from the first civilizations approx.. 4000 B.C. to the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 A.D. as well as aspects of world geography as it intersected with the different areas of the world that were studied. Particular attention was given to exploring world religions and their impact on human history. Assessment by weekly map work, class discussion, and term papers.

Texts: The Mystery of History Volume I and Volume II by Linda Lacour Hobar, The Western Tradition by Annenberg Learner (online video lectures), Cultural Geography by Michael D. Matthews, Handbook of Today’s Religions by Josh McDowell and Don Stewart

Spanish I

A year long course covering basic Spanish vocabulary and grammar including basic needs, greetings, travel, description of characteristics, and present tense verb conjugation in both speech and written work. An emphasis was put on comprehending native speakers. Assessment by lesson quizzes and unit tests.

Text: Visual Link Languages Level I Spanish Course by U.S. Institute of Languages

Introduction to Logic & Rhetoric

A one semester course covering informal logic and logical fallacies as well as the common topics of the argument-discovery method and how to apply them to creating logically sound arguments. Assessment by class discussion, quizzes to identify common logical fallacies in advertising, political campaigns, and other media, and composing written arguments for and against certain issues using the common topics.

Text: The Art of Argument by Aaron Larsen, Joelle Hodge, and Chris Perrin, The Argument Builder by Shelly Johnson

Computer Science – Java

A one semester course covering features of the Java programming language, program design and OOP concepts, and algorithms. Assessment by unit quizzes and evaluation of student-created programs and projects. Achieved a score of 5 on the Computer Science A AP exam.

I think most of these look pretty good.  

If the course was high school level, you might state that.  If it was an AP course, or was prep for the AP exam, then you may want to call that out.  If it wasn't an officially approved AP course, you could say something like Computer Science - Java (with AP Exam) for a title.  You could also point out that this was a college level or rigorous course at the beginning of the description.

The Common App homeschool questions on the counselor side asked for information about how often courses met and what assessments were done.  If you have this info in the description, you can say something like See Course Descriptions in that section.  

Were any of these courses done with outside entities?  Coop, online classes, etc?  I made specific mention of that when it applied.  

I think you are on the right track.

A little thing, but I put each text on its own line, rather than running them one after the other.  I felt that it made it easier to skim.

• Like 2

Your course descriptions look very good to me. I agree with JanetC that you need to make the programming course honors due to the AP test results. In addition to that, I've included a section on our transcripts for standardized test scores that include SAT, AP and other test results.

Edited by DebbS
  • Like 2

I guess I was thinking by paragraph people meant just the description itself, not including the reading lists, labs, and texts info as well. And since mine were just 2-3 sentence fragments, I was worried. Whew! Now I feel better. :)

They look great. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

I think most of these look pretty good.

If the course was high school level, you might state that. If it was an AP course, or was prep for the AP exam, then you may want to call that out. If it wasn't an officially approved AP course, you could say something like Computer Science - Java (with AP Exam) for a title. You could also point out that this was a college level or rigorous course at the beginning of the description.

The Common App homeschool questions on the counselor side asked for information about how often courses met and what assessments were done. If you have this info in the description, you can say something like See Course Descriptions in that section.

Were any of these courses done with outside entities? Coop, online classes, etc? I made specific mention of that when it applied.

I think you are on the right track.

A little thing, but I put each text on its own line, rather than running them one after the other. I felt that it made it easier to skim.

I wondered about putting "high school level" in there somewhere ... but then that seemed so obvious. But maybe that's so I can make a distinction between AP and normal high school courses?

I guess I need to read up on transcripts. So far the stuff I've read does not show transcripts as detailed as this.

His official transcript is a one page document with just course names and grades organized by year. This is a separate document I'll need to include with his applications. Hope that helps!

Also, after each course description, I included: (for example)

Course Grade: 100%= A AP Test Score: 5

Course Completed: 6/2016. Credit : 1.0

I made the decision that it was a course description, not a grade book, and did not include percentage scores in the class. (Which was handy for me because I didn't grade everything out of 100 points. Some were qualitative grades.)

It's up to you what you want to do.

• Like 3

I guess I need to read up on transcripts. So far the stuff I've read does not show transcripts as detailed as this.

My transcript is only one page. I put this type info in a course description. Depending on the application the college either got the transcript and course descriptions uploaded or mailed as a packet. If I was mailing, I usually also include the two page school profile I wrote for the Common App.

I don't expect that they read every description. I expect they skimmed it or checked out a couple specific courses.

• Like 1

I wondered about putting "high school level" in there somewhere ... but then that seemed so obvious. But maybe that's so I can make a distinction between AP and normal high school courses?

My kids had several AP and CC classes so I was drawing a distinction. I also think it may be worth stating the obvious that it was high school level and not lower. But I don't have a hard position on this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few sample course descriptions ~

This one was taken at the local community college:

WR 121 - English Composition: Exposition and Introduction to Argument

This is the fundamental course for all writing students that introduces students to the conventions of academic writing. It emphasizes defining and developing a significant topic and using principles of clear thinking to support an assertive thesis. Students should understand their subject matter, audience, purpose, and point-of-view, and demonstrate that understanding through the organization and development of their essays. Students should analyze and evaluate other writers' work to sharpen their critical abilities as readers and writers.
4.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.)  Awarded 0.50 credits.

The next one was taken at our local homeschooling resource center (similar to a co-op):

Literature:  A Little Middle English

In this class students read portions of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, stories which have delighted English readers for 700 years.  Students read and interpret the stories together using the original Middle English text.  Several short reflective writing topics are assigned. (Class taken at Y Co-op in 10th grade.)  Awarded 0.25 credits.

The next two were home designed courses:

World Literature from 1700 to 2000

A study of 18th through 20th century short stories and novels with the intent of familiarizing the student with selected literary works of enduring quality.  This interdisciplinary course (see the associated History course below) allows the student to explore this time period by reading its literature while also studying its historical context.  (Class taken at home in 9th grade.)  Awarded 0.50 credits.

World History from 1700 to 2000
This reading-based course covers world-changing events of the 18th through 20th centuries which have shaped our culture today; it complements the associated Literature course (listed above) by giving the student a context for the literature studied. The course also includes musical recordings, documentaries, and videos of or about the time. Map work and short writing assignments are required. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

You'll note that I did not include textbook names or novel titles in my course descriptions. I included separate reading and textbook lists with that information.

For classes that my daughter took at the local community college (indicated as ZCC above), I copied course descriptions from the college catalog.  Likewise, when my daughter took at class through PA Homeschoolers, I used their course description.  (I believe that I shortened it somewhat.)

For classes like Algebra 2 and Geometry where my daughter used a standard text, I used a search engine (Google) and input the terms "Algebra 2 course description plus the author of the text" and used those course descriptions as the basis of my own.

The World Literature and World History courses I listed above were homemade courses.  Once again, I used a search engine to look for the course descriptions of similar courses taught at the high school and college level.  I adjusted those to best describe the courses my daughter did at home.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

For classes like Algebra 2 and Geometry where my daughter used a standard text, I used a search engine (Google) and input the terms "Algebra 2 course description plus the author of the text" and used those course descriptions as the basis of my own.

This is a good idea, thanks!

• Like 1