Menu

Making K plans when expecting a baby...

Linz1084

I'm just looking for some feedback from some been-there moms.  I just found out we are expecting a baby in January.  So, in the middle of our kindergarten year.  I am considering two options, and I don't want to over-do it.  I want to choose something I will stick with.  I also will have a 3 and 4 year old (in addition to my 5.5 year old K'er)

First option:

AAR

HWOT

Singapore Math

Sonlight P4/5 + Ambleside for book options

Outdoor Secrets Companion for Science

My own Bible using Jesus Storybook/Vos/Songs for Saplings memory verses

-OR-

MFW K

I haven't loved the integrated phonics, etc. in MFW.  I do like the hands on.  I don't know if that simply wouldn't get done with a baby and if it would be easier to do option 1 so I can strip back more when I need to.  However, it would involve fewer parts to fit together.

What would you do?  Thanks for any help!!

And remember it's just Kindergarten.  I'd stick with option A but change it up a bit when Baby comes - I'd make sure to continue to do AAR and Math but everything else can go.  You could do read-alouds when nursing but otherwise, don't put the pressure on yourself to follow anyone's 'schedule'.  That's what I had a very hard time with with Sonlight and would probably also struggle with with MFW.  I love the "just do the next lesson" approach.  And then I use the Sonlight booklist for suggestions of what to read aloud and there you have Kindergarten!!!

I'll have a new baby in June as well as starting K and 2nd in Fall with the two oldest with a 4 year old sandwiched inside there.  I'm concerned about how things will go, but then I remind myself that teaching my K'er how to read and doing math consistently are all I need to do with him, and then I feel a tad bit better. :)  It's a difficult time with littles underfoot but absolutely doable.  Just don't set your expectations too high and roll with it.  

Best wishes!!

• Like 1

Well, our 4th will arrive in December. That's the middle of K for our oldest (soon to be 6). We also have a 4 yo and almost 3 yo.

My plan is Webster's Speller for reading/phonics and CSMP for math, with a little Miquon thrown in. I haven't decided on handwriting yet, but we will start that.

I will be completely happy if we do phonics/reading, math, handwriting, and some read-alouds almost every day. Throw in all the puzzles, legos, sand pile time, taking care of goats and chickens, and the rest of life and I hope it will suffice for K.

• Like 1

The first, I have actually had a few remedial students from MFW K phonics--I was surprised when I saw how good the actual phonics were, but the scheduled nature of it and the reading ahead of the stories caused problems for a few students. You need to be able to move at your own pace and use stories that are not talked about in advance or those prone to guess will guess from knowing the story ahead of time.

You may find my new charts and cards helpful and fun:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/608521-new-phonics-charts-with-cartoons/

And Read, write, type is a good online way to get a bit of phonics done during your worst pregnancy/early baby days, once they learn how to use it, they can do it on their own.

We are expecting #4 in October, and I'm planning a grade 3 and a K year for my other kids.

I am going really straight-forward for the K program, which may have some grade 1 elements - ds will be 6.5 when he starts so may progress quickly.

Math - a bit of a combination of oral math, writing numbers practice, some of the early MM stuff, maybe some Singapore since I have the book for that level.  But mostly oral based word problems and some oral problems using manipulatives.  10 -15 min a day

Reading - simple phonics I am looking at using an online site. Up to 20 min a day

Writing - a cursive program. 5 min a day

He'll join his sister for a few read-alouds a day - we will have one that is a Bible or saint story, and one other,I am looking at doing a lot of audio books, maybe with some colouring or other activity, for that.

For science we will mostly just try and get out a lot - we tend to do it in the summer, this year we are concentrating on amphibians - we use a lot of Outdoor Adventure Hour materials.  He likes science documentaries, especially if I watch with him, in the winter.

But really, for him, reading and writing are the thing - I'm not even terribly concerned if K math falls by the wayside.

Hi, last year we did K4, so I guess a little different, but also had a baby in Jan and a toddler running around, as well as my 4yo.  We did OPGTR and Saxon K.  Didn't worry about handwriting at all.  We did Five in a Row on an as able basis to cover other things and have fun.  After about 38 weeks I was rather miserable, and rather than make everyone else miserable we stopped school until about 6 weeks after baby.  Now we are doing R&S 1 (much more mommy friendly, less moving parts, less for the toddler to rip apart as we are trying to work), Dancing Bears (he had leveled out on OPGTR and is thriving with the change), and handwriting (Getty Dubay).

My advice is that there is nothing at this age you can't make up for later, so just go with the flow, pick simple things that can't be ripped apart by a maurading toddler (can you tell I'm traumatized?), and give yourself a break when you need it :)

Best,

LMC

• Like 1

First option:

AAR

HWOT

Singapore Math

This is what I would recommend as well. Focus on the 3 R's, supplement with other topics for fun as time allows.

Yes.  Phonics, handwriting, and math.  Focus on the minimums and get lots of books from the library just to have around to look at and to read when you're feeling up to it.  

Just a caution.  Sometimes when you're new to homeschooling and buy the all in one curriculum, it's hard to edit stuff out.  You feel like since it's written down you should do it and if you don't, you feel like you're failing your child.  If you keep it to the basics, they are still getting a good education and you're not burning out.  The basics was kindergarten for all of my homeschooled kids.  Everything else (history, science) is gravy.  

• Like 1

Also, toddlers and crafts or toddlers and science experiments are enough to make a mom go nutty immediately.  There's nothing like the chaos a toddler can bring to the table and the "me do it myself" that makes the whole hands on experience for the older child go downhill very quickly.  

• Like 1

Option 1.

I had baby #4 in January of last year. I had grades K, 2, and 5. We actually got more done after baby was born than we did during pregnancy (with medical issues). My newborns, thankfully, all sleep a lot, so homeschooling was relatively easy. This year with a toddler has been a bit harder. Now she takes only one nap a day, she wants mom all the time, she screams during read alouds sometimes, and she's generally into everything like a good little 15 month old. :D

The good news is, K and 1st don't need to take a long time. My issues this year have been more with being able to spend time with my 3rd and 6th graders. My first grader was easy. :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Also, toddlers and crafts or toddlers and science experiments are enough to make a mom go nutty immediately.  There's nothing like the chaos a toddler can bring to the table and the "me do it myself" that makes the whole hands on experience for the older child go downhill very quickly.  

This.  Please remember this.  Every week.  K is just reading and math, maybe a little handwriting.  That's all.   I wish I could have told myself this when I first began to homeschool with a newborn.  It took many, many tears (and 2 more newborns) for me to realize this.   You have many more years ahead for science and history.  Take it easy when you have a baby in the house.  That's an order! :) 

When my #4 came home, my oldest was 5.5yo in K and my middle two were 4yo and 22mo.  We took a couple of months off -- my newborns are apparently much higher maintenance than other people's, lol.  Then we focused on just the basics, reading, handwriting, and math.

You could try to throw in the "extras", but don't worry if you don't end up getting to them.  Your rest and sanity are more important at this point.