Menu

Genes responsible for twinning (sort of) Identified!

ktgrok

So, they've found two genes that seem to influence twinning (there are surely more). If you have done 23 and Me you can go to "tools" and search your raw data for them, they don't seem to be in promethease or livewello yet.  

The first gene is more linked,  rs11031006,  with an 18% increase in your chance of twins for each "G" copy you have. (normal is A). I have both G copies...my Dad is a fraternal twin, he has another set of fraternal twin brothers, and his mom, my maternal grandmother, was a twin herself. Seems I inherited the hyper ovulation gene. (no one tell my husband!). 

The other gene is rs17293443 and there is a 9% increase for a C allele (I don't have those). 

An article: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/28/475905344/genetic-variations-help-make-fraternal-twins-more-likely?sc=17&f=1001&utm_source=iosnewsapp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=app

• Like 7

So, they've found two genes that seem to influence twinning (there are surely more). If you have done 23 and Me you can go to "tools" and search your raw data for them, they don't seem to be in promethease or livewello yet.  

The first gene is more linked,  rs11031006,  with an 18% increase in your chance of twins for each "G" copy you have. (normal is A). I have both G copies...my Dad is a fraternal twin, he has another set of fraternal twin brothers, and his mom, my maternal grandmother, was a twin herself. Seems I inherited the hyper ovulation gene. (no one tell my husband!). 

The other gene is rs17293443 and there is a 9% increase for a C allele (I don't have those). 

An article: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/28/475905344/genetic-variations-help-make-fraternal-twins-more-likely?sc=17&f=1001&utm_source=iosnewsapp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=app

I am G/G for the first SNP - no twins in my family unless I go back several generations. Interesting.

I was excited to hear that!

I'm still waiting on the marker for identicals, because I'm convinced there is one.  Both of my grandmothers had a set of identical twin sisters, and I have a set of identical twin girls.  My oldest also had a twin that never developed past 6 weeks or so.  I think there is something genetic about the likelihood of an egg splitting.

• Like 1

I was excited to hear that!

I'm still waiting on the marker for identicals, because I'm convinced there is one.  Both of my grandmothers had a set of identical twin sisters, and I have a set of identical twin girls.  My oldest also had a twin that never developed past 6 weeks or so.  I think there is something genetic about the likelihood of an egg splitting.

I suspect the same in my family. At a family reunion on my dad's side, I did the math and determined that the family had a 1 in 30 birthrate for identical twins, as opposed to the general population rate of about 1 in 100 births.

• Like 1

Agreed, they may be something there. 

Interestingly, my father is supposedly an identical twin. And he does look a lot like his twin. But, all the boys in the family look a lot a like. And it seems beyond belief that my grandma was a twin herself, (unknown if identical or fraternal, and twin died at birth), then had a set of identical twins AND a set of fraternal twins. (the other set is very obviously fraternal...one blonde one dark like the other brothers). Seems way more likely me that both sets are fraternal,a and my dad and his twin just happen to look alike. I mean, it isn't like they were doing DNA testing back then, you know? 

I keep this theory to myself, as Dad likes being an identical twin :)

ktgrok, do you have a first cousin who is the child of your father's twin? Comparing genetic data with such a first cousin could be enlightening on that subject for your own curiosity without bursing your father's bubble.

• Like 1

ktgrok, do you have a first cousin who is the child of your father's twin? Comparing genetic data with such a first cousin could be enlightening on that subject for your own curiosity without bursing your father's bubble.

No, he never had children. Probably for the best, his wife was pretty mentally unstable. 

Either way, I think Grandma should have had her own reality show. She gave birth to 5 boys in 3 years! A set of twin boys, a year later a singleton boy, and a year later another set of twin boys. Several years later she finally had a girl, who to her great distress ended up being a total tomboy :)

• Like 1