Menu

Dr. Hive: Severe constipation

Barb_

Collin had his tonsils out on Monday and the codeine has created a nasty blockage. Here's what I've tried:

Stopping the codeine

Stool softeners

Kefir raspberry smoothies daily

Liquids

Time

It's been 5 days and he's in a lot of pain. The doctor isn't much help and says it'll resolve itself. I think at this point he may be holding it back? Any suggestions?

Fleet enema. This is what we used when we're in a desperate situation with our disabled dd and it has always worked for the immediate issue. If it were an ongoing problem I would then suggest Miralax, but if it was just a temporary problem due to meds, the enema should clear things up!

• Like 4

Fleet enema. This is what we used when we're in a desperate situation with our disabled dd and it has always worked for the immediate issue. If it were an ongoing problem I would then suggest Miralax, but if it was just a temporary problem due to meds, the enema should clear things up!

There's a brand for children. I used "Fleet enema" as a generic term like Kleenex and was strongly corrected here. :)

Same thing happened with DS. The Miralax worked but the next step was the children's enema. If your DS is in pain, I might go straight to the enema.

• Like 1

Everything that others have said, plus I'd switch him to only high-fiber foods that promote good bowel movements. It'll help it along now and keep things moving in the days after he has a bm.

No: cheese, refined flours, white rice, bananas, potatoes, applesauce, etc.

Yes: most fresh fruit and veg, raisins, shredded wheat, Fiber One products, juice, etc.

• Like 1

The glycerin suppositories ( I know that I didn't spell it right.) just insert and in 10 or 15 min it becomes much easier to move it all out. I had this problem when I broke my arm and was on pain meds for weeks. Then keep pushing the fluids a lot.. and all the other stuff helps to not become so constipated.

• Like 2

Everything that others have said, plus I'd switch him to only high-fiber foods that promote good bowel movements. It'll help it along now and keep things moving in the days after he has a bm.

No: cheese, refined flours, white rice, bananas, potatoes, applesauce, etc.

Yes: most fresh fruit and veg, raisins, shredded wheat, Fiber One products, juice, etc.

He's on a liquid diet because he had his tonsils out. I've been giving him berry/almond/coconut smoothies for fiber but I think the codeine created a a blockage like a little bath plug.

• Like 1

The glycerin suppositories ( I know that I didn't spell it right.) just insert and in 10 or 15 min it becomes much easier to move it all out. I had this problem when I broke my arm and was on pain meds for weeks. Then keep pushing the fluids a lot.. and all the other stuff helps to not become so constipated.

Okay we just bought some of these but are having a devil of a time convincing him to use them. He's 11 and is an aspie so it's going to be a delicate operation. I'll let you know if we are successful :)

• Like 1

This is what I have done and would do. It's quick and effective.

Our ENT recommended Miralax as a matter of course w/narcotics.

However, he said research showed the tylenol and ibuprofen alternation was just as good or better for pain without the side effects of the narcotics. We switched and found that to be true, but recovery is just hard no matter what you use.

• Like 1

Woohoo! Success! I gave him a four magnesium citrate capsules and put him in a warm Epsom salts bath with a cup of hot tea and lemon. We tried the glycerin first but no luck. I'm not sure what worked but thank goodness it's over. Thanks everyone!

• Like 6