Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW19: Happy Mother's Day

Robin M

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words, wishes, & prayers. They are much appreciated.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

More hugs and love and prayers and good thoughts.  Pm if you need anything.   :grouphug:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Angel's list of historical fiction....

I see both I, Claudius and People of the Book were mentioned already. I was also going to mention them.

I'm not sure I could come up with a seamless list of 20 through history. So, I'll just make some random suggestions (way too many of them are modern-day, I know) & maybe a few of them will slot into places or times you want:

Madame Tussaud [Revolutionary France]

The Fan-Maker's Inquisition (same time period as Madame Tussaud & prob. wouldn't meet your rating criteria, but it's so, so good) [Revolutionary France]

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress [China; Mao's Cultural Revolution in the 1970s]

Sunjata (more epic history than historical fiction) [Ghana & Mali; 1200s]

Good Morning Comrades [Angola; 1990s]

My Name is Red (this is a dense read, though; I'm sure I missed a ton of cultural references while reading it) [Turkey, 1500s]

The Distant Marvels [Cuba; 1900s]

The Nun [italy; 1800s]

The Book of Embraces (not historical fiction; I don't even know what it is exactly, but I had to put something South American on my list & this, to me, epitomizes much modern South American writing) [uruguay; 1900s]

The Wandering Falcon [iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan; 1900s]

I believe People of the Book is also in my Amazon list!  I know that over 3/4 of that list is recommendations from here!  I, Claudius is not, but I'll need to look it up.  Actually, I have a ton of looking up to do with all of these suggestions!

Thought I should let all the BaW aunties know that one of "your kids" who has been responsible for a few books discussed here over the years is graduating college this weekend.  Get the tissues ready!!  The whole nuclear family will be there for commencement, followed by a celebratory trip to ride extreme roller coasters.  Dh and I think our extreme roller coaster days are long gone, but we'll certainly ride a few! 

:party:  Congrats to college boy!  And carry the Kleenex!  So what do people on the west coast consider an Extreme Roller Coaster park?  Here in the Mid-West, it's Cedar Point!  I am not, nor ever have been, an extreme roller coaster rider but I live with 3 of them (the girls take after their daddy!).  That sounds like an absolute blast!!!

How about a Brother Cadfael mystery? They only cover Wales and England in the early 12th century but are historically accurate (aside from the mystery in each one of course). I'm on my tablet or I'd link for you. It's easy to find in a search though.

I completely agree with you about discussion and censorship. I have Infidel on my Kindle and plan to read it soon, but will add this one to my list.

Another that I had not considered and the first 2 are on my shelf!  I really enjoyed the first one!  I just acquired the 2nd last week and haven't had a chance to read it!

Angel...I am still thinking about your historical list. I second several of Rose's suggestions, especially People of the Book.

Now for some more general ideas. I really enjoyed Simon Winchester's Proffessor and the Madman. While that probably shouldn't be a top 20 read through history you might want to consider one of his others, maybe The Map that changed the World. I am pretty sure Jenn has read it recently. It is one of those on my list.

Now for the Tudors, I love that time period but most (probably all) of the books I can remember reading have explicit scenes. Two books that I am planning to try soon are Bess of Hardwick by Mary S. Lovell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/306403.Bess_of_Hardwick?ac=1&from_search=true and Antonia Fraser's The Wives of Henry the Eighth https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/530793.The_Wives_of_Henry_VIII?.

Bess is sitting on my nightstand because it is going to be my Dusty for bingo. A museum shop purchase which was inspired because Bess was an incredible woman. Her start in lfe was relatively humble but some consider her to have been Elizabeth I's best friend. She married four times well. She was Mary's jailer but also a close friend as evidenced by beautiful gifts from Mary at Hardwick Hall. She eventually married one of the wealthiest men in England and built Chatsworth. Her children married incredibly well. She created a dynasty......

Antonia Fraser is an author I just discovered. I am currently reading her Jemima Shore mystery series (too modern for this project) but she is also the author of several historical biographies which look incredible. I hope to read some of those in the fall. If the Henry one doesn't appeal maybe one of the others will.

For one last time period which I know you would enjoy you might like a local(for me) series about the Scrooby Pilgrims (Mayflower).http://www.mayflowermaid.com/home....couldn't find any good reviews so I linked her website. I haven't read these either but I did just put the first one, The Mayflower Maid on hold. I promise to read it in the next couple of months. One of my friends loved these. They are sold in the gift shop at Gainsborough Hall which was visited by Henry VIII. You can veiw his and Catherine Howard's bedrooms when you visit. ;)

I love reading about Tudor's as well, but you are right, they are hard to find clean!  I mean it is Henry the VIII and let's be honest, he was a little fixated on procreating a boy  :rofl:  I will definitely be looking up the Bess book for myself!

I would love one about the Scrooby Pilgrims!  This summer we are finishing the cycle (again) on our Christian history trips with our youth group at church.  We've done Williamsburg and areas south, Boston/Plimoth and areas surrounding, and finishing up this year with Philadelphia and areas surrounding.  Our youth would love to travel over the pond and do England and Holland!  Our church is really behind our trips and so are our parents but I'm not sure we could raise enough funds to do it!

• Like 6

To add to the historical fiction list, a few books I read last year and enjoyed:

Restoration and the sequel Merivel by Rose Tremain. 17th Century England (Eplicit)

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. Takes place during the siege of Masada by the Romans from the Jews in 73-74 CE. (Explicit)

The Physician by Noah Gordan 11th Century England and Persia. 

I just started reading My Antonia (18th Century America) as Rose recommended it a few days ago. I dusted it off my shelf and am already enjoying it. 

I also just finished reading For Whom the Bell Tolls which takes place during the Spanish civil war. 

• Like 7

Rose and others,

As the BBC celebrates Shakespeare, they are offering some plays for downloading. At the moment you can download The Winter's Tale and Lear. Others may be available in the weeks ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrv5m/episodes/downloads

Thank you! Fathom Events is also broadcasting BBC Worldwide and The Royal Shakespeare Company's The Shakespeare Show on May 23. We're not going because we have other plans already.

Fathom Events and BBC Worldwide North America invite you to celebrate 400 years of the world’s greatest playwright when The Shakespeare Show comes to select cinemas nationwide for a special one-night event on Monday, May 23.

Recorded live from the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon on the anniversary of Shakespeare’s death, the event known as Shakespeare Live, will be a once-in-a-lifetime celebration of Shakespeare’s plays and their enduring influence on music, dance, opera, musical theatre and comedy.

As part of a year-long celebration of the Bard, this star-studded show was conceived and directed by Gregory Doran and will be hosted by David Tennant and Catherine Tate and features Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, Benedict Cumberbatch, Helen Mirren, John Lithgow, David Suchet, Joseph Fiennes, Rufus Wainwright, Tim Minchin, Al Murray, Meera Syal, Alison Moyet, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Paapa Essiedu, Pippa Nixon, Alexandra Gilbreath, the Royal Ballet, the Orchestra of the Swan and many more.

• Like 7

Rose and others,

As the BBC celebrates Shakespeare, they are offering some plays for downloading. At the moment you can download The Winter's Tale and Lear. Others may be available in the weeks ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrv5m/episodes/downloads

Ack, and my modem just got crushed last night during a furniture move!! I'm here typing at the library, waiting for a new modem to come in the mail. Hopefully it arrives while this stuff is still available. Thanks for the word.

Y'all may not see much of me for the next week as I'll be unintentionally offline.  Maybe I can get a bunch of reading done . . . 

• Like 6

I sat down & read a whole book last night. I got sucked in & stayed up way, way too late.

It's the second one in that crime/world noir series I mentioned last week: Eleven Days by Stav Sherez. You all know I rarely read series, yet I am so enjoying this one. I guess now I'm going to have to wait until the author writes the next one! Both books have been gritty crime dramas with international/political overtones. They're really well-written & I've so enjoyed both of them. They've been good escapist reading for me. Here's a review that mirrors my own opinion.

Eleven Days, the follow-up to 2013’s acclaimed A Dark Redemption (New York Times, New Yorker, NPR), follows DI Jack Carrigan and DS Geneva Miller as they investigate a vicious fire that engulfs a quiet convent in West London. There were ten nuns in residence—their bodies discovered behind a locked door—and an eleventh body in the chapel. Who is this stranger, and who would target a group of nuns in a wealthy residential neighborhood? Battling church hierarchy and internal politics, Carrigan and Miller must parse through a vast network that reaches back to the early 1970s South America and the onset of the Liberation Theology movement, proving that these nuns are far more radical than first meets the eye. Meanwhile, a vicious new criminal element—possibly related to the convent fire—makes its presence felt in the streets of London. Eleven days before Christmas, Carrigan and Miller are in a race against time to solve a case that spans four decades and two continents, while contending with a homegrown threat that leaves the Met gasping for breath.

And, these days, I think escapist reading is what I need. My life has been a total chaotic, stressful mess for six months now. On top of everything else, our A/C broke a couple of weeks ago -- at least it was a fairly easy fix, but a hot couple of days until I could get someone out to fix it. Just now, it appears that my 23-year-old washing machine has broken mid-cycle, so I'm posting here rather than bailing soapy water. Wah. I liked my washing machine.

• Like 8

I sat down & read a whole book last night. I got sucked in & stayed up way, way too late.

It's the second one in that crime/world noir series I mentioned last week: Eleven Days by Stav Sherez. You all know I rarely read series, yet I am so enjoying this one. I guess now I'm going to have to wait until the author writes the next one! Both books have been gritty crime dramas with international/political overtones. They're really well-written & I've so enjoyed both of them. They've been good escapist reading for me. Here's a review that mirrors my own opinion.

And, these days, I think escapist reading is what I need. My life has been a total chaotic, stressful mess for six months now. On top of everything else, our A/C broke a couple of weeks ago -- at least it was a fairly easy fix, but a hot couple of days until I could get someone out to fix it. Just now, it appears that my 23-year-old washing machine has broken mid-cycle, so I'm posting here rather than bailing soapy water. Wah. I liked my washing machine.

I just went and reserved the Dark Redemption because these must be really good! :lol: ;) You do know the author has several other books......

:grouphug: I hated to like your post. You deserve a peaceful relaxing weekend.

I understand appliance failure too well. My oven gave up last week with a partially cooked roast dinner inside. We came home and dinner wasn't ready but the house smelled great and everyone was so hungry. I cut everything in small pieces and stir fried it with BBQ sauce. It was different! :lol:

• Like 7

I read All Things Bright and Beautiful - 5 Stars - What can I say? I simply love James Herriot. He was an absolute natural with story-telling. This book, just like his first, is heartwarming and puts the reader through an entire gamut of emotions.

9781250058126.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

Good to know!

Dd and I have it both on the to read pile

• Like 6

I understand appliance failure too well. My oven gave up last week with a partially cooked roast dinner inside. We came home and dinner wasn't ready but the house smelled great and everyone was so hungry. I cut everything in small pieces and stir fried it with BBQ sauce. It was different! :lol:

The plumber managed to flood our kitchen yesterday and ended up having to use sulfuric acid to clear a stubborn blockage. Last night we celebrated DD's birthday with a drying kitchen, dirty dishes everywhere, and the smell of sulfur lingering in the air. I guess we'll remember it, anyway.  :lol:

Edited by idnib
  • Like 7

I'm sorry for your appliance troubles. I didn't want to "like" your post but I do feel for you.

• Like 7

I just want to say I'm thankful for this group. You all are always kind, friendly and helpful - I've had some facebook interactions lately that have me shaking my head and fearing for the future of humanity. After all, if homeschool moms can't deal with each other with grace then what hope is there? I wish I could have a real life book meeting with all of you rather than being stuck in virtual world.

• Like 11

I just went and reserved the Dark Redemption because these must be really good! :lol: ;) You do know the author has several other books......

:grouphug: I hated to like your post. You deserve a peaceful relaxing weekend.

Hear, hear to the bolded.

Stacia, you know why I "liked" your post.  Just showing some support.

• Like 6

To add to the historical fiction list, a few books I read last year and enjoyed:

I just started reading My Antonia (18th Century America) as Rose recommended it a few days ago. I dusted it off my shelf and am already enjoying it. 

I also just finished reading For Whom the Bell Tolls which takes place during the Spanish civil war. 

I acquired a copy of My Antonia last month.  Which is better Death Comes for the Archbishop or My Antonia?

• Like 6

Idnib, here's a non-sulfuric-acid-smelling cupcake for your dd's belated birthday!

61.gif

Shawne, yes, this group is wonderful & I so wish we could all get together in real life. Thank you, everyone, for all your kindness, empathy, & laughter through both the good times & the bad. :thumbup1:

Shawne, thanks for the info on the Mother's Day movie. It would be a fun one to go see with my mom. And, to give a little hope (in light of the FB stuff you're mentioning), ds, dd, & I just got back from a homeschool graduation ceremony for a friend of ours. There were 8 seniors graduating & the ceremony was so lovely & personal for each of the graduates. Afterward, they hosted a reception that gave us a chance to catch up w/ some old homeschool friends (that we rarely get to see anymore since my kids are now in public school). Anyway, just a really nice afternoon/evening, feeling proud of this group of young people who will be helping lead the future throughout the upcoming decades. (And, the other bonus is that while the kids & I were out, dh was home bailing out the washing machine.)

Jenn, also sending huge congrats to your ds!!! :thumbup:

• Like 7

I acquired a copy of My Antonia last month.  Which is better Death Comes for the Archbishop or My Antonia?

I haven't read Death Comes for the Archbishop , but after reading My Antonia, I will. I am only about a quarter of the way into it, but it is do dang good. I am savoring every word. 

• Like 8

Oh no! It never rains but it pours, hunh? My beloved old stove gave up with a flash and a pop so I completely sympathize about not liking appliance switches. I also sympathize about staying up to finish a book. It always seems to happen when my life is most chaotic and I can afford to lose sleep the least. I steal escape time from the night when it doesn,t fit into my life any other way. I guess that goes to show that reading is more important than sleep. At least some of the time.

VC - have you read Hamlet in the Bush? It is a very fun article by an anthropologist floating around the web.

Butter - Adorable babies!!

Mumto2 - Daughter of Time was enlightening. It showed me what non-STEM academic research was, something public school and college completely failed to do.

Jenn - Oh!!! Congrats to him!!! Does he know how useful he has been to my sons? I love being part of a hive mind but I always wonder if our children have any idea how much a part of one they are, too. Best wishes for a gloriously interesting future to him!

All - Thank you very much for the kindle info!

Nan

• Like 6

I haven't read Death Comes for the Archbishop , but after reading My Antonia, I will. I am only about a quarter of the way into it, but it is do dang good. I am savoring every word. 

Minerva, I have checked out My Antonia twice now but have to return it to the library before I get to it. I really need to move it up to the top of my list. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 5