Menu

Is there any actual way to remove gallons of mud from a child's cotton shirt?

Ginevra

DS actually played outside yesterday for one of his co-op classes and if you live anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic, you will know we have had an amazing amount of rain. (It was actively raining nearly the entire day yesterday, too, so they played outside IN the rain.) Anyhow, DS fell (could have been intentional; he is made of rubber) and his clothes were absolutely covered in mud. His pants were black nylon-type athletic pants; they cleaned up fine. His shirt, though was actually one of his nice, non-Goodwill Lands End tee shirts, in a tie-dye pattern. The white parts of the tie-dye shirt are not coming clean. I Oxy-Clean sprayed it, then washed it in the regular laundry with additional Oxy Clean in the laundry. Repeated for another load. Still stained. :/

Any advice?

For future reference, you should let mud dry on clothing and then you can kind of scrape it off with a plastic spoon or brush or something. Wiping it away when wet tends to spread it and kind of grind it in.  Then you soak it in soapy water - I like to let my washing machine start the cycle and then pause it, mine can pause for 24 hours. After soaking, complete that wash and go straight to another one. 

If there are still stains, try Dawn dishwashing soap and a toothbrush, then repeat. This gets most everything, but once that mud is good and in the fibers, it's very hard to get ALL of it out. 

My advice is based on dds who own 4-wheelers and do Warrior Dash  :laugh:

• Like 1

Ox-Gall Soap. It is amazing.

I gave my German friend a bunch of stained hand-me downs and she "unstained" them with the Ox-Gall soap. I tried it on baby poop that had already gone through the wash without coming out and the thing looks new.

Emily

• Like 1

No advice, but sympathy. Those tie dyes are all DS wears, and we live close to you ... Same rain, same mud caking everything because they played outside here yesterday, too. We can go to park day, and my kid will be the only one to leave soaked, because he, ummmmm, "fell" in the creek. :) So yesterday was a mudfest.

FWIW, I'm trying Biz.