Menu

Question for Beast Academy Users

CAtoVA

I'm considering changing math curricula to BA for my DD next year (8, rising 3rd) and want to know what experienced BA users think of the program.

My DD is a capable, solid math student and we have been using Singapore Standards, MEP and Life of Fred (for fun) for K-2 but now I am wondering if she may find BA more intriguing. I love that Singapore is conceptually focused and stresses "deep" understanding and mental math. The issue is my DD usually finds math somewhat dull and is less than enthusiastic. She is a fanciful girl who loves stories, discussion, puzzles and "real life" scenarios. I want her to love math if possible not just get through it.

I noticed that BA doesn't seem to have graphs, time, money, etc., which Singapore has but I suppose I could supplement for that. I also like Singapore's use of bar models but I could add that in maybe.

Anyway, I thought I would ask the hive for some input—any thoughts on making the change, pros and cons of switching from Singapore to Beast Academy, etc. Thanks!

• Like 1

Would you be willing to use both?

The programs have different, but complementary approaches and they pair well. Sometimes I run both concurrently (with Singapore being the main and BA being a follow up). Sometimes I shelve Singapore and just focus on Beast (for example, we'll be finishing Singapore 4B in a couple of weeks, but will work on Beast 4 all summer).

I feel like the two programs together give a really well-rounded math education.

So if you don't mind buying both, that's a good option.

• Like 2

We used very little math curriculum before BA. I attempted to use Right Start and Math in Focus but it was basically a failure here. DD thrived on just living math until BA finally came out 4 years ago. She was 7.5 and in 2nd (3A and 3B released March 2012). It was our saving grace for math. She had very deep intuitive understanding at math but was very weak in the skill-based learning that most elementary programs focused on. BA appealed to her love of stories and cute creatures. Since then, we had to supplement with dozens of other things over the years as we outpaced it before we got to pre-algebra. But, we haven't used any other complete curriculum except BA.

And, it isn't because it's been easy. She has been frustrated and mad and angry at times. But, she stuck with it unlike anything before. It has helped her work on her perfectionist tendencies for sure! Her mental math skills are far superior to mine at this point too.

We still buy it even though she's about to move into algebra because it's like a dear friend. I don't think it's necessary to use another entire curriculum with it, especially since all the levels will likely be out before you get to the last 2 5C and 5D. However, there are lots of supplemental things you could use for extra practice or different perspectives.

• Like 2

Beast Academy has been an interesting animal in our house. It pushed my math-loving girl over the edge with its challenge level and now she appears to be coming back around to it after some time off.

3A is notoriously difficult, especially the shapes chapter. *I* gave up on some of the polyomino puzzles and I love math.

At the same time, it's a fabulous curriculum. Having done math through calculus, plus some contest math, I still learn new things from it. Yet it is written to the level of my child. Well, OK, maybe a bit above her, but she's young for it yet. It is thorough, intriguing, challenging, and has fun comics.

• Like 1

I am another mom using BA along with Singapore with my 10 year old. He was in private school for the past two years and not challenged at all with math so we had to back up and used BA 3A-D and Singapore 3A&B this year alternating days. My son seems to enjoy the cartoons and I really like the word problems and different ways of thinking about math that BA teaches, while doing basic math reviews and measurement, fractions, etc...in Singapore. I went to engineering college so I'm pretty good with math but I learn new things from BA. My FIL was also an engineer and I tend to think of this son as being most likely to follow in our footsteps.

• Like 1

DS has finished 3A and will start 3B on Monday (though I know he has peeked!). We did Miquon and some Singapore Standards Ed. before that.

I think it makes sense, if there's a topic your child hasn't covered yet or needs more work on, to pull something else alongside BA, maybe to do between topics. We've done Kumon books on time (in addition to keeping analog clocks in the living room and his bedroom) and math fact practice, and just played with money.

• Like 1

My 4th grade daughter is in 4d now - we have used it since 3A. I have also taught her the bar model method as she is a very concrete learner when it comes to math and she really benefits from the method. I haven't worried about time or money - she gets that in daily life, and it does deal with distances and weights and other units of measurement (inches, centimeters, etc). I will also say that the difficulty level does vary a lot. As my daughter is not a die hard math lover, I didn't stress when she didn't understand the chapter on squares in the level three, or when she struggled with the pentominoes or most challenging logic puzzles. As long as she has all the basics down solid and is stretched on the more challenging ones, I'm happy.

We are going to do a "problem solving seminar" this summer with my husband - her brother who is in Algebra has been saving some of his most challenging problems to work on and I will take some Singapore problems from the Intensive Practice book for my dd. I really like Singapore too much to let it completely go, but when it comes to Beast Academy, my dd absolutely adores it and says it has changed her life:-). She might not live math, but she loves those beasts!

• Like 1

Wow, great feedback—thanks!

I would be willing to use more than one math curriculum ( I do it now with MEP and Singapore). I also think it mixes things up, provides different perspectives and keeps things fun. I already have all the Singapore texts and teacher guides through 3rd because I used them with my DS when he was younger. I would only need to buy the workbooks if I used Singapore to supplement BA (if needed at all). That's an interesting idea to maybe run Singapore alongside BA (and/or maybe MEP which I also like quite a bit).

I am more and more leaning toward trying BA. I know my DD would LOVE the stories and cute creatures as deerforest noted. If it gets *too* difficult in a certain area I can back off there. It wouldn't stress me to let pentominoes "go" if need be. The last thing I want is to make my DD feel even less excited about math. Turning UP the excitement and interest is the plan. Can I say I love homeschooling? There's NO WAY my DD would get to try BA in any of our local schools.

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher
  • Like 1

It might assume that students have mastered telling time already, and that they know all their money denominations. Those tend to be 1st and 2nd grade subjects. If your child hasn't mastered then yet, by all means supplement for those.

I don't really think graphing needs to be "taught" exactly. It was something that many of us picked up along the way as we needed it. You could build it into your science, probably.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I think that how to best use Beast depends on the child.  One of my boys needs very little repetition to grasp and remember math and doesn't seem to mind wrestling with a challenge for extended periods of time, so he is using BA as a stand-alone.  Another of my boys requires more practice than BA offers and a bit of a spiral to keep skills from fading.  He can handle a challenge, but only in small doses, and he doesn't like to stick to one topic for very long.  So he's doing BA and RightStart.  I'm not even sure which is the spine and which is supplemental anymore... 

We use Singapore-style bar modeling, RightStart-style part-whole circle set modeling, free-style picture/arrow modeling, tables, etc for word problems.  They all have their uses and I think it's perfectly fine to mix and match, regardless of the curriculum being used.

I'm considering changing math curricula to BA for my DD next year (8, rising 3rd) and want to know what experienced BA users think of the program.

My DD is a capable, solid math student and we have been using Singapore Standards, MEP and Life of Fred (for fun) for K-2 but now I am wondering if she may find BA more intriguing. I love that Singapore is conceptually focused and stresses "deep" understanding and mental math. The issue is my DD usually finds math somewhat dull and is less than enthusiastic. She is a fanciful girl who loves stories, discussion, puzzles and "real life" scenarios. I want her to love math if possible not just get through it.

I noticed that BA doesn't seem to have graphs, time, money, etc., which Singapore has but I suppose I could supplement for that. I also like Singapore's use of bar models but I could add that in maybe.

Anyway, I thought I would ask the hive for some input—any thoughts on making the change, pros and cons of switching from Singapore to Beast Academy, etc. Thanks!

I think the reason you are not seeing those topics in BA is that by level they have finished covering money and time and such. I know my son is covering money in kinder and time is in 1st grade. He may already be doing time, but he goes to school so I am unsure what in all he is covering. I just know that he has covered money for sure.

• Like 1

I can't guarantee your child will become a math lover by using BA, but I think it is fertile ground for math lovers and potential math lovers to thrive.

Singapore takes a step up with the 3A/3B books, and it is rigorous and comprehensive. I have taught Prinary Maths 1-5 and Early Bird (K) and think it's a solid program. However, my kids love BA. Even though it's hard, they are much more engaged with it. My oldest (too old to have used BA) even loves reading the other kids' guides and the really difficult ** problems we discuss aloud.

Bar models are good for solving what would otherwise be algebraic problems. You can definitely benefit your student my teaching them. However, the math in BA has even more strategies. Read the solutions to learn even more.

BA does cover money and time in 3rd (my dd9 just finished converting units which included money, and is working on time - it's at the end of 3C), and data/statistics in 5th. I'm thinking I remember some graphing in 4th but not positive.

My son has used a mix of BA 5A and now 5B with Singapore 5A/B this year, and I will say that BA generally is covers things more deeply than Singapore (I still love Sibgapore though). The fraction work DS did in BA 4 allowed him to blow through Singapore 5 fraction work. The geometry of area and surface area was much more comprehensive in BA.

Do I see drawbacks to switching? Not really. Staying with Singapore would be OK too. But you could invest in just the 3A books of BA and see how your DD does with it, and then go from there.

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1

Thanks for the additional feedback from everybody. As far as the topic of money, my DD is competent with that, this is true. Regarding time, though, she has not really explored time to the minute (not presented yet in Singapore 2) but that's not time-consuming to teach (pardon the pun, ha!) I have Math Mammoth K-3 and Singapore 3 materials to do that.

Data and stats are important imo, but targhee you have written that this is included in BA so that's good. I am intrigued by the possibility of even deeper conceptual understanding than Singapore and even more problem solving strategies, too, with BA. All good!!

The fractions in Singapore are "light" imo in the early grades. We already have gone to Singapore 3 for more fractions work as my DD really enjoys the topic (!) So, if BA has more indepth fractions work then that definitely is a plus.

I think we will try BA 3A without stressing about anything that may be too challenging. I'm excited!