Menu

Help....creating a homegrown philosophy course?

So my son would like to get HS credit for a philosophy class and I have been looking into the best books to include.  I am familiar with Sophie's World, also looking at Abolition of a Man (Lewis) and Six Great Ideas (Adler).  Trying to keep to a Christian philosophy.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3

My ds and I did a philosophy of science and religion course a few yrs ago.  This is what we used:

Teaching Company lectures:

• Birth of the Modern Mind : The Intellectual History of 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Philosophy of Science & Religion

God and Nature: Historical Essays on Encounter between Christianity and Science

Peter Kreeft's books:
  • Socrates Meets Hume: The Father of Philosophy Meets the Father of Modern Skepticism
  • Socrates Meets Descartes: The Father of Philosophy Analyzes the Father of Modern Philosophy's Discourse on Method
  • Socrates Meets Kant: The Father of Philosophy Meets His Most Influential Modern Child
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: PASCAL's Pensees

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

I think I have seen that somewhere before.  Have you used it or know of anyone who has?  Will look into it again!  Thanks!

I'm smack dab in the middle of planning a worldview/philosophy course for my oldest dd, so I haven't used it yet.  I read it and it looks like a good, broad overview of philosophy from a Christian worldview.  I've been browsing around Ligonier Ministries' website in general.  They have a lot of video lecture series that look interesting.  There is a lecture series meant to accompany that book specifically.

We used Sonlight's Worldview and World Studies. Mine was already taking history/lit with a friend, so I just had her read the history portions and not answer the questions. On the rest, I had her keep a notebook, and then we met every Friday to discuss.

We used this - Does the Center Hold? - as a foundation. along with The Consequences of Ideas, How to be your own Selfish Pig, and a book of short biographies of philosophers...I can't remember which one. Then I had her choose a philosopher that she wanted to research further. She chose Kierkegaard and read a biography, some excerpts of his work, and Fear and Trembling. We talked a lot and she wrote a lot!

ETA: Oh, and she read Sophie's World as well!

Edited by Liza Q

Dd used ​Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy in an online DE introduction to philosophy class she took through a Christian university this year. I was impressed with the book and mentally noted that I would consider it in future for a high school philosophy course. Each chapter ends with a suggested writing assignment.

Other books I've read and would consider:

​Prelude to Philosophy: An Introduction for Christians 

​Philosophy for Dummies â€‹(a well-written, engaging overview -- not Christian, but certainly not anti-Christian. The author seems to be theist. He does tell some fascinating, but potentially objectionable, personal stories about fortune-tellers and psychic phenomena which you would probably want to discuss or skip.)

Edited by Jane Elliot