Menu

Feedback on my 9th grade plans, please

I'd love some feedback on my plans. I am feeling nervous about HS and I want to make sure my plan is doable... For Veritas Self-paced, reading is about 2 hours per day + 90 minutes of class time

9th grade

1.Ancient World History- H Veritas  Self-Paced (10)  

2.Doctrine and Theology 1  Veritas  Self- Paced  (10)

3.Ancient Literature I H  Veritas Self-Paced  (10)

4.Algebra 1 Saxon, Landry Academy  (10) 

5.Integrated Physics and Chemistry- DIVE ( unsure if I'll use a textbook or just their internet linked texts) (10)

6.English Composition: IEW online class, SWI-C 

7.Logic:  Art of the Argument  (5)

8. Portuguese:  MIT open course Text and syllabus  (10) ( I am fluent in Portuguese)

9. PE- Baseball (10)

Edited by Twinzen

My only comment is don't use the online textbook for DIVE. The readings are very difficult to understand and I have yet to see anyone here who tried it who didn't hate it.

We Used PH Physical Science Concepts in Action and liked it, but the second semester doesn't align well and his syllabus is way off.

I'd love some feedback on my plans. I am feeling nervous about HS and I want to make sure my plan is doable... For Veritas Self-paced, reading is about 2 hours per day + 90 minutes of class time

9th grade

1.Ancient World History- H Veritas  Self-Paced (10)  

2.Doctrine and Theology 1  Veritas  Self- Paced  (10)

3.Ancient Literature I H  Veritas Self-Paced  (10)

4.Algebra 1 Saxon, Landry Academy  (10) 

5.Integrated Physics and Chemistry- DIVE ( unsure if I'll use a textbook or just their internet linked texts) (10)

7.Logic:  Art of the Argument  (5)

8. Portuguese:  MIT open course Text and syllabus  (10) ( I am fluent in Portuguese)

9. PE- Baseball (10)

I'm not familiar with Veritas so please excuse my ignorance but 2 hours per day of reading per class?  plus 1.5 hours of class time per week? or that's the total for all 3 classes? 

Is your student a strong, motivated student? If the Veritas in total is 3 1/2 hours a day, you have

Veritas: 3 1/2; Saxon--at least 1 1/2 hours; Science --1 hr; Logic and Comp--1 hour a day; Portuguese-if you are doing a credit, that's another 1 hour.

That's 8 hours a day without the Baseball. That would have been tough as ninth grade for my very bright, but not too motivated ds. Your child may be different.

• Like 2

Yes, the Veritas course is a single course ( 3 credits)  It does not include any composition assigments because we're doing the Self-Paced version.  He's starting it in July so he can get a head start.  It is scheduled 3X a week 90 minutes, plus 2 hours of reading.

IEW class: grammar and 1 paper a week, some papers can be done 2-3 weeks. I only signed him up for one semester, so we could drop it in the Spring. I would then incorporate writing with the Veritas class.

Portuguese is a college semester course that I would teach in a 28 week co-op course ( 2-hour class)  I speak fluently so I just plan in having some basic conversation throughout the week with very little homework.

I don't know how long Science would take, but I am assuming 1 hour 4X a week, plus a lab day at co-op

Algebra I is 90 minute class once a week, but 60 minutes or less the other days

In the fall, baseball is from 4-9:30 ( with driving time) twice a week, plus weekends

Spring baseball is from 2-6:30 every day ( no weekends)

Thanks for responding and taking a look. It looks like he cannot do Logic. I don't know what to cut out!

Edited by Twinzen

9th grade

1.Ancient World History- H Veritas Self-Paced (10)

2.Doctrine and Theology 1 Veritas Self- Paced (10)

3.Ancient Literature I H Veritas Self-Paced (10)

4.Algebra 1 Saxon, Landry Academy (10)

7.Logic: Art of the Argument (5)

8. Portuguese: MIT open course Text and syllabus (10) ( I am fluent in Portuguese)

9. PE- Baseball (10)

Usually the roster is like this:

English---includes literature and composition.

Science

History

Math

Language

Elective

Here's how you line up against that:

English---you have two separate classes for English.

Science--covered

History--covered

Math--covered

Language--covered

Elective: This would be where I'd place Logic and/or Theology

Your problem is that you have two English classes and two electives instead of one each. You have two too many classes, if I'm interpreting your schedule correctly.

I have the same problem. I am using the summer for my extra elective courses and we will take multiple summers to complete the classes.

Edited by Garga

We cover the Logic (Art of Argument specifically) in a one semester group class taught by me to younger kids. It doesn't take that long each week to go through it, less so if you spread it over an entire year. I think it is do-able if you are doing it on your own. I have no idea how much work it is if you are doing it as part of an online course.

I agree that you are doubling up on LA credits and that's part of where your time sink might be. I ran into that this year & am already running into it next year. There just isn't time to fit in everything DD wants to do (multiple languages) with all the minimum stuff I make her cover (like history, science, and writing).

Good luck!

I may list as English 9 instead of Ancient Literature.  The Literature portion is just discussion/ reading and interactive computer assignments  ( multiple choice).

He will need writing/grammar to round off the credit.

The Logic would be on our own, not part of a class. I thought about spreading  over the year,,just because I know spring is busier because he plans to play for the school team.( We are under a PSP). I am adding the classes to a spreadsheet.

This looks very similar to our 9th grade plans.  I am assuming that your Veritas self-paced is Omnibus I.  We did this on our own in 7th grade.  It is a tremendous amount of reading, probably more than other years.   The only thing I am concerned with is that there is a lot of self-paced screen time.  These self-paced classes can be just more and more of the same thing.  I think it could be tiring.  At least, that was our experience with elementary self-paced classes.    We chose to go with Wilson Hill for Omnibus because it just seems a little more manageable.    I think as long as you are flexible with the omnibus classes, you are good.