Menu

Bedding for night sweats

G5052

I'm "nearly" menopausal (last MP was in October 2015), and suddenly the nighttime hot flashes have come back with fury after none since last summer.

I'm reworking my supplements, but maybe I want to change our bedding too. DH is agreeable if I sleep better!

Should I switch from blankets to a light comforter or duvet?  I'm thinking that less pressure might help.

Ten years ago I got a cotton blanket when they were waking me up, and frankly I hated it. I didn't like how it felt, and it fell apart in the wash.

Call me sleepless in the south...

There's a local OB/GYN with a specialty in natural approaches to menopause that I'm thinking of switching to as my primary. Our internist is further away and made several mistakes last year that we are concerned about, and we have a walk-in clinic that we like for sinus infections and such anyway. I probably need to approach it that way too.

Edited by G5052

I'm in the same boat, though not menopausal yet (I'm 34). I get night sweats when Aunt Flo is in town. They make cooling gel mattress pads that I would dearly love to try but hubby is always freezing even with fleecy sheets and a featherbed. The Company Store has a whole bunch of different mattress pads for different needs. Also consider a lightweight wool blanket; wool helps you regulate your body temperature. LL bean makes nice soft ones that aren't itchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend 100% linen bedding. It's a looser weave, very breathable, and it doesn't cling to damp skin the way cotton or cotton/poly does. I have a linen duvet cover from H&M, which I use with a lightweight duvet/comforter inside in the winter, and by itself in the summer. IKEA also makes a linen duvet cover, which is a bit cheaper (I bought the IKEA version for my son, who sweats like crazy at night), but I like the H&M one a bit better. Both duvet covers come with linen pillowcases. I got my bottom sheets from Rough Linen, but their stuff is quite a bit more expensive (the sheets were a Christmas present); you can find cheaper bottom sheets online.

H&M linen duvet cover and pillowcase set (various colors)

IKEA linen duvet cover and pillowcase set (white or tan)

Rough Linen

• Like 1

How bad are the sweats? Do you have to change your clothes? If so please get checked out for lymphoma. I am lymphoma survivor and night sweats that are very bad could be a sign. I personally never had them (other then in chemo, I was diagnosed early though) but if I saw this and didn't mention this and later you came back and said you had cancer I would feel awful.

None of my night sweats were bad enough for me to change any of my fabrics.

Good luck!

How bad are the sweats? Do you have to change your clothes? If so please get checked out for lymphoma. I am lymphoma survivor and night sweats that are very bad could be a sign. I personally never had them (other then in chemo, I was diagnosed early though) but if I saw this and didn't mention this and later you came back and said you had cancer I would feel awful.

None of my night sweats were bad enough for me to change any of my fabrics.

Good luck!

The sweats are horrible. Completely soaked sheets and clothing. Last night I couldn't get back to sleep, so I rested on the tile floor for awhile to cool down.

I'm thinking I do need to switch to the local OB/GYN as my primary. I'm actually due for a physical, and probably need a hormone panel. Yup!

• Like 1

If you can (I know that is a big IF with insurance like it is) please see a hematologist. Hopefully it would be nothing. I know my hematologist would have you do blood work at her office before the appointment and THAT day tell you if you should be concerned. When I went to my first appointment my oncologist did that. I have had night sweats due to menopause (chemo induced) and I never have anything like you are describing. However I have seen that on the lymphoma boards a lot.

I don't want to scare you, but lymphoma can look like a normal cold in the blood work (mine did), if you are not trained to look deeper.

My oncologist charges $238 for a normal office visit out of pocket (yeah before ACA I had that). She is at a major teaching hospital in Philadelphia. So that gives you an idea of cost if you have horrible insurance (been there, done that).

I hope it is nothing, but I would be remiss if I said nothing.

• Like 1

I love my feather blanket.  It's good when it's hot and cold. 

Yup.  I have a down blanket I got from Lands End, and flannel sheets.  It's still quite cool here at night, so I go from sweating buckets to freezing cold and back again several times some nights.  

This combination works well for me as I throw off layers and then bundle back up again.

• Like 1