Menu

I'm at the car dealership & I want to buy a car

*LC

I know I have read great posts on how to buy a new car. Help me;I have never bought a new car. For some reason, it is cheaper on the 3 vehicles that will work for me to buy new. I have a new salesman, what should I say?

Thanks

the mark-up is always WAY more than you think.  WAY more.

new salesmen have little power to negotiate on price.  (and they're idiots).

do NOT saying anything while you are at the dealership that you don't want a salesman to overhear.  they bug the cubicles.

do NOT get a loan through the dealer.  if you need a car loan - use your bank or credit union.  dealers make lots of money on car loans .. . . .

eta:  I suggest you leave and go home and do research.  decide how much you are willing to spend on the car you want to buy.  THEN you can go back to the dealerships and start negotiating.  let them know this is what you're looking for, and this is how much you'll spend. . . . . if what you're willing to spend is fair, they will meet you - they might whine and hem and haw and posture the price is unreasonable - but they will meet you,  especially towards the end of the month.  and especially if you start walking towards the door and they think they're going to lose a sale . . .

always remember - the one who is willing to walk (there are always other dealers) - - - - controls the deal.  you want to be the one that controls the deal.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

oh - years ago when dh was in banking - he was IN dealer car loans.  he knew exactly (to the penny) what dealers paid for the car, and for how much they sold the car. . . . . we will never ever ever pay Costco price on a car, because it's a good deal for the dealer.  NOT the buyer.

• Like 1

I am a car buying failure. I had done research on what a good price should be; I knew what I wanted. I came home without a car. 

At the first place, I asked to see the model I wanted. We saw it; I checked it out. It would work for me. I looked at sticker on the window and asked about price. (It was way above what my research said it should be.) He indicated that was the price and mentioned they had program cars for less. We looked at it; it had 3,000 miles on it.  I was interested in a price. He went inside and he went off to get a price. (I posted here. I was by myself, so no worries about giving away what I am thinking.) He came back with an out-the-door price that was basically almost 10,000 more than I want to spend (or could/should spend based on my research). I said I was looking at a different/equivalent car somewhere else that costs way less. He says let him see what he can do & goes off. He comes back with info (walk out door price) on a used car, 2 years old with 20,000 miles, that is closer to what I plan to spend. This car has a lot of upgrades_ leather, sunroofs, tri-climate controls, heated seats. These are not things I would pay for, but I would not mind having. I look at the car; it is fine. He then drives me to my car in the golf cart that we took to the used section of the dealership. He mentions it is the end of the month and they have quotas. I ask him to send me the out-the-door price on the used car. He has my phone number and e-mail. He does neither. I should have gone back in to talk more about the price, but I wanted to go to a second dealership. 

At the second place, I ask to see a car they have advertised on the internet as a special. The price advertised is an excellent price, according to websites that say what people are paying for certain cars. It is a demo with 3,000 miles on it. We look at it. I drive it, and it is fine. The car salesman and I have a good talk about things we have in common. We go back into the dealership. I asked to see the out-the-door price. He goes and asks for help with taxes. (While he is gone my child, who is now car shopping with me. comes into the cubicle and asks if we are going to buy the car. I change the subject.) The salesman comes back with the numbers. It is almost 2,000-3,000  cheaper than the used car, which is a higher-price model. The used has bells/whistles; the new has no upgrades. (Since I never received the first price in writing, I only know used car is 12,something and new car is 10,090.) We talked some. I said I was not sure I wanted to spend that much. We talked about financing. I asked about a special 0 percent financing deal they have on this car. He looked into and recommended getting financing elsewhere so I didn't lose a $1,000 rebate on the car. He double checked with sales manager, who also recommended getting financing elsewhere if I had good credit even though their rate is 0%, since I could finance less. We talked some more about me wanting to save money, and then I left. There were no signs about this being a set-price dealership or anything.

I guess I have to call the salesman at the first place to see about negotiating since it is getting very near the end of the month. I also need to double-check on the warranty since it is used. He was telling me it had a warranty left on the original warranty that is actually longer than the new car's warranty at the other dealer. They are the same basic car, but are made by different manufacturers.

I don't know what to do. 

Edited by *LC

Internet car purchases!

I had my parameters and sent them to 10 + dealerships around town. This was used but you can do it for new. I had the interest rate, I had out the door price, I had features, make and model. I wrote "meet me at this point and when I come to drive the car if it's what you say, I will buy it."

I drove a hard deal but I was patient. I got one dealer who had the car for me. They all tried to sell me something slightly different but I was polite and firm: "I don't want to waste your time so let me be clear that I'm only looking within these parameters and I'm willing to wait until something comes up, thanks for your offer though."

I got a car that I still feel was an excellent deal.

I didn't have to negotiate. I didn't have to sit there. Nobody wasted 3 hours of their car salesmanship time on me. Why should they? I don't want to waste their time.

When I went in, it was super simple. I looked at all the details of the car. It checked out. We took a test drive. I went to financing (during which time my salesperson was free) and they had done the credit check ahead of time. It was just a matter of signing papers. I feel that both the salesperson and I were very happy. He spent like 1/10th of the time on the deal, got what he wanted, and so did I. Great deal for both of us.

So, that's my advice. Good luck to you.

• Like 6

I'm out of likes but I'm liking Tsuga's post. We bought almost by internet.

I went in at one point because I actually wanted to see the car IRL but before & after, we had a flurry of emails to various dealers. I knew exactly what I wanted and we just put the word out & waited. 

Knew all my prices ahead of time (we used an online service which gives you the real dealer prices & suggests what a reasonable mark up might be & how much you can negotiate on certain extras). Got a couple nibbles, sent the nibbles back out to some other sales reps. Guy I drove it with came back with a price that cut everyone out.  Done deal.  It actually was very painless. 

• Like 4

If you're not in a super big hurry you might consider waiting until Memorial Day weekend.  Lots of manufacturers offer special incentives then--it's a holiday plus it's getting close to the end of the model year.  And there's also the usual end-of-the-month quota issue involved.  We've gotten some extremely good deals on new cars on Memorial Day weekends in the past.

Also regarding used car warranties -- we've never actually purchased a used car so I may not know what I'm talking about here.  But Clark Howard always warns to check the details on "certified used cars."  I believe his advice is to make sure the warranty comes from the manufacturer, not the dealership or a third party provider.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

the mark-up is always WAY more than you think. WAY more.

new salesmen have little power to negotiate on price. (and they're idiots).

do NOT saying anything while you are at the dealership that you don't want a salesman to overhear. they bug the cubicles.

do NOT get a loan through the dealer. if you need a car loan - use your bank or credit union. dealers make lots of money on car loans .. . . .

eta: I suggest you leave and go home and do research. decide how much you are willing to spend on the car you want to buy. THEN you can go back to the dealerships and start negotiating. let them know this is what you're looking for, and this is how much you'll spend. . . . . if what you're willing to spend is fair, they will meet you - they might whine and hem and haw and posture the price is unreasonable - but they will meet you, especially towards the end of the month. and especially if you start walking towards the door and they think they're going to lose a sale . . .

always remember - the one who is willing to walk (there are always other dealers) - - - - controls the deal. you want to be the one that controls the deal.

All of this. I'm the resident car buyer here and have a sibling who was a car dealer for decades.

You are not ready yet for this Hunger Games-level interaction

Price anything out on Edmunds. What's my car worth section. New is not likely to be cheaper.

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 1

I am a car buying failure. I had done research on what a good price should be; I knew what I wanted. I came home without a car.

At the first place, I asked to see the model I wanted. We saw it; I checked it out. It would work for me. I looked at sticker on the window and asked about price. (It was way above what my research said it should be.) He indicated that was the price and mentioned they had program cars for less. We looked at it; it had 3,000 miles on it. I was interested in a price. He went inside and he went off to get a price. (I posted here. I was by myself, so no worries about giving away what I am thinking.) He came back with an out-the-door price that was basically almost 10,000 more than I want to spend (or could/should spend based on my research). I said I was looking at a different/equivalent car somewhere else that costs way less. He says let him see what he can do & goes off. He comes back with info (walk out door price) on a used car, 2 years old with 20,000 miles, that is closer to what I plan to spend. This car has a lot of upgrades_ leather, sunroofs, tri-climate controls, heated seats. These are not things I would pay for, but I would not mind having. I look at the car; it is fine. He then drives me to my car in the golf cart that we took to the used section of the dealership. He mentions it is the end of the month and they have quotas. I ask him to send me the out-the-door price on the used car. He has my phone number and e-mail. He does neither. I should have gone back in to talk more about the price, but I wanted to go to a second dealership.

At the second place, I ask to see a car they have advertised on the internet as a special. The price advertised is an excellent price, according to websites that say what people are paying for certain cars. It is a demo with 3,000 miles on it. We look at it. I drive it, and it is fine. The car salesman and I have a good talk about things we have in common. We go back into the dealership. I asked to see the out-the-door price. He goes and asks for help with taxes. (While he is gone my child, who is now car shopping with me. comes into the cubicle and asks if we are going to buy the car. I change the subject.) The salesman comes back with the numbers. It is almost 2,000-3,000 cheaper than the used car, which is a higher-price model. The used has bells/whistles; the new has no upgrades. (Since I never received the first price in writing, I only know used car is 12,something and new car is 10,090.) We talked some. I said I was not sure I wanted to spend that much. We talked about financing. I asked about a special 0 percent financing deal they have on this car. He looked into and recommended getting financing elsewhere so I didn't lose a $1,000 rebate on the car. He double checked with sales manager, who also recommended getting financing elsewhere if I had good credit even though their rate is 0%, since I could finance less. We talked some more about me wanting to save money, and then I left. There were no signs about this being a set-price dealership or anything.

I guess I have to call the salesman at the first place to see about negotiating since it is getting very near the end of the month. I also need to double-check on the warranty since it is used. He was telling me it had a warranty left on the original warranty that is actually longer than the new car's warranty at the other dealer. They are the same basic car, but are made by different manufacturers.

I don't know what to do.

You are doing fine. Never, ever let them play with the numbers and don't deal with someone without authority to make the deal. Find what you want. Price it out right there on your phone if you have not already done it before you get there. Require the Carfax - or look the car up online by VIN or stock number, as Carfax is often free on dealer website. Ignore any " no haggling" nonsense and offer your price. Walk out if you don't get it. Someone will sell to you.

Never reveal whether you have a trade in or are financing before you get a firm out-the-door price in writing

• Like 1

I'm out of likes but I'm liking Tsuga's post. We bought almost by internet.

I went in at one point because I actually wanted to see the car IRL but before & after, we had a flurry of emails to various dealers. I knew exactly what I wanted and we just put the word out & waited.

Knew all my prices ahead of time (we used an online service which gives you the real dealer prices & suggests what a reasonable mark up might be & how much you can negotiate on certain extras). Got a couple nibbles, sent the nibbles back out to some other sales reps. Guy I drove it with came back with a price that cut everyone out. Done deal. It actually was very painless.

I'm negotiating right now. No one will see me until I have a deal on the car I want. Then I will show up to purchase. Cash.

oh - years ago when dh was in banking - he was IN dealer car loans. he knew exactly (to the penny) what dealers paid for the car, and for how much they sold the car. . . . . we will never ever ever pay Costco price on a car, because it's a good deal for the dealer. NOT the buyer.

This is true. The only time you got a good deal at A dealer lot is when they throw you out at 10 pm and no one will shake your hand.

This is true. The only time you got a good deal at A dealer lot is when they throw you out at 10 pm and no one will shake your hand.

once years ago - dh bought their loss leader.  they. were. not. happy.  conventional wisdom is people aren't supposed to buy the loss leader . . . .

eta: it was a commuter car, and he needed a cheap one asap. the bearings on his car were going.  (the car was polite when they drove it for the trade-in.  made no noise). no radio, no passenger mirror, 4-spd manual, no a/c, etc.  it was as basic as  you can get.  they tried really hard to get him to upgrade.  we never would have thought we'd have it for over 20 years. all the kids learned to drive on it. 1ds killed it last fall. we joked about fixing it (<$1000) so dudeling could learn to drive on it . . . we donated it.

Edited by gardenmom5