Menu

Homeschooling in VA

We may be moving to Virginia in the near future...can any of you already there explain the options for legally homeschooling there? I checked out the HSLDA site and it appears there are a few options, but there wasn't much detail.

Is there an option that minimizes government intrusion and/or mandatory evaluations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We may be moving to Virginia in the near future...can any of you already there explain the options for legally homeschooling there? I checked out the HSLDA site and it appears there are a few options, but there wasn't much detail.

Is there an option that minimizes government intrusion and/or mandatory evaluations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how many more details you need. This seems like a lot of details to me: be qualified, file an annual notice of intent, provide an annual evaluation. Each of those has a drop-down that includes even more information.

The only way to avoid annual evaluations is the religious exemption.

I find that its super easy here, but we don't mind the standardized testing. We file an NOI early August (I just use a template provided by VA homeschoolers, I think it is) that includes a copy of my high school diploma,  and then at the end of the school year I have them use either the Terra Nova or the Stanford-10 and send the results. Easy Peasy.  But yeah, there's a religious exemption in which once you file it and its approved, you don't have to do anything else. 

http://vahomeschoolers.org/guide/laws/

• Like 1

I lived there and schooled for most of our time there.  You file a notice of intent to the district.  You are supposed to list your subjects, but you do not need to list curriculum.  My notice was always very vague ;-)  And I had a statement about reserving the right to change anything at any time for any reason.  LOL!!  

For testing you can do any standardized test or evaluation with a teacher.  You do turn in final results.  Seton Testing is in VA and offers plenty of choices. 

Oh the religious exemption.  Yes, it's still available.  It's really meant for people who can not file under the normal circumstances.  If you an file a notice b/c you have a high school diploma, do it.  Religious exemption can require an interview before the school board to defend your beliefs.  Some people have filed this even though they would put kids in school for the right opportunity or if something tragic happened.  But it was explained to me by many that it's for people who would never use the system(even if a parent died) and hold a true religious belief against the school system.  And if you can file a normal notice, file a normal notice.  

I think VA was easy to homeschool with.  We never had issues and like I said, my notice was always very vague with my statement about changing as I wanted.  

• Like 3

As others have mentioned it is quite easy.  You file your notice with a list of subjects with your local Board of Ed, you show them a copy of your HS diploma or higher, and you can give your children any nationally normed standardized test.  One thing I liked about VA is that you can proctor the test at home yourself - you do not need a certified teacher to do so.  For $25 (this was a few years ago) you could order the CAT from Seton and get results back within a week. 

I lived in Loudoun County and had never heard of anyone having a problem. 

• Like 1

Look at the HEAV.org website for very detailed info. They even have sample forms. It was pretty easy. You file a Notice of Intent with a list of subjects and your diploma to the local school board. At the end of the year, you submit a testing score from any standardized test of your choosing. You can find ones to do online at home, if you choose. You also have the option of having someone with a teaching degree or Masters degree to do an evaluation, but most people just choose a test. They only have to be in 25th percentile on the test.

There may be a couple districts that have had some isolated issues, but most districts are pretty much out of your life, just processing paperwork.

The religious exemption is more arduous and is supposed to mean that you will never attend any public school (although they would likely be ok if you changed your mind.) I believe you may be called to appear before the school board to defend your sincere religious belief against attending school. It could be more of a legal hassle and would not be worth it, in my mind.

I'm in VA. 

Agreeing that it's a very easy state to homeschool in. 

The NOI yearly is just saying that you will homeschool. The list of subjects/curriculum can be very vague. I said things like "C. will study science consistent with a 4th grade level." "Z. will study mathematics at a 1st grade level." We have never had any problems. 

The yearly evaluation can be one of three things: 

1) Standardized test. As others said, you can proctor yourself. And it's a pretty low bar to meet the standards. You only have to take and report the scores in the skills areas (reading, math, writing) and not history/science/social studies. 

2) Evaluation. This can be by anyone who holds a master's degree in an academic subject or has a current teaching license. Depending on where you are, there are bunches of people who do homeschool evaluations for a fee, many of whom are homeschoolers or former homeschoolers themselves. We have usually used a friend of ours from church who has a master's and is a private school teacher. The evaluation only has to say that the kids are "making adequate progress" which is also a fairly vague statement. Our friend comes over, chats with the kids about what they are learning and then writes a letter saying that they are making progress. No problems in 7 years. Easy peasy. 

3) Portfolio. You have the right to turn in a portfolio of work. I don't know anyone who has done this although I do know people who take a portfolio to their evaluator. The portfolio option seems the hardest to me.