Menu

Coffee maker without plastic parts?

mathnerd

Are there any good options for a coffee maker without plastic parts? I am looking for either a stainless steel one or a glass one. I want to throw away my old plastic drip coffee maker and stick to non-plastics. Help me out with what options are out there, please! I only want to make plain coffee, not the fancy brews that are sold in fancy coffee shops (I go to coffee shops when I want fancy mochas and espressos). I usually make about 4-5 cups of coffee per day for my household. Thanks.

Edited by mathnerd

An old fashioned percolator or French press?

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/search/search_result.jsp?q=coffee+makers

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stainless+steel+french+press+

Here is one of the reviews on the percolator. "Tired of other coffee makers and the plastic features and features I did not need or want. This coffee pot is all stainless (interior too which holds coffee grounds). Makes a delicious cup of coffee. I do use filters (cut half inch off top to fit but do not think this is a need) no grounds in the coffee either way. Coffee is quickly made and I am very happy. Something about a simple, straight forward machine that works."

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 2

Note: French press calls for a "rough" grind. Our coffee grinder is an old Cuisinart that really just wants to do a fine grind so I always have to pulse it to get rough. Higher-quality grinders or a manual grinder should be able to do rough grind easily.

• Like 1

Actually, you can get a gritty, sludgy cup from a Chemex if you use the fine metal filter instead of their paper filters.  I like the sludge, DH likes it the other way, so we alternate.

But if you want a very good, medium cup of coffee without plastics, use a porcelain melitta cone with either a paper filter or, if you want to be crunchier, a brown (unbleached) paper filter, or, if you want to be crunchiest, a reusable muslin filter.  This has the significant advantage that it has no need for electrical parts, either, so it always works if you can heat up the water.  Even when I used an electric coffee maker, I always had a Melitta around just in case.  And pour over coffee is the latest, greatest thing!

• Like 4

Thank you!!! I did not realize that there were so many options that do not have plastic parts. I was not looking to spend $2000 on a super fancy machine either. I am so glad that all the options mentioned by you are affordable for me and are on amazon too. I am off to read amazon reviews now.

I use a press, dh does pour-over in a ceramic doohickey. I use an ancient electric grinder, dh uses a manual iron burr grinder. I use a pot on the stove for water, dh uses a ss electric kettle.

:-D Its humorous, but it just shook down that way because he needed a portable set up. Plus he wanted the bestBEST cup of coffee and i just wanted a decent quart of coffee lol, but we occassionaly need to make it at the same time.