Menu

My son's prof lied...

I know what a harsh title.  LOL  She told the students they couldn't do a certain thing on the calculator.  She said it was not possible and that the calculator does not do it.  So my son always takes that sort of thing as a challenge to figure out how it's possible.  Surely it must be possible.  Well he did figure it out and e-mailed her about it.  He showed me and I was pretty certain he was right that it was possible.  So I said well maybe she told you guys that because she wanted you to not use the calculator to do it.  Sure enough...that is what she told him. 

What?!  Come on now...

I know what a harsh title.  LOL  She told the students they couldn't do a certain thing on the calculator.  She said it was not possible and that the calculator does not do it.  So my son always takes that sort of thing as a challenge to figure out how it's possible.  Surely it must be possible.  Well he did figure it out and e-mailed her about it.  He showed me and I was pretty certain he was right that it was possible.  So I said well maybe she told you guys that because she wanted you to not use the calculator to do it.  Sure enough...that is what she told him. 

What?!  Come on now...

I'm assuming this was a college level course? At that point, the prof should simply instruct the students to work the problems by hand, not do this or that with the calculator. Good grief.

• Like 4

Maybe she just didn't feel like getting into it?  Especially if they were being argumentative.

No she just showed them how to do it and said most calculators can't do this so don't bother. 

The problems I worked with him from the book were very easy and obvious.  I kept asking my son how exactly we'd go about solving it otherwise.  Because I wasn't going through any process to solve them.  I just knew the answer because it was obvious.  He kept saying he did not know.  I thought that was really weird. 

No she just showed them how to do it and said most calculators can't do this so don't bother. 

If she actually said most, then she's probably right and didn't lie at all.  I'm assuming this isn't something a regular old calculator can do, but needs a scientific or graphing one.  I'm convinced those things can do absolutely anything.

• Like 3

If she actually said most, then she's probably right and didn't lie at all.  I'm assuming this isn't something a regular old calculator can do, but needs a scientific or graphing one.  I'm convinced those things can do absolutely anything.

We have three different graphing calculators.  They all do it. 

One of them is probably the most common one used by college students who aren't math majors.

I'm not flaming mad or anything, but I just thought that was kinda weird. 

Is it possible she didn't know?

I teach engineering classes that use various software design tools.  I know those tools pretty well but once in a while someone will ask how to do something in class that I don't think the software will do.  I try always to say that I "don't think" the software is capable of whatever because the minute I say that it won't, one of my students will take great delight in figuring out how to do it and letting me know....in front of the whole class:)  

• Like 1

Is it possible she didn't know?

I teach engineering classes that use various software design tools.  I know those tools pretty well but once in a while someone will ask how to do something in class that I don't think the software will do.  I try always to say that I "don't think" the software is capable of whatever because the minute I say that it won't, one of my students will take great delight in figuring out how to do it and letting me know....in front of the whole class:)  

It involves Log.  I imagine she probably did know that. 

It's kind of comical really.  She kinda freaked out because my son brought his three calculators with him one day.  He is just getting a kick out of playing around on the calculators.  She told him to pick one.  I can't imagine what she thinks he is going to do with these calculators.  He is just learning how to use such a thing.  We got through algebra 2 at home with almost never using any kind of calculator.  I suppose she doesn't know that though.

• Like 1