• real-a-door
    • real-a-tore
    • real-door
    • real-tore
    • real-ter
    • real-a-ter
    • real-der
    • real-a-der

Real-ter if I am just chatting and talking fast.

If I am speaking more purposefully, then Real-tore.

My mom was a Realtor for years, so that is likely where I got my pronunciation. Right or wrong, this is how it was said in my home.  LOL 

I'd happily accept any recommendations of where to start. :)

Well, this is gonna sound really stupid (really, really stupid) but I actually got my start with the Language Construction Kit (online version, free). I'm aware of how dumb that sounds. Of course, this is when I was quite young.

• Like 1

I think it's one of those words where I flip flop. Sometimes I say it one way, sometimes another. I actually really don't like saying it as it's an awkward word to me.

Rill-tore

Rill-a-tore

I think I can hear myself saying "reel" or "real"

Ok I think I also flip flop with endings... "er" or "tore"

I think adding the sound in the middle is based on what I've heard over my life. And that may have even been on HGTV, I dunno. I think this word is said many ways.

I say "eye" "urn" but it's a four letter word to be avoided ;)

I also say irun, and that is normal here. Are you in New England?

No, Pacific Northwest, but travelled. My great grandmother was originally from New York though. I mean... Assuming we get our language through the maternal line.

• Like 1

Forever I said real-a-tor, and then my dingy mom corrected me by saying "everyone" now says "real-ter." (She and I don't get along and she was thrilled to find a reason to correct me.)

At first I couldn't even hear the difference.

Alley

I think that is it.  People don't even hear the difference.

I have run into a lot of people lately who have said real-a-door.  

DS8 used to have a hard time with his "s" sound.  His name is Samson.  He'd say his name was "yam-yun".  I wish I had it on video.

My 5yo still says breakfast with a /t/ instead of an /f/. I'll miss it when he starts saying it correctly (which can't be too long, I'd imagine, since he'll say it correctly when reading the word).

ETA: reel-ter, but I'm foreign, so for most words I just use phonics to pronounce them. I think I also say irun. My first year in the US I once had a speech and communication major comment on how I pronounce words *very* clearly.

ETA2: I think a lot of people suck at phonics. Like, my wife completely butchers place names like Cheektowaga or Scajaquada. I'm talking about putting the consonants in the wrong order. I'm not 100% sure how the vowels are supposed to be pronounced, but it's plenty obvious what order the consonants are in.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1