Menu

A question for *ME*

BlsdMama

I have two classes left to complete my AA.  Our local community college has a transfer agreement with the university I'll transfer to in order to complete my bachelor's.  Essentially it is this: with only two classes to go, I can enroll in the university and the community college will issue an AA by backward transferring the two credits back.  

So my options are:

Go to comm. college next semester and only take the two classes I need and complete the AA.

or

Go to university next semester (take four classes/full time) and those two classes will still get me the AA but I am able to go full time.

My only issue is that I'm not good at math.  I'm hoping and praying to end up with a B in that class this semester.  It looks likely but it has been hard for me. I have one more class left and it really looks like a fluff class (Math for Elementary Teachers or Math in Society) but I admit this has me paranoid.  I feel like I damaged by GPA already with this class and I figure a class at U will be harder than CC.

However, that said, a B is not the end of the world.  

Which would you recommend and why?  I feel like if I only do two classes next semester it is a bit of a waste of my time. On the other hand, the cost of those two classes is far less at comm. college than the university. I am short one math class and one elective.  (The other information is that I do have more electives from 1996, lol, that did not transfer in and it is possible that the U would accept one of those.  In that case I am only the math class short.)

What is your goal?

Are you going to start working? Do you need to get a job sooner? Is there another reason to finish sooner?

If you aren't pressed to finish you degree a semester sooner and not knowing other factors, I'd do the two classes at the cc to save some money. Do you know for sure all your courses at the cc will transfer towards degree requirements?

• Like 1

If you aren't pressed to finish you degree a semester sooner and not knowing other factors, I'd do the two classes at the cc to save some money. 

I agree. I'd go ahead and finish the courses at the community college both for cost reasons and because it sounds like you may need a little more time for the math program. I'm guessing that the CC classes are also smaller than the 4-year, and that's a plus if you think you may need help.

I've told my teens over and over that I want them to have some margin in college. Having a transition semester for you with a lighter load before the heavier load of the 4-year is perfectly fine IMHO.

For us, the community college is so much closer and significantly less expensive, so hands down I would tell a local to finish what they need first. Not that everyone listens to me of course!

• Like 4

If you do poorly in the math class at the CC., will that prevent you from going on to the university?  I wouldn't risk that if you think it's likely.  Otherwise, I'd go ahead and stick with the CC, maybe taking one extra class there just for fun.  I allowed myself two less intense quarters at the end of my college studies rather than one extremely intense one to finish early, and took some extra 'enrichment' classes that I really enjoyed, and have always been glad that I did.  I would not have been able to fit them in otherwise.

Will the associates be issued as soon as you finish those two classes?  Or will it be issued when you complete your bachelors?  If the latter, I'd finish at the community college.  I would probably advise doing that, if it were my children, because that seems like the safest path to that associate degree.  You never know what the future is going to bring.  Somebody might get sick and need you full time, God forbid, or something else.  If I were you, I'd reward myself with a class that I wanted just for the knowledge, not for the degree, and resolve to go to tutoring a lot, since I'd have the spare time, what with the lighter load.

Nan

• Like 1

What are your plans after you finish the bachelor's? I see you still have some very young kids and while I don't want to presume anything, if you are not aiming for FT employment in the near future, then I would try to minimize your costs.

I had the option of taking the introductory communicative disorders courses as either part of a 2nd bachelor's or as graduate courses in an extended master's program. The price difference varies depending on the specific grad school, but could be more than $20k total. :scared:

I've thought about this too.  I'm starting in the fall at the local university one class short of my AA/junior status.  The U has a series of courses that a transfer student has to take if they don't have their AA or are "core certified" (me).  I thought maybe I should defer my enrollment and take the needed course at the CC, but I decided to just go to the U and call it a way to ease myself back into things.  The class I'm lacking can be fulfilled by a music class which I'm hoping will be fun and beneficial at this point of my own music studies.  And the other U required course....well whatever.  That's what I get for not finishing things when I start them.

Have you spoken to advising at both institutions & received information specifically about GPA & how it transfers? 

Because in my area when you transfer, your GPA from the Associate's gets wiped & you get to start your GPA again with a fresh clean start. So taking these courses at the CC & possibly getting a GPA hitting mark & finishing the AA there might work in your favour.

Plus in our exp, classes are smaller & the teaching is frequently better, with more resources & learning center labs at the CC. 

Based on what you've said so far, I'd finish at the CC and then transfer but there might be other factors so I'd speak in person to an experienced mature student advisor. 

Have you checked to make sure that the two classes you would take at the CC will apply toward the bachelors degree at the university?  Having a course transfer and having it apply to degree requirements are two different issues. 

I would not be too concerned about the grade and how it impacts your GPA--unless you are in an extreme case of being on a borderline for admission, meeting degree requirements, etc.  A "B" doesn't damage your GPA in most cases; unless you are looking for a top job in an extremely competitive field, employers are more concerned about whether you completed your degree than your GPA.  If the CC in your area is known to be easier than the university in your area, that would be taken into consideration by whomever is looking at a GPA and transcripts. 

• Like 1

I would look carefully at the transfer agreement. Some 4yrs will accept an AA as a complete block of credits that satisfy ged eds and provide Junior standing from the start, but if the student hasn't completed an AA, then they are treated as sophomore transfers and the school can go through the credits and pick and choose the ones that will transfer. Also, as a PP mentioned, often the grades from an AA will not be used in GPA calculations at the 4 yr.

If I were you, I would finish the 2 credits at the CC, get the AA, and then transfer. Does the CC allow you to have more than the minimum number of credits for the AA? (IOW, if the AA requires a minimum of 60 credits, can you take 63?) If so, you might consider taking 3 CC classes instead of just the 2 you're missing, fold them all into your AA, and then transfer the block of credits. That way you wouldn't feel like you were just "wasting time" with only 2 courses, and it may save a bit of money versus taking that 3rd class at the 4yr.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

I would look carefully at the transfer agreement. Some 4yrs will accept an AA as a complete block of credits that satisfy ged eds and provide Junior standing from the start, but if the student hasn't completed an AA, then they are treated as sophomore transfers and the school can go through the credits and pick and choose the ones that will transfer. Also, as a PP mentioned, often the grades from an AA will not be used in GPA calculations at the 4 yr.

If I were you, I would finish the 2 credits at the CC, get the AA, and then transfer. Does the CC allow you to have more than the minimum number of credits for the AA? (IOW, if the AA requires a minimum of 60 credits, can you take 63?) If so, you might consider taking 3 CC classes instead of just the 2 you're missing, fold them all into your AA, and then transfer the block of credits. That way you wouldn't feel like you were just "wasting time" with only 2 courses, and it may save a bit of money versus taking that 3rd class at the 4yr.

ASU -

"A maximum of 64 semester hours of credit will be accepted as lower-division credit when transferred from a regionally accredited community, junior or two-year college, with the exception of some special programs."

Be sure to find out how many upper division credits you need to graduate - this could make it a moot point.

What is your goal?

Are you going to start working? Do you need to get a job sooner? Is there another reason to finish sooner?

If you aren't pressed to finish you degree a semester sooner and not knowing other factors, I'd do the two classes at the cc to save some money. Do you know for sure all your courses at the cc will transfer towards degree requirements?

I won't start work for at least 5+ years.  Youngest DS is only 1 so he would have to be school age before I even go part-time.  The goal? Graduate with Psychology degree and then go straight in Educational / School Psychology Masters.  So  - two years to finish my Bachelor and then onto Masters - that right there is a five year plan.

I did a degree audit today and realized I'm an idiot.   :p  I was very careful with helping oldest DD plan, but I didn't take a close look at my transcripts from 1996.  I have gaps.  There are classes on there that transferred to the CC that may not transfer to the U.  Also, I'm missing Comp II.  How is that even possible?  That's required and an easy A at the local CC.  So there's a third class.

Will the associates be issued as soon as you finish those two classes?  Or will it be issued when you complete your bachelors?  If the latter, I'd finish at the community college.  I would probably advise doing that, if it were my children, because that seems like the safest path to that associate degree.  You never know what the future is going to bring.  Somebody might get sick and need you full time, God forbid, or something else.  If I were you, I'd reward myself with a class that I wanted just for the knowledge, not for the degree, and resolve to go to tutoring a lot, since I'd have the spare time, what with the lighter load.

Nan

It's issued when those two classes are finished.  My "reward" this semester has been a photography class - fulfills my art necessity.  Turns out?  I don't actually like Photography.  At least it helps my GPA.

What are your plans after you finish the bachelor's? I see you still have some very young kids and while I don't want to presume anything, if you are not aiming for FT employment in the near future, then I would try to minimize your costs.

I had the option of taking the introductory communicative disorders courses as either part of a 2nd bachelor's or as graduate courses in an extended master's program. The price difference varies depending on the specific grad school, but could be more than $20k total. :scared:

Straight to my Masters.

Have you spoken to advising at both institutions & received information specifically about GPA & how it transfers? 

Because in my area when you transfer, your GPA from the Associate's gets wiped & you get to start your GPA again with a fresh clean start. So taking these courses at the CC & possibly getting a GPA hitting mark & finishing the AA there might work in your favour.

Plus in our exp, classes are smaller & the teaching is frequently better, with more resources & learning center labs at the CC. 

Based on what you've said so far, I'd finish at the CC and then transfer but there might be other factors so I'd speak in person to an experienced mature student advisor. 

I have not.  And not only that, but running through the transfer equivalency on the U site, I can see that all my current (last semester and this semester) classes have direct equivalency.  But I can see that at least three of my classes from 1996 may not have equivalencies at all.  I'm going to call the U Admissions on Monday and see if I can't work out if and how those will transfer.  If they won't, I may as well choose another class at CC and just go full time next semester at the CC.  Thank you.  This has made the choice more clear.  

I can take more than the minimum, however, only 60 credits is going to transfer over to the University.   ALL of my grades (including a couple unpleasant ones from 1996) will transfer into the U and count towards my overall GPA.  Blessing and curse.  

ETA: I can't believe I didn't think to do a degree audit.  Sheesh.  The math - it won't even count for a thing.  I need Stats, not another Math class.  And the Stats class will count to finish out my AA.  That sealed the deal because now it's not pointless. Because I am not certain if all my classes will transfer from 1996, I looked to see what else could directly transfer in and count NOT as just a gen ed credit.  I adjusted accordingly and registered for fall classes at the CC.  I also have an email into an advisor for incoming transfer adult students at U to doublecheck whether they transfer the AA as one "block" or whether they evaluate each class, in which case the 1995/1996 classes may not count.  Good information to know.

Thanks!!

Edited by BlsdMama

If you're a psych major and plan to continue on for a master's, you'll definitely want to take stats even if it's not technically required. You'll have to take a research methodology course for your master's and I personally would not want to do that without having intro stats under my belt.

I'd considered ed psych before deciding on speech & language pathology, and these are the pre-reqs required by my local Cal State branch for admissions to their master's:

1. STAT 1000 (Elements of Probability and Statistics) 
  2. PSYC 3200 (Psychological Tests)
  3. PSYC 4120 (Theories of Learning)
  4. PSYC 4410 (Abnormal Psychology)
  5. PSYC (Developmental Psychology)