Menu

Leadership

I hope you get some BTDT responses, but I will tell you what I have come up with for my current 9th grader.

Toward the end of 8th grade, he started volunteering at a non-profit organization. As luck would have it, the organization was still "young" and bureaucracy was/is minimal. He has volunteered there for a year now, and I have suggested to him that he take on a project within the organization. Ideally, he will come up with his own project, based on what he sees as a need. Then, he can present it to the board.

But if he really just cannot come up with a project, he can ask his mentor for a project. I am sure she sees plenty of needs. This is my idea, and I do not know if it will come to fruition. Nor do I know if it meets the college-admissions-definition of leadership, but I think it is a reasonable idea :)

My take-away point is that if you think that her leadership skills will be developed within the context of a non-profit, guide her toward choosing one that actually allows young people to take on responsibility. Not all of them do.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

I would agree with pp. owning a project in an organization, coaching, taking on a leadership position eg- president, vice etc within a student organization.

For some introverted kids who do not want to join any organization, I will also say starting something yourself, being a tutor or starting a business might be other ways.

A homeschool girl in my area started the homeschool FBLA branch, other students started a mentoring opportunity for high schools to go into elementary and tutor some hours every week.

I think it is best to do something the student is interested in.

• Like 1

If she swims well, ask if she wants to train to be a volunteer lifeguard. Very little human interaction required and usually there is two or three lifeguards on duty at a big pool center so a comfortable starting spot for introverts.

For my laid back youngest who waits for oldest to do everything for him, we intend to put him into the YMCA Leadership in Training (LiT) camp when he turns 13.

• Like 1

Things my teens have done:

- volunteer on the Leadership Team in their martial arts academy, where they get training in helping with classes and providing feedback to other students

- participate in a Business Entrepreneur course/class; holding an executive position (e.g., VP of finance, marketing, HR, production)  allows for even more leadership experience

- help out in different areas in our community theatre, gradually learning how to be the head of specific areas such as lighting, sound, painting, etc.

Typical things teens do, though my guys haven't done this yet:

- take a Leadership Development course through Parks and Recreation and volunteer and eventually get a job leading sports/recreation/leisure/summer camps and programs

- take sport specific referee and/or coaching courses and then go on to ref or coach 

- assist the instructor in specific areas of growing expertise (e.g., dance, art, drama, riding, orchestra)

• Like 1

Another area leadership can be developed is through helping with children and youth programs at church. 

Teaching or tutoring in a musical instrument or academic subject is another potential leadership development opportunity.

Starting a business, such as dog walking, pet sitting, lawn maintenance, or the like could work, too.

• Like 1

Civil Air Patrol has had the largest impact on leadership skills in my house. Hands down. Within the first month of participation.

Boy Scouts/Venture Scouts come in second.

Sports/math team/etc not so much.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

I think we began by giving them more responsibilities in the family and actually have them lead a family activity.  For example, when we went on vacations to a different city, we would sometimes assign a day to one of our children.  We'd just tell them they had to plan that day.  They had to research things to do in the city, research exhibits at museums or reviews on different shows, etc.   Research where things were, how long it would take to get there, about how much time we might want to stay there.  They'd set a tentative schedule for the entire day then. 

Of course, we'd tweak it as we went if necessary, and it didn't really matter if we stayed exactly on schedule.  But I did notice that projects like these were 1) fun for them, and 2) gave them confidence in making decisions, putting themselves out there a little, and being a leader. 

Of course you could start with smaller projects too.   :)

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

Each of my dc has very different interests, but all have found a way to develop leadership skills within those interests.  None were what I would have expected or planned; they had to come from the dc.  Is your dc currently involved in any activities or hobbies?  What do you see as your dc's strengths? 

• Like 2

Each of my dc has very different interests, but all have found a way to develop leadership skills within those interests.  None were what I would have expected or planned; they had to come from the dc.  Is your dc currently involved in any activities or hobbies?  What do you see as your dc's strengths? 

I have some strong in baseball, some in music, some in math.  They may enjoying playing and studying them, but getting them to want to do something service related is another matter.  And in general, how many years of high school do you need to show strong leadership?

Don't worry too much about making plans for "serving" at this point.  Just let them do their thing and encourage them to take advantage of opportunities when they come up.  "Leadership" doesn't mean it's all pre-planned volunteer work.   Any kind of activity that has them doing something special is good, even if it's paid employment or something that's "just for fun."  If you don't already, start keeping record of what they do and what new things they are learning or trying.  After a while, you may see a pattern and can help steer them toward things that will be meaningful to them.  Here are some ideas related to your dc's interests, but there are likely many others that are better suited for your dc's particular strengths.

Do your baseball players ever help the coach set up or maintain the field, keep stats, or do other team management tasks? Do they stay after practice or get together with other players at other times for extra practice?  Go to baseball camp to develop better skills?   Encourage other team members to do their best?   Referee for younger teams?  Help as assistant coach or team manager for younger teams?  As they show diligence and positive attitude, new opportunities and recognition may arise.

Do your musicians seek out opportunities to perform?  Do they play for church services or with other organized ensembles?  Do they teach lessons to younger students?  Are there places they could play to earn money, such as parties, weddings, farmer's markets (donations), musical theater performances, etc.?  Have they started their own band or taken on any special responsibilities within a band - arranging rehearsal times, keeping everyone on task, composing music, applying for copyright, choosing songs to play, arranging audition dates with potential employers, etc.?

Do your math lovers compete in Math Olympiad or other competitions?  Do they tutor anyone, either for free or for pay?  Do they apply their math knowledge to other areas of their lives?

• Like 2