Menu

What's a "good enough to send to colleges" SAT2 score?

Ds is prepping for 2 SAT subject tests this spring.

He just did the first practice test for each & did not score nearly as well as I thought he would.

He has time to prep till June or prep over summer & take in fall.

We've realized financially he may need to start at our local 4 year anyways which he won't need SAT2s for anyways... So perhaps he'd be better off prepping for a first round of regular SATs this June instead (he is taking a prep clas now) in order to have all next year to try to raise regular SAT scores & help with admissions or aid either locally or elsewhere.

Just curious what score cut off is "worth" sending to colleges. (Not super competitive ones)

If he's not going to score high enough, I feel like it's not worth taking the time for, kwim.

• Like 1

I'm sure it depends on the college, too. It's interesting looking at what some colleges require. Given all UC's talk about a-g (subject) requirements, I was surprised at the subject exam scores needed to satisfy the University of California's requirements..... 560 in Lit to satisfy 3 of the 4 years of required English, 570 on Math Level 1 to satisfy two of the 3 required years of math, 540 on Biology, etc. 

I'm pretty sure we can choose to only send specific SAT subject exam scores, so my students will take the subject exams for courses they're taking during the year and then decide which, if any, to send.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

Just dropping in to add a data sheet in case you don't have it. As you can see, it depends on the test. For example, a 720 on the Literature test puts you at the 80th percentile while an 800 on the Math II test puts you at the 80th percentile. 

Peace,

Janice

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/sat/sat-percentile-ranks-subject-tests-2015.pdf

This might also help - scroll to the bottom and download "Test Characteristics of the SAT Subject Tests"

http://research.collegeboard.org/content/sat-data-tables

Edited by Janice in NJ
  • Like 2

It is not about the percentile, either, since the subject tests are taken by a self-selected elite group of more ambitious students.

I really like this (warning, long) explanation. It summarizes a lot of what I've been trying to wrap my head around, subject-test-wise.

http://www.compassprep.com/whats-a-good-sat-subject-test-score/

The Compass Prep blog is an excellent resource for learning more about college admissions tests.

• Like 3

It is not about the percentile, either, since the subject tests are taken by a self-selected elite group of more ambitious students.

I really like this (warning, long) explanation. It summarizes a lot of what I've been trying to wrap my head around, subject-test-wise.

http://www.compassprep.com/whats-a-good-sat-subject-test-score/

The Compass Prep blog is an excellent resource for learning more about college admissions tests.

That was a very helpful explanation, and I bookmarked it so I can refer it to other people who ask these same questions!

• Like 2

I'm sure it depends on the college, too. It's interesting looking at what some colleges require. Given all UC's talk about a-g (subject) requirements, I was surprised at the subject exam scores needed to satisfy the University of California's requirements..... 560 in Lit to satisfy 3 of the 4 years of required English, 570 on Math Level 1 to satisfy two of the 3 required years of math, 540 on Biology, etc.

I'm pretty sure we can choose to only send specific SAT subject exam scores, so my students will take the subject exams for courses they're taking during the year and then decide which, if any, to send.

Keep in mind that the a-g requirements are seen as minimum requirements for admission. Those test scores would not make you competitive. Way back when I applied to the UCs I sent both kinds of SAT II test scores. A writing test score that just passed the minimum requirements, and a two others that were much, much higher.

• Like 2

DS had a couple schools that wanted to see subject test scores.

His highest was a 680 and his lowest was a 540.  He was accepted at two schools (with merit aid) and rejected at the other.  The school that rejected him has average SAT math scores (non subject test) of 750-800 for the middle 50%.  I'm sure they were looking for nearly perfect Math 2 subject scores and scores on science subject tests that were above 700.  The other two schools (both polytechnics) were content to take the subject scores as a piece of the whole along with AP scores and DE grades.

So a lot depends on what institution the student is applying to.

• Like 3

Sebastian,

Did the colleges want to see all his SAT subject scores?  Or did they just ask for "two SAT subject scores," leaving it up to him to decide which to send?

Thanks,

Yvonne

It depended on the school.

Carnegie Mellon wanted to see specific tests for specific majors.  

Virginia Tech said

Students are encouraged to provide:

• SAT subject test scores in math (level Ic or IIc) and a second area of study to be chosen by the applicant, or grades from dual enrollment courses in math and a second area of study of your choice completed at an accredited college or university.

Coast Guard Academy said they weren't required, but would be considered.

DS sent all of the scores he had to each school that would consider scores.  It may have hurt him to have a lower science score for CMU, but the timing of his exams was such that he didn't have the opportunity to take them more than once.  

My lesson learned from this, BTW, was that ds2 took subject tests in Dec of Junior year.  He has a few schools he's considering that will require them and a few that will accept them.  He will have time to retake tests or take more.

Beware the June sitting.  We are finding that many desirable summer programs overlap with that date.  It is one of only two dates on which Latin is offered.

•  
  • Like 1