Menu

Calling Dr. Hive please...

housemouse

What stomach issues could I have, if any, if lemon water (juice of 2 lemons and 1/3 c warm water) is the only thing that helps?? Or is it not stomach related at all? Doctors keep telling it is heartburn and reflux and keep trying to get me to take reflux/heartburn pills- Tried the pills and made me so sick, I gave up after few days each time. Every time I mention that lemon water is the only thing that helps, every doctor gets that "deer in the headlight" look and tells me "I have been practicing 15, 20 etc. years and I have never heard that before" which does not make me feel better either. I have done some reading and I came up with low stomach acid- again none of the doctors I brought this up to heard of or they do not believe such thing as low acid exists.  No one really wants to investigate it further either.

So, what could this be?

Thank you so very much.

I don't know, but I know you're not alone.  My mother used to drink diluted apple cider vinegar when she was having stomach issues, and she learned that from her grandmother--so there are two others.

Edited by EKS

My naturopath has me drink lemon water with meals, for my liver.

I was already drinking lemon water becasuse I preferred it.

eta: an irritable liver/gallbladder can cause heartburn.

what helps me - is cut out all sugars.  (incl. honey, agave, stevia and artificial sweeteners.  they tend  to irritate the liver.)

Edited by gardenmom5

My naturopath has me drink lemon water with meals, for my liver.

I was already drinking lemon water becasuse I preferred it.

eta: an irritable liver/gallbladder can cause heartburn.

what helps me - is cut out all sugars.  (incl. honey, agave, stevia and artificial sweeteners.  they tend  to irritate the liver.)

The blood work the do for liver and such always comes back normal with very good numbers. Is there specific tests you had done to figure out what it was or was it just the matter of going with the symptoms?

As for sweeteners, does jams with natural sugars not sweetened with sugar or anything else could as ok or a no-no?

Thank you.

Edited by housemouse

It's common with aging for the stomach acid to become less intense, which can feel like too much stomach acid. I've read for years that diluted apple cider vinegar is a remedy for that. Haven't tried it myself. (No need.) 

Do you drink the lemon water all at once or do you sip it?  When I had GERD some years ago, I was able to overcome it by drinking water in little sips when I felt that burning sensation. That really helped. So it's possible that it's the drinking of the water as opposed to the drinking of the water with lemon that helps. In my case, the anti-GERD drugs made things much, much worse. Sipping water, elevating the head of my bed, little meals, and chewing gum all helped. (Gum chewing helps because it increases saliva and saliva has enzymes that counteract the acid.) 

The blood work the do for liver and such always comes back normal with very good numbers. Is there specific tests you had done to figure out what it was or was it just the matter of going with the symptoms?

As for sweeteners, does jams with natural sugars not sweetened with sugar or anything else could as ok or a no-no?

Thank you.

my liver  numbers have been all over the place.  from bad to sterling.  avoiding all sugars like the plague will bring them down and eliminate any heartburn.

adding lemon juice to your drinking water when eating helps the digestion of food.  dh does have a friend who takes HCl in pill form with meals because he doesn't produce enough acid.

define natural sugar. the sugar that is actually IN the actual berries when picked off the vine? or added fructose?  to me, added fructose is just one more source of added sugar better off avoided.

my liver  numbers have been all over the place.  from bad to sterling.  avoiding all sugars like the plague will bring them down and eliminate any heartburn.

adding lemon juice to your drinking water when eating helps the digestion of food.  dh does have a friend who takes HCl in pill form with meals because he doesn't produce enough acid.

define natural sugar. the sugar that is actually IN the actual berries when picked off the vine? or added fructose?  to me, added fructose is just one more source of added sugar better off avoided.

Natural sugars would be jams and jelly that are sweetened with just fruit  juice not sugar or honey or anything artificial.

Research Helicobater Pylori (H. Pylori), lemon, low stomach acid and see if any of that makes sense for your condition. There are a lot of articles on the topic, but I don't want to link, because I have no idea if they are accurate or not.  

Also research Candida, lemon, low stomach acid.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Dh had this and was positive for h pylori and got treated for it.

But the heartburn did not go away till he started HCL.He took Thorne Betaine hcl&pepsin and enzymedica's Digest gold both from Amazon.

He took it for atleast 6 -9 months and was seeing a naturopath as the pcp just gave him ppi.

I know the book why stomach acid is good for you by jonathan Wright was recomended by the naturopath.

Also with H pylori your breath smells weird.There is a breath test for testing H pylori.

GL