Menu

For those of you in CA, don't forget to file your Private School Affidavit!

I am new to CA and have a quick question...

We registered with a charter school and so far I have not had any red flags and it seems like it is going to work out nicely for us. However, IF something should happen to go badly, do you think I should file a private school affidavit just in case? Is it possible to be enrolled in a charter school and have an affidavit on file?

Thanks!:001_smile:

We registered with a charter school and so far I have not had any red flags and it seems like it is going to work out nicely for us. However, IF something should happen to go badly, do you think I should file a private school affidavit just in case? Is it possible to be enrolled in a charter school and have an affidavit on file?

No, I wouldn't. Technically, you're public schoolers. My oldest is in a charter school, my 6yo is not. I will file an affidavit for my 6yo only.

No. If you bail out of the charter school, you can either file an affidavit at that time, or see if there's a private school program that will enroll your dc for the remainder of the school year and request your dc's records.

Thank you! I wonder if the link will be swamped tomorrow?

You know in some ways I wonder too. Since the court case I think CA, homeschool families are probably more likely to file than to use an ISP this year (if they are private school homeschools anyway). I know I certainly would if I was using one! :001_smile:

Hi

We are currently in Arizona but may end up moving to California soonish. We won't know where we are going for another couple of weeks.

If we end up in California would I need to file this form after we get there? Or something else? I was looking and it said the form was only filed until October 15. Does that mean we wouldn't file anything if we arrived after October 15?

Thank you

Hi

We are currently in Arizona but may end up moving to California soonish. We won't know where we are going for another couple of weeks.

If we end up in California would I need to file this form after we get there? Or something else? I was looking and it said the form was only filed until October 15. Does that mean we wouldn't file anything if we arrived after October 15?

Thank you

Ellie says this: "If you bail out of the charter school, you can either file an affidavit at that time, or see if there's a private school program that will enroll your dc for the remainder of the school year and request your dc's records."

But I will tell you that I probably would not file it after Oct. 15 unless the state told me I should do so. If you move after that date and are going to privately homeschool then I would call to ask them what their procedure would be. I would make sure my HSLDA membership was updated and ask them if I really had concerns about it.

Regardless - welcome to the state (if you come!) :tongue_smilie:

Hi - I am jumping in here completely...but I was curious. I don't live in CA, but my dh was reading something online saying that if you were a homeschool parent in CA, you had to now have a teaching degree to continue. Is that true? Is there a way around it? I am just curious and thought you all would be able to tell me more than what I heard from my dh. Thanks!