Menu

I need brainstorming help for finding an inexpensive banquet hall type of venue outside my local area

Laurie4b

Ds is getting married overseas and he and his bride want to do a U.S. reception too .Nearly all extended family live a couple states away, so that is where we are planning the US reception. 

Other than churches, what other places should I try? I am going to look at Elk's Clubs. But I can't really think of other things to google. We don't need fancy and cannot afford it either!  We need space for 100 or less. 

Any ideas for me to google?

Thanks!

Well, DH found ours online. I think he searched restaurants. Or maybe bowling alleys. Our reception venue was a restaurant/bowling alley/banquet hall in one.

I'd honestly google "banquet hall name of city/state." Then I'd look at the local parks. And go from there.

You should call the Chamber of Commerce for that city. They can either direct you to resources or send some directly to you.

Churches of your denomination, community centers, libraries with public rooms, some parks may have buildings - see if the city has a tourism website. You may find something there.

In your shoes, I would certainly seek help from one of your friends/relatives who lives in the area.

Also look at historic homes.   We did a 50th anniversary party for my ILs several years ago in a historic home that is used primarily for weddings, receptions, banquets, and parties.   Many such places should be able to accommodate 100 people, and from what I remember, the cost was reasonable.   We had a caterer serve cake and hors d'oeuvres.   

If you call a wedding shop locally, they'd probably be able to give you recommendations over the phone.   Or ask one of the extended family members who lives there for a recommendation.

Moose Lodges in this area tend to be fairly reasonable? What is your price range and how elegant of a facility do you want? Some VFW halls may be available for $300.00 range but often are small and cannot  accommodate more than 100 guests. Moose Lodge's if they also have a bar and restaurant/catering license will be able to handle a little bit larger group.

For the most part, you will find that hotel conference rooms are not cheap and you won't be able to do anything like potluck or cooked by you and what not because it will not include use of the kitchen facilities.

You might find a museum that could accommodate you for a reasonable price. Some of them make great wedding venues. However, in order to be reasonably priced, it would have to be a more local type museum, and not something big like the Henry Ford which is an AMAZING reception venue but pricey, pricey, pricey.

Community colleges often have conference rooms for rent and if one of the relatives is an alum or instructor, you might get a discount. The state flagships usually have great venues, but they tend to book two years in advance. It might not hurt to check if you know an alum who might be able to negotiate a deal.

If the weather is nice, state parks are a great deal because they usually rent their picnic pavilions very cheaply. If you get water front, then you hardly need decorations as the view is lovely.

Condominium associations.  The last funeral and wedding receptions I went to were at these locations.  A local school let some friends use their student gathering area for their ginormous wedding reception.  Some golf / country clubs are really expensive...but some are not.  Senior communities (those neighborhoods where you have to be 55 or older to live there) have gathering places...maybe check there.  

Many restaurants and hotels have private banquet rooms that charge a deposit, but it towards the cost of your food.

We used a local country club for our sons'srehearsal dinner. It was a pizza and bread stick buffet with a sundae bar for dessert. It was really nice.