Menu

Selling stuff on craigslist

Mama Geek

We are trying to sell a car on craigslist.  It is an older car but holds it value well so it isn't particularly cheap.  We have had 1 person come to look at it and everyone else wants to negotiate price before even seeing it.  What is the lowest you will take for it kind of thing sight unseen.  Is this really how most people do things now?  If I think something is reasonably priced and I am interested and have the money I will go and look at it and talk to the owners and decide for myself what I am willing to pay for it.  I assume when they are trying to get a number out of me before seeing it that if they come to see it they will try to get it lower still.

I almost want to say what is the max you will pay for it as a response.

Edited by Mama Geek
  • Like 2

It is common.  Dh buys and sells tractors and cars on Craig's List all the time.  He will often have a price in mind that he is willing to pay for a vehicle, after researching.  He will always ask if the seller can come close to that price before driving out to see it.  (Around here he may have to drive 30 minutes to an hour for most sales).  If not he moves on.  

I've never sold anything big on Craigslist, but it has definitely been my experience that the first thing people ask is if you will come down on the price. I just started pricing that in. It reminds me of the standard approach at a yard sale or antique shop.

• Like 1

Yes. It's normal.

We sell registered cattle. They are worth every penny of the selling price because my dh HATES negotiation. We've had people email us ridiculous offers.  Like half the price. It's insulting.

So my dh writes in his posting "These cattle are worth this selling price. If you are not interested in paying this price do not waste my time with low ball offers."

• Like 3

You should say that, LOL! Actually, what I would put down on the price if you're already at your lowest price is " no dickering" or "price firm".

We are trying to sell a car on craigslist. It is an older car but holds it value well so it isn't particularly cheap. We have had 1 person come to look at it and everyone else wants to negotiate price before even seeing it. What is the lowest you will take for it kind of thing sight unseen. Is this really how most people do things now? If I think something is reasonably priced and I am interested and have the money I will go and look at it and talk to the owners and decide for myself what I am willing to pay for it. I assume when they are trying to get a number out of me before seeing it that if they come to see it they will try to get it lower still.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

We are trying to sell a car on craigslist.  It is an older car but holds it value well so it isn't particularly cheap.  We have had 1 person come to look at it and everyone else wants to negotiate price before even seeing it.  What is the lowest you will take for it kind of thing sight unseen.  Is this really how most people do things now?  If I think something is reasonably priced and I am interested and have the money I will go and look at it and talk to the owners and decide for myself what I am willing to pay for it.  I assume when they are trying to get a number out of me before seeing it that if they come to see it they will try to get it lower still.

No, those are mostly scammer resellers doing that.

Legitimate buyers like you (and me) looking for a car will see it first, after weeding out up front on price.  If you aren't even in the ballpark, you are unlikely to be contacted.   I've purchased several vehicles from Craigslist sellers.  

Ignore those who want to negotiate without seeing it.   Tell them your available appointment times and if they are serious, they will make one. 

Just don't answer that question.

• Like 2

No, those are mostly scammer resellers doing that.

Legitimate buyers like you (and me) looking for a car will see it first, after weeding out up front on price.  If you aren't even in the ballpark, you are unlikely to be contacted.   I've purchased several vehicles from Craigslist sellers.  

Ignore those who want to negotiate without seeing it.   Tell them your available appointment times and if they are serious, they will make one. 

Just don't answer that question.

Exactly this.  

The only exception is if the add has been reposted several times at the same price, a buyer might be interested and figure you are unrealistically high because it hasn't sold.  I'd consider replying in that case, whether you hold firm and ask them to look at it in person, mention the price is slightly negotiable or whatever.  

Craigslist is free, and the people on there are cheap.  Firm, no lowballers, or OBO are all pretty well understood even by cheap people.  

have you priced it on kelly blue book and/or edmunds for your make, model,  mileage, condition, features,  AND your location?  is the title clean, salvage, rebuild, etc?  (I won't look at anything that isn't 'clean'.) and is that posted?

does the ad include pictures of the exterior as well as interior?

have you looked at your local craigslist to see how many other cars there are just like it out there?  (even though kbb and e are "supposed" to reflect prices for our market - I've found for some they are under, and other's they are over.  depends upon demand.

for me - depending upon above - I may want to negotiate (but won't even bother looking if it doesn't meet a minimum requirement.)

ftr:  we've bought two used sedans in the last six months for college students.  (and I'm the one who does the tracking it down so dh can go check it out.)

while I was looking - I saw the make/model I was looking for, body condition was so-so, but they'd priced it WAY high.  what a dealer would charge for one in much better condtion.  I asked the guy what was so great about this car (so many sell-by-owners leave so much information out of the ad.  I admit to frequently ignoring ads that didn't have adequate information - UNLESS, it looked very very promising for what I was looking for.  generally, not worth my time.)  that justified  his price.   . . . . . he thought it was a great car. (not compared  to the other same make/model cars out there.)  I didn't  even forward the information to dh.  

another thing to do to get more 'hits', is  list comparable makes/model/body style features.

eta: my point is - there are idiots out there who make all sorts of unreasonable requests. just hold for what you are willing to sell.

Edited by gardenmom5