Menu

Where is the cat going to the bathroom?

Tsuga

We moved. The cat is indoors for now. His litter box, which used to be a back-up option for him as an indoor-outdoor cat, is here and was not washed (just refreshed with new litter). It is in the master bathroom, near where he sleeps.

He has been here almost 48 hours. No evidence of elimination in the box. Is that normal? We can't smell anything. I see no evidence of cat urine or feces anywhere. I'm getting worried. We will probably let him out today. But tell me, where is he doing it and if he isn't how can we help make him more comfortable? He doesn't look uncomfortable and he's eating which I find concerning (because what goes on must come out!).

Follow your nose? When we adopted our kitty, she immediately urinated on the leather sofa. :ack2: Google told me that cats often pee on leather due to the curing process which apparently makes it smell like urine. :ack2: So, check any leather furniture.

You might consider confining him to one room in the house until you are certain he has adjusted to the new house. Or, you could move the box to a central location, or implement several temporary litter boxes.

• Like 1

Our cat used the toilet. I didn't realize it until I got so frustrated with "someone" leaving the bathroom door open that I stormed in - only to find the cat was the one using the toilet with the door open and "forgetting" to flush.

I've heard of people training their cats to do this but never of a cat figuring it out on their own!

• Like 6

On phone so cannot multi quote. To answer:

1. No indoor plants.

2. I did a walk through and sniffed each corner. Nothing.

3. No, does not appear to be in pain.

4. There is soooo much stuff still I assembled. I will have to do it room by room. But it passes the sniff test.

5. Water bowl is nearly empty at night :( though, the forced air leaves us with low humidity...

ETA 6. We confined him in our bedroom the first night but with four kids and two working adults long term confinement is unrealistic and for this cat particularly cruel. We don't have a kitty condo.

He went outside today and came back right away.

I guess on the bright side if he marked this as his territory with poop he knows where home is now...

Thanks for all the ideas. I will update when we're all unpacked.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

My cat had used the bathtub at another place we lived before and I thought I saw evidence he was starting to use the potty so when I noticed the litter box not being used but no smells around the house. We just changed litter. He was acting fine and not like he was in pain. It ended up not being good but he also stopped eating. My cat always reacted to new houses either by really not liking it and protesting or the opposite and really liking the new place. It is good your cat is eating. You may find a surprise somewhere but I would also keep an eye on it to make sure he can go.

Edited by MistyMountain

Have you checked all the dirty clothes hampers? Every time I've had a cat who peed outside the litter box for whatever reason, they always found dirty clothes to pee in at least once. I think they like it because they can still bury it after.  :glare:

• Like 1