Menu

Textbook based history for 6th grade

kentuckymom

I know I just posted that I'm looking seriously at BookShark and Sonlight, and I am, but I want to consider lots of options before I make a decision. Squirrelboy has really enjoyed the 5th grade American History textbook his school is using this year, but he complains that it gives too little information. It's a pretty thin textbook. I'm wondering if he'd enjoy a high quality textbook with other books added in as we choose as opposed to a purely lit based program.

So what are some good textbook based history options for middle school? He has expressed a preference for continuing with American history, but I'm not completely sold on the idea, so I'm open to other topics as well.

If you want to do British History, Galore Park is good. We did all three Stage 3 (approximately middle school) books in one year since I wasn't as concerned about DD remembering specifics-we did some, but not all, of the writing assignments, but had her outline/summarize (and, since it's DD, illustrate) the whole thing.

Also, has he done the Hakim History of the US, either the K12 summarized version, or the original 10 book series? My DD enjoyed that.

We love Notgrass here! :)

Thanks! I'm planning to go up to Cincinnati next week just to visit the vendor hall at the Great Homeschool Convention and Notgrass is on my list of things to check out. I know they have three books at a middle school level. Any recommendations on the best order to do them in if we were go that direction and love the first one we did?

If you don't mind Christian textbooks, BJU 6th is very good. It's a study of ancient history. The student activity manual is what makes the program, IMHO. The sample linked below doesn't do it justice. There are graphic organizers for each chapter to help you organize info and take notes as you read through the text. There's mapping, essay writing, study guides for the tests, etc. 

http://www.christianbook.com/heritage-grade-6-student-third-edition/9781591665656/pd/233379?event=ESRCG

http://www.christianbook.com/heritage-studies-grade-6-student-activity/9781591665663/pd/233429?event=ESRCG

If you don't mind Christian textbooks, BJU 6th is very good. It's a study of ancient history. The student activity manual is what makes the program, IMHO. The sample linked below doesn't do it justice. There are graphic organizers for each chapter to help you organize info and take notes as you read through the text. There's mapping, essay writing, study guides for the tests, etc. 

http://www.christianbook.com/heritage-grade-6-student-third-edition/9781591665656/pd/233379?event=ESRCG

http://www.christianbook.com/heritage-studies-grade-6-student-activity/9781591665663/pd/233429?event=ESRCG

Thanks! I'm inclined against BJU because I'm not a fan of the university itself, but the text actually looks quite good. I'll add it to my list of things to look at in person next week.

Notgrass has gone over well - I ADORE the book of primary source documents you get. I sat and read and read in it when it came, and the text itself is very interesting. 

Our other favorite is the history series by the Catholic Textbook Project. It is very well done, but if you aren't Catholic is may not work for you. Each book has two chapters, I think, about Catholics in particular. You can see the table of contents on their website. 

DD has really liked the condensed version of A History of US. She's about halfway through book C. It's 4 volumes (this is a link to the second book in the series because it was the first one to show up in my search). I like it because there's a bit less overlap than in the 10 or 11 book set, but still covers US history in a comprehensive and relatively narrative way. If you read a chapter or two a day, you can get through all 4 books in a year, or stretch it out with projects and additional reading and do books A and B in one year, and C and D the next. Plus, if you're willing to buy used, you can get them super-cheap in great condition.

Notgrass has gone over well - I ADORE the book of primary source documents you get. I sat and read and read in it when it came, and the text itself is very interesting. 

Our other favorite is the history series by the Catholic Textbook Project. It is very well done, but if you aren't Catholic is may not work for you. Each book has two chapters, I think, about Catholics in particular. You can see the table of contents on their website

We're Protestant, but I seriously considered joining the RCC once upon a time and I still have some Catholic sympathies :). I looked at the samples, and WOW, I really, really like both the writing style and what I see of the contents, especially ALL YE LANDS. It's so refreshing to read a decidedly Christian book that talks about prehistory and the evolution of Man. I may look at Notgrass or something else altogether and decide it's a better fit for us, but I've gotten the best first impression yet from these books, so thanks for the recommendation even if we don't use it. I'm glad they exist!

We're Protestant, but I seriously considered joining the RCC once upon a time and I still have some Catholic sympathies :). I looked at the samples, and WOW, I really, really like both the writing style and what I see of the contents, especially ALL YE LANDS. It's so refreshing to read a decidedly Christian book that talks about prehistory and the evolution of Man. I may look at Notgrass or something else altogether and decide it's a better fit for us, but I've gotten the best first impression yet from these books, so thanks for the recommendation even if we don't use it. I'm glad they exist!

Oh, I'm glad! I almost didn't mention them! We really liked All Ye Lands, it was my favorite. I wish they had more of the grade levels! And a science series! But they are getting there, slowly. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am very impressed with Notgrass From Adam to Us.

The text is quite detailed and the photographs in the textbook are fabulous.  The original document book selections and the lit books chapters to read are scheduled out for you day to day.  There are two workbook options so you can assign output to gauge learning.

The program can be done independently or together with multiple kids. 

I am very happy with this for my 6th grader.