Menu

Alternative to analytical grammar for 6th grader

I'm finally convinced formal grammar instruction is in my dds best interest. We both like the look of AG, however the price tag is too steep. Next year she will be doing WWS and ATF&F. Is there a less expensive grammar alternative that goes well with WWS?

• Like 1

I'm hoping to hear that SWB is finally coming out with Advanced language Lessons before September :-). I saw her post about it somewhere on here recently, but now I can't find that post. Otherwise, my upcoming 6th graders will be doing Analytical Grammar and I will need to buy 2 student workbooks for my twins. It is expensive, but looks really good!

Does CLE include diagramming?

Yes, it does.  It has really been a great fit for us.  Thorough, but not completely time consuming.  It takes her a little more than 15 minutes each lesson.  We skip the quizzes and tests though. My plan is to spread levels 6-8 out by going half speed or so, finishing sometime in high school.

Edited by KeriJ

We like Saxon Grammar (by Hake).  My dd13 despised AG, but actually enjoys Saxon (it does have diagramming, but not as much as AG).  She is now in grade 7 after starting in grade 5; I think it starts at grade 3 or 4 and  goes to grade 8.  Placement is at grade level so it doesn't matter if a student has done the earlier levels because the material is reviewed each year.  Saxon math did not work for dd, but the grammar is perfect for her.  It takes about 15 or 20 minutes a day, and I let her write in the textbook (which is softbound and low quality paper almost like newsprint), except for diagramming which she does in a separate notebook. My only gripe about Saxon Grammar is the quality of the book--wish they would just make the cheap textbooks into better quality paper workbooks.

Edited by monalisa
  • Like 1

I'm finally convinced formal grammar instruction is in my dds best interest. We both like the look of AG, however the price tag is too steep. Next year she will be doing WWS and ATF&F. Is there a less expensive grammar alternative that goes well with WWS?

Is she going to do Writing With Skill and All Things Fun And Fascinating (from IEW) or am I misunderstanding your acronyms?  I know that's not what you asked about, but just curious as Writing With Skill could work for anywhere from 6-9th grade (imho), and All Things fun and Fascinating could work for anywhere from 2nd - 4th grades (imho).  It just seems like a strange pairing unless I'm missing something.  Do you already own them or could you use the funds designated for one for AG instead?

Is she going to do Writing With Skill and All Things Fun And Fascinating (from IEW) or am I misunderstanding your acronyms? I know that's not what you asked about, but just curious as Writing With Skill could work for anywhere from 6-9th grade (imho), and All Things fun and Fascinating could work for anywhere from 2nd - 4th grades (imho). It just seems like a strange pairing unless I'm missing something. Do you already own them or could you use the funds designated for one for AG instead?

It look like all things fun is a bit lighter and more fun and more "writing instruction" than copy narrate dictate repeat. Also it is for grades 3-5 and I expect to be a bit behind in writing.

FWIW, AG is meant to be spread across three years. The price evens out in the long run.

If you like the looks of it, perhaps do JAG instead? If you work on it 5x/week it will be done in 11 weeks.

It's the upfront that gets me. Sometimes it doesn't matter that it evens out. Edited by mysticmomma

I am seeing a set of AG (student book and TG) at Homeschool Classifieds for $65, and a set on Amazon for $67 -- about $25 off of new…

Free options (although, not free if you print off the work pages) that are methodical working through of all the Grammar topics (spend as much or as little time on each topic as needed):

KISS Grammar

- Daily Grammar

Free, read-only-online options:

MacGraw Hill student Grammar practice book

Scott Foresman Reading is both Writing AND Grammar topics 

I hear really good things on these boards about Rod and Staff's grammar. It's mixed into a full language program that includes some writing, etc. We are planning to use it for the first time next year instead of AG. Like you, I didn't want to put up the money for a three year program in case it was a flop for us. We are using another writing program as well, and I plan to simply skip those assignments.

R&S has a reputation for being very inexpensive and very thorough for grammar. It may be worth looking into if you're not opposed to a Christian curriculum option.

Edited by Roseto27
  • Like 1

Yes. It's R&S English and you really only need the teacher book and student text. They make a test/quiz book and a workbook as well. However, most people don't even do all of the student text problems, much less need more practice on the worksheets. ;)

Edited by Roseto27