Menu

New Board Friends Function

Does this serve any purpose? I mena, it's nice to get friend requests. "Ooh, look! So and so wants to be my friend!" It seems the forum equivalent of a warm fuzzy, but does it do anything else? I'm feeling clueless. At least I understand it better than Facebook and MySpace friend requests from people I don't know. Now that is weird. Oh, and thank you to the two people who did send me friend requests. I'm not knockin' it; I just don't get it. Speak to me slowly and in simple terms.

No, the friends function doesn't give you any advantage. It doesn't make it easier to PM someone or to use the forum as a sounding board. Everyone on this board is my board-friend still whether you show up on my profile page or not. All of you (if you choose to click open my posts) see my questions, my advice, my requests, my funnies. And all of you have the same opportunity to enlighten me, to admonish me and to laugh at me (or is that with me?)!

But the function has in a way helped me to think more about you in terms of being real people. I've sent friend requests to those who I know IRL and to those whose on-line messages seem to resonate with me in a special way. If you don't think of me as a stalker, I will admit that I've actually researched a couple of you by looking at what kind of posts you make (esp. those who aren't as well known). And I've discovered that if you lived closer to me, I'd love to invite you over for a cup of tea (with all lowercase letters).

Of course the danger in admitting that is that I've obviously left people out. And I know that I have left people out who are wonderful people. Newer people who don't post much are going to be left out more because I haven't had a chance to get to know them in their posts. Some people who have touched me in their caring or challenging posts over the years have been left out because I have the brain a size of pea and have forgotten to include them! And of course I've left people out because I'm not done inviting people to be my friend yet - at least until the moderators put a limit on how many friends we can have. So if you look at my list you will see a small segment of the people who have enriched my life.

Does this serve any purpose? I mena, it's nice to get friend requests. "Ooh, look! So and so wants to be my friend!" It seems the forum equivalent of a warm fuzzy, but does it do anything else? I'm feeling clueless. At least I understand it better than Facebook and MySpace friend requests from people I don't know. Now that is weird. Oh, and thank you to the two people who did send me friend requests. I'm not knockin' it; I just don't get it. Speak to me slowly and in simple terms.

Well, I'm "tweaking it" -- as I do most things -- and have made it my own personal "rep system." I invite people to be my "friend" because I enjoy their posts and insights. I might not agree with them, but I would have repped them before and now there's the added bonus of being able to know who I would have repped -- short term memory being what it is. ;)

Yes, I'm trying to figure this out, too! If I forget to add someone to my friend list whose posts I love to read, I don't want them to think that I've slighted them! I love all the folks here on these boards, whether I agree with them or not!

And what does it mean for me to be added to someone else's list? Can we send/receive secret squirrel messages, somehow?

I guess I *thought* adding someone as a friend would be easier for me to keep tabs on their posts - but maybe I assumed too much there. I was thinking I could go look at my friends and click through to their posts easily so if I was away from the board a couple days I could make sure I didn't miss anything from people whose posts I really enjoy.

I am not useful. I don't "do" anything. I'm merely decorative.

I guess I *thought* adding someone as a friend would be easier for me to keep tabs on their posts - but maybe I assumed too much there. I was thinking I could go look at my friends and click through to their posts easily so if I was away from the board a couple days I could make sure I didn't miss anything from people whose posts I really enjoy.

That would be cool!

No, the friends function doesn't give you any advantage. It doesn't make it easier to PM someone or to use the forum as a sounding board. Everyone on this board is my board-friend still whether you show up on my profile page or not. All of you (if you choose to click open my posts) see my questions, my advice, my requests, my funnies. And all of you have the same opportunity to enlighten me, to admonish me and to laugh at me (or is that with me?)!

But the function has in a way helped me to think more about you in terms of being real people. I've sent friend requests to those who I know IRL and to those whose on-line messages seem to resonate with me in a special way. If you don't think of me as a stalker, I will admit that I've actually researched a couple of you by looking at what kind of posts you make (esp. those who aren't as well known). And I've discovered that if you lived closer to me, I'd love to invite you over for a cup of tea (with all lowercase letters).

Of course the danger in admitting that is that I've obviously left people out. And I know that I have left people out who are wonderful people. Newer people who don't post much are going to be left out more because I haven't had a chance to get to know them in their posts. Some people who have touched me in their caring or challenging posts over the years have been left out because I have the brain a size of pea and have forgotten to include them! And of course I've left people out because I'm not done inviting people to be my friend yet - at least until the moderators put a limit on how many friends we can have. So if you look at my list you will see a small segment of the people who have enriched my life.

Jean, you said this all so beautifully! And I would say I agree with what you have said as well. I am quite holey in my head and know that I will forget those that I didn't mean to. But I am trying!