Menu

What do you do when you don't have enough bookcases?

Kris

:lurk5:

You don't want to know how many books we have here. :(

Why do some of the kitchen and linen closets also have shelves full of books??

3yr old LOVES books. So we keep buying them. sigh...

but oh the joy when we remember a shelf of books we've havent read in a while!

DH wants a library in the house some day.

I'm afraid because i already feel like i pick up books all day.

Edited by lwilliams1922

Yesterday I was cleaning out the school room. We have too much to fit on the bookshelves -- four alone in that room.

So I gathered all the outgrown books. Then I didn't have anywhere to put them. So I grabbed a bunch of laundry detergent boxes that I save. I put them in the boxes and piled the boxes in my school room closet. I'll get around to selling them one of these days. (And they'll smell very clean, to boot! lol)

I bet I boxed up over 100 books. Now all our current, age-appropriate books fit on the book shelves.

We have many, many bookshevles in this house. Most are double stacked full of books. When we can't double stack, I make DH go through his and I go through mine, and we take what we cull to our library for their book sale.

I hate getting rid of books, though.

My house has a lot of storage built into it, so most of the kids' books (especially the history and science books) are on shelves in their closet. As are my favorite books in my closet.

The drawers of my bedside table are filled with books, and the wall in the corner of my bedroom is lined with the books that are on my "To Be Read" list. Nature study and gardening books are in plastic tubs that usually live in the back of the car or the garage. And I have piles of books everywhere as well...

I know the obvious answer is "buy another one" or "box 'em up." :D

I have books stacked everywhere -- and all the bookcases are full. Does anyone have any creative ideas?

We have lots of built in bookcases, free standing book cases, AND books boxed up and sitting in the garage. I feel your pain!!

I'm trying to convince DH that what I really need is a Kindle. All those paperbacks could be stored in one little device so easily, and we could just keep the nicer hardcovers on our bookshelves.

:D

I know the obvious answer is "buy another one" or "box 'em up." :D

I have books stacked everywhere -- and all the bookcases are full. Does anyone have any creative ideas?

I recently went through every bookshelf and purged the books I knew we were not going to use or that were just not worth keeping. Yes, there are books like that! :001_smile: I just had a lot of books we were not really using and wouldn't use anymore. (Or we were done with them, etc.) It freed up a great deal of space. I put them in boxes and offered them to friends and the ones that were left I gave to Goodwill. I sold a handful on WTM, but I find most books don't sell well on WTM. Goodwill was a wonderful choice. The purging though - was great. :001_smile:

Sign up at PaperbackSwap and swap them. When you mail them out you will get a credit which you don't have to use right away. That way if you have a book that you are looking for, you can put it on your wish list and get it now or later, depending on it's availability at the time. I think that it is a great way to rotate your books without a great deal of expense. I have books on my wishlist for next years term that are not available now but by the time I need them I should be able to get them.

I took over 20 boxes to Half Price books and made about $100.

Give them to the local library.

Sell or donate them. :)

Okay -- if you guys are gonna talk dirty, I'm outta this thread! :lol:

Sign up at PaperbackSwap and swap them. When you mail them out you will get a credit which you don't have to use right away. That way if you have a book that you are looking for, you can put it on your wish list and get it now or later, depending on it's availability at the time. I think that it is a great way to rotate your books without a great deal of expense. I have books on my wishlist for next years term that are not available now but by the time I need them I should be able to get them.

Actually, I do "do" Paperback swap (and have donated a *lot* of books to our library, etc.). It's great -- and I learned about it here on these forums!

The "stackers" are (1) keepers and (2) next year and (3) the year after that. :)

And while my Sweetie is . . . well, he's a sweetie! And he'd be more than happy to build something for me. It's just that -- well -- um -- well -- um -- :)

Sadly, I have started to get rid of some books. I do want one more bookcase, though -- for my own personal use in my bedroom, and a comfy overstuffed chair next to it. And I'd like to replace the little one that I use for schoolbooks with a larger one. But aside from that, I'm afraid that my husband would probably be upset if I got anything more. I'm really hopeless when it comes to books.:blushing:

I just sold some of mine on the swap board. Some I have given away to other homeschoolers. Some I've traded for one's I want on paperbackswap.com

But I also loaded up the trunk of my car and dropped a ton off at a Goodwill drop area. My trunk was literally full of boxes and sacks of books.

Be careful about paperbackswap.com If you don't just get a lot of the extra out of the house instead of trading for more you'll just continue to be over ran with books. But it is nice to get some from paperbackswap.com that you know you'll actually be using and would've had to purchase at retail.

Last year I gave about 600 to a friend whose husband is disabled. She supplements their income by selling on half.com. I was able to quickly clear my shelves without feeling guilty about getting rid of books--most of them were from thrift stores and garage sales--and she made a nice little bundle. We both won. I wish I could say that I still had that shelf space, but I immediately started to fill it up with new thrift store finds.