Menu

Dog Experts: What is the best chew to get?

Pen

I was about to get my dog bully sticks, and then found that they have had recalls due to bacteria, or at least some have had. So, now what?  Get them anyway, and if so from what company and source? Or is something else better from pov safety, nutrition, etc.? He is tired of real bones. 

This is for a 65 pound dog.

Not a dog expert, but avoid anything from China.

Bully sticks smell terrible. With good reason considering what they are made out of, the primary distinguishing feature of a bull. Google for a more graphic description.

Edited by Kalmia

I like the red, bone-shaped Kongs. I put treats inside and then plug the ends with milk bones.

I refill them several times a day. They work great for us, but the breed of dog I have is not particularly mouthy. I don't think they have a huge need to chew.

It really depends on what your dog prefers, his chewing style and your comfort level.  Almost any chew item for a dog is going to have some degree of risk involved (anything from choking to breaking a tooth).

For bully sticks I order the American made, no odor ones from Bestbullysticks.

Antlers and Himalayn chews are also favorites (available from Bestbullysticks, Amazon or just about any pet store).

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

It really depends on what your dog prefers, his chewing style and your comfort level.  Almost any chew item for a dog is going to have some degree of risk involved (anything from choking to breaking a tooth).

For bully sticks I order the American made, no odor ones from Bestbullysticks.

Antlers and Himalayn chews are also favorites (available from Bestbullysticks, Amazon or just about any pet store).

:iagree:

Best Bully Sticks is a great company and their prices are better.  We had to be careful with the Himalayan chew if it got too small. 

• Like 1