Menu

Thank you! Thank you Duolingo fans!! + one question.

Based on your advice, I've got my kids totally hooked on Duolingo Spanish -- thank you so, so much! I'm stunned something so cool is free. WTH?!

Anyhoo, I can't find the thread where you tell me which Spanish curriculum you pair w/ Duolingo?

Can you let me know your favorite written Spanish curriculum here?

Again, thank you for your Spanish help -- it's truly appreciated!

Alley

• Like 1

I have tired various French curriculum, but nothing stuck with us till Duolingo. 

I did use to get various things from the library and listen or watch them with the boys. I recommend you try out all things your library offers before buying something. It will give you a better idea of what you might like. 

One thing I did do is promise that once Eldest reaches the end of his Duolingo tree his French for awhile will be re-watching a favorite TV show with French audio. Then it will be, if I can find one playing a favorite computer game with lots of audio in French. 

So for the 11yos in your signature? Spanish for Children would work well. That's what my 7th grader has paired with Duolingo this year. It's worked fabulously.

We plan to go with Breaking the Barrier after SFC B. A 7th grader could probably start here and just not go full speed. It's high school level.

I have tired various French curriculum, but nothing stuck with us till Duolingo. 

I did use to get various things from the library and listen or watch them with the boys. I recommend you try out all things your library offers before buying something. It will give you a better idea of what you might like. 

One thing I did do is promise that once Eldest reaches the end of his Duolingo tree his French for awhile will be re-watching a favorite TV show with French audio. Then it will be, if I can find one playing a favorite computer game with lots of audio in French. 

Similar here.  My kids have never seen the original Star Trek series, and I was thinking that would be super fun in German.  LOL.  

• Like 1

So for the 11yos in your signature? Spanish for Children would work well. That's what my 7th grader has paired with Duolingo this year. It's worked fabulously.

We plan to go with Breaking the Barrier after SFC B. A 7th grader could probably start here and just not go full speed. It's high school level.

Is Spanish for Children in workbook form? If yes, I'd buy two for two kids?

I'm not sure what to buy: DVDs, audio discs? My kids are both 12 and in 7th grade.

Thanks!

Alley

Edited by Alicia64

Is Spanish for Children in workbook form? If yes, I'd buy two for two kids?

I'm not sure what to buy: DVDs, audio discs? My kids are both 12 and in 7th grade.

Thanks!

Alley

Yes, each kid would need their own workbook, which is called the primer. If you're learning Spanish alongside them I'd definitely get the DVDs. If you're comfortable teaching it you would probably be okay without them. The audio disks come with the DVDs, but we rarely used them. The DVDs are great though. And of course the answer key would make grading faster and easier for you.

My 7th grader has done about a page a day in SFC alongside daily Duolingo practice. I'm very pleased with his progress.

• Like 1

Yes, each kid would need their own workbook, which is called the primer. If you're learning Spanish alongside them I'd definitely get the DVDs. If you're comfortable teaching it you would probably be okay without them. The audio disks come with the DVDs, but we rarely used them. The DVDs are great though. And of course the answer key would make grading faster and easier for you.

My 7th grader has done about a page a day in SFC alongside daily Duolingo practice. I'm very pleased with his progress.

Not to be dingy, but I should buy the primer for 7th grade, right?

Thank you so much!

Alley

Not to be dingy, but I should buy the primer for 7th grade, right?

Thank you so much!

Alley

I'm not sure I understand the question. They don't come with grades, but Spanish for Children is very appropriate for a 7th grader. The primer is the workbook which is the only student text there is. There's an answer key, DVD set, and optional reader to go with it. If you're fairly new to Spanish you should definitely get the DVD. Headventureland.com has extra practice.

FWIW, the grammar instruction in SFC is far meatier than the typical public school Spanish 1 textbook. I own a brand new Holt set and a late 90's Pearson set, which I used to evaluate how much ground my high schoolers have covered since they were using an older, non-standard introductory text (Madrigal's Magic Key). When DS/7th finishes a year of Duolingo with SFC I have no doubts he could pass the final tests for these ps texts.

Edited by SilverMoon

The grammar & vocab in SFC A was very similar to (and, in some grammar cases, beyond) what DD learned in high school Spanish I. DD learned more vocab in Spanish I, but the actual grammar was the same or beyond Spanish I knowledge.

SFC A was too much without enough review (even with Headventureland - which was fairly new at the time) for my DD when we tried it, but was great content - looking back. It just didn't work for us. We used Getting Started with Spanish (and Duolingo) before trying SFC A. We didn't use the videos and perhaps that would have been more helpful. SFC is a really meaty program.

The grammar & vocab in SFC A was very similar to (and, in some grammar cases, beyond) what DD learned in high school Spanish I. DD learned more vocab in Spanish I, but the actual grammar was the same or beyond Spanish I knowledge.

SFC A was too much without enough review (even with Headventureland - which was fairly new at the time) for my DD when we tried it, but was great content - looking back. It just didn't work for us. We used Getting Started with Spanish (and Duolingo) before trying SFC A. We didn't use the videos and perhaps that would have been more helpful. SFC is a really meaty program.

If I'm looking at it correctly, Getting Started with Spanish isn't a workbook. It just lists lessons. How do you give the lessons to your kids? Or is the book a workbook?

Alley

If I'm looking at it correctly, Getting Started with Spanish isn't a workbook. It just lists lessons. How do you give the lessons to your kids? Or is the book a workbook?

Alley

we do GSWS along with duolingo.  We just do GSWS orally.  he listens to the pronounciations and repeats them, then translates them.

I agree SFC doesn't have enough review by itself, but that's exactly what makes it a great pairing with Duolingo for us. SFC is grammar heavy and needs review; Duolingo has excellent review but not a lick of grammar. 20-30 minutes of Duolingo and one page of SFC a day is a very manageable workload and they compliment each other fabulously. My kids have found they already know 1/4-3/4 of the new vocab in SFC lessons because of Duolingo, which makes it very unintimidating.

• Like 1

I agree SFC doesn't have enough review by itself, but that's exactly what makes it a great pairing with Duolingo for us. SFC is grammar heavy and needs review; Duolingo has excellent review but not a lick of grammar. 20-30 minutes of Duolingo and one page of SFC a day is a very manageable workload and they compliment each other fabulously. My kids have found they already know 1/4-3/4 of the new vocab in SFC lessons because of Duolingo, which makes it very unintimidating.

Sounds good. So, how old are your kids that use SFC?

I think I'll buy the whole thing: workbookds and DVD. Do you agree?

I'm tired of making buying-mistakes which is why I'm being so careful.

Alley

It isn't consumable. There are free audio lessons downloadable from the website. It is a beginner book & DD did it for about six months before she started Duolingo.

It is easy for kids to use independently, IMO, or you can do them with them. I had my DD write the translations for each lesson in a notebook. Periodically, I'd give her a quiz - 10 sentences from the answers in the back that she had to translate (English to Spanish instead of the usual Spanish to English).

SFC A is also a beginner program, but kicks it up a notch & expects a LOT more out of the kid. If your kid(s) already know a lot of vocab & constructions from Duo, it might be a great program to pull it all together.

We're using Easy Spanish Step by Step. The workbook is cheap but there's not a lot of practice. We're finding we need a lot more practice on vocab than the book offers, so we're adding in some quizzlet flashcards. I'd rather not have to use two apps, especially with an ipod with no working sound. :(

• Like 1