Menu

Coursera

Yes. I have, and it's been great.  I pay for certificates if he does every part of the course, lectures, tests, discussions, and essays. My son has learned so much by just listening in on the lectures.  

What classes are you thinking about?  My son did an astronomy class last year that was amazing.  He's working through Biology for Voters 1 and 2 on edx right now, but not for credit, he was just interested in it.

Just wanted to add that we did several intro type classes through Coursera that we converted into credit hours with the CLEP.

Coursera also has a great AP Calculus review that dd used successfully last year.

• Like 1

DD14 took a statistics class taught by a professor at Duke.  She enjoyed it.  We paid for the certificate, on my husband's advice, though I'm skeptical of its value.  It does show that dd has completed all the assignments and done well on the exams, but at this point in time I doubt college admissions committees really care.  If coursera gets used more widely, this may change.  

Thanks for the replies. My daughter found a physical science class she wants to take on Coursera, so we have just started that. She will be in 8th grade coming up this school year, so we won't get a certificate for this one. I just want to see how she does.

Mum2, I had no idea that the courses could be used for CLEP credit. That is great!

Thanks for the replies. My daughter found a physical science class she wants to take on Coursera, so we have just started that. She will be in 8th grade coming up this school year, so we won't get a certificate for this one. I just want to see how she does.

Mum2, I had no idea that the courses could be used for CLEP credit. That is great!

We do buy an REA review book when they are preparing for the CLEP exam just so they have exactly what that exam wants but the classes have made their actual prop time pretty short.

My dd just finish EDIVET: So you think you want to be a vet? and really enjoyed it. It was out of the University of Edinburgh, so most of the lecturers had awesome Scottish accents! Always a bonus. ;)

We didn't pay for the certificate, though she did all the materials and tests. She'll do more Coursera courses, for sure.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

We also did the EDIVET course - it was fabulous!

The same Scottish uni offers a course specifically about chickens and we did that too through Coursera. Even more fabulous :001_tt1:

https://www.coursera.org/course/chickens

I'll show this to my dd! She loves chickens. It will make her ask even more times a day if we can move into the country. ;)

Edited by wintermom

We also did the EDIVET course - it was fabulous!

The same Scottish uni offers a course specifically about chickens and we did that too through Coursera. Even more fabulous :001_tt1:

https://www.coursera.org/course/chickens

No way! My dd would be delighted to watch a chook course! Thank you for mentioning it, because I would certainly never have thought of looking for one. :lol:

Oh, you don't need to be in the country to have chickens. Not here anyway.

Here in Brisbane, Australia, it is reasonably common to have backyard chickens. Depending on the size of the suburban lot, we can have up to 20 chookies.

This is a capital city, not a rural area.

Oh, we do love our chookies :001_smile:
and I highly recommend the chooky course on Coursera. It was egg-cellent ;)

• Like 1

Oh, you don't need to be in the country to have chickens. Not here anyway.

Here in Brisbane, Australia, it is reasonably common to have backyard chickens. Depending on the size of the suburban lot, we can have up to 20 chookies.

This is a capital city, not a rural area.

Oh, we do love our chookies :001_smile:

and I highly recommend the chooky course on Coursera. It was egg-cellent ;)

I think we are technically allowed to have a certain number of chickens according to our by-laws, but there are restrictions on how close to the neighbours' yard, noise, and it gets really cold here in the winter so they don't lay much then (though they have to eat bought grain and then the cost to keep them isn't cheap).  I have looked into it on a superficial level, and watched some friends and my sister experience their chickens. They all eventually gave up. 

texasmom33, judging by your picture, you may love horses as much as I love chookies.

Coursera has some horsey courses too. My daughter hasn't done these, but the second one is also done by the Uni of Edinburgh in Scotland, who we did EDIVET and the chooky course through - both were superb.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/horse-care

https://www.coursera.org/course/equinenutrition