Menu

What is the benefit to having an IEP for services not being received at PS

DD8 currently has an IEP for speech and receives speech therapy at PS.  She qualifies to have SLD - reading (all 3 areas) added to an IEP and possibly some aspects of writing or math fluency (although conceptually she is okay for math) and processing speed problems.  This is our first year homeschooling and not participating in a charter/online/virtual school where we were considered a public school student at home before.  I need to answer the school as to whether I want the current IEP modified to add the latest testing onto it.  I have decided to continue to use Barton at home for now (no one in the school is OG trained until the 5th grade level) and not use the school services for reading since they don't have anyone in her grade level OG trained and all their work is done in small groups from what I can tell and I'm not convinced that will help DD at this point.  Since I don't plan on using the school services for reading at this time, what would be the benefit of having them add SLD - reading and related accommodations to the IEP? 

If an IEP is in place before age 18, it must be recognized at the college level. You never know what might be needed or able to be accommodated later. I dated a guy who truly had ADHD to a rather significant degree. His mother did not believe in labelling him, so never had an IEP done. Though the gentleman was smart enough to breeze through high school without many issues, college was a big smack in the behind. Not only did he not have the standard study skills that commonly happen to college freshmen, he was at a significant disadvantage in gaining them. He could not recieve quiet study space or use various standard accommodations. Some instructors were awesome, but others were snots about it. This was where I learned an IEP has to be established or at least identified before college. He could not receive services.

• Like 8

Exactly what EndofOrdinary said. Without a legal document, it is nearly impossible to get accommodations. AND just remember just because she qualifies for accommodations, she does not have to take them if it makes her feel uncomfortable. Students with IEP receive accommodations on the SAT or ACT as well. 

• Like 6

I've talked with plenty of colleges that don't care about an IEP to give accommodations.  They just want to see recent evals by a psychologist.  Ditto for college testing (ACT/SAT), plenty of people get accommodations without an IEP.

Since you have had an IEP in the past and have been ps students in the past, I would go ahead and let them update the IEP.  There's no reason NOT to, kwim?  The IEP will be good for 3 years and give you flexibility if, for whatever reason, you want options later.  You're not required to take the services, but it's the paper trail to make it smooth if you decide to use them again.  It just makes sense.  It's one more meeting, get it done.

The reason you hear about IEPs so much here on the boards is because some states offer disability scholarships.  Our state has an amazing scholarship program (begun under Kasich, rah rah) that allows you to give up your FAPE and take the scholarship instead to implement the IEP.  It's ideal for homeschoolers and people going to private schools.  I'm in my 2nd year of dealing with IEP stuff, because my ds' diagnoses changed during the process.  For me, it has been a good process, learning things, but that's the reason we're doing it, to get funding.  I wouldn't bother if it weren't for the funding.  No colleges I've talked with have cared about IEPs and they are not legally bound to implement IEPs.  Local homeschool friends have not run into problems getting accommodations for their kids either.  That may be regional, but I'm just saying it's not an issue here.

But again, because you've had an IEP in the past and could want to use it again in the future, it makes no sense not to finish.  Have the final meeting, get it done.  :)

• Like 2

When I talked to the college board way back when, they would have been interested in seeing an IEP. You can get accommodations without it, but I think it might smooth the way.

When we were college hunting, I had a vague sense that the public colleges were more interested in seeing an existing IEP. Again, not necessary but potentially helpful.

I am interested in creating an IEP to establish my own goals, as well as provide an explanation if we are ever questioned for doing something out of the ordinary. I never did it with my dd who hs'ed through high school. She has CAPD but she was working at grade level. My youngest worries me more, however, because her writing isn't grade level, at least for what kids in ps are doing around here.

• Like 1

If you had zero interest in ever receiving services from your public school district, would you still put your child through their process just to get an IEP you wouldn't use ? Or would a repeated private evaluation be good enough ? For us, it's a written expression and working memory issue, not reading.

If you had zero interest in ever receiving services from your public school district, would you still put your child through their process just to get an IEP you wouldn't use ? Or would a repeated private evaluation be good enough ? For us, it's a written expression and working memory issue, not reading.

That's my point.  Call places you're considering and see, but NOBODY I've called for dd has cared about whether she had an IEP.  Not everyone with a disability gets an IEP from the ps system, either, remember.  So someone could have dyslexia and get a 504 and never get an IEP.  Their parents may have paid for private tutors.  ADHD, again, does not necessarily get an IEP.  NO place I have called (college, university) has needed an IEP.  One of the big psychs in town said he does that service all the time, doing a fresh ADHD eval and writing recommendations so the students going into the university will have their paper trail.  

If you have SLDs, you probably already have a paper trail.  Everything I'm being told is that as long as you have a psych eval from the last 3 years, you're good to go.  Colleges are not required to follow IEPs, and if they don't take federal money, you're guaranteed even less.  

Adding: You do realize the irony is not whether the college/university will offer services to the dc but whether the dc will be WILLING TO USE the services...  *That* is where the rub is.  Universities are bending over backward to provide services, but kids have to be willing to USE them.  That is the number one thing we can do with our kids, getting them confident enough that they'll use the services.

Edited by OhElizabeth

At the college level, colleges are bound by the Americans with Disabilities Act, which is Section 504. And IEP is only for K-12 education, but some of the provisions in it would apply to a 504 plan. Podcast 21 in this list is very helpful: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/coffee-klatch-special-needs/id385107960?mt=2You can find it in the radio show archives as well. Colleges don't care about IEPs because they are not bound by them, but you do care that the 504 provisions INSIDE THE IEP get fulfilled at the college level, and some colleges will not give you disability services if you don't have an IEP or 504 plan in high school. For a homeschooler, they might be willing to look at evaluations and such and craft a disability services plan, but that's going to vary by college. If they do recognize evaluations, I would guess they want to know what that looked like day-to-day with your student.

If you have an existing IEP, I would keep it current and up-to-date. Life happens. You might move out of state and be in a different situation. If you drop that IEP and need a new one, it's going to be MUCH harder to get it back. As kids get older, they tend to get fewer services anyway, and they'll just try to say that an IEP won't buy you anything, leave them alone. 

I am making my IEP myself. Yes, it will have less weight but in my state, I cannot getting any services or funds without enrolling in a school, though legally they would have to test my child if I requested it.

There are forms online that some kind person here linked before to help make your own IEP-like plan. HSLDA will also help you and provide templates.

In thinking about this topic, last night, I remembered I started out this year for dd10 with two very specific goals in mind. I once had them in my sig and I almost wished I kept them there. The first was handwriting remediation; the second, increase reading stamina.

Sometimes this year I wondered if I had made her work too easy, only because it seems to be going sooooo smoothly. Then, because of this thread, when I remembered those two goals and realized she has made significant progress this year in those areas because I had intentionally targeted them, I felt a happy sense of accomplishment.

It helped me focus on what she has already accomplished instead of continuing to worry about how far we have to go.

I think having a plan of whatever kind, depending on someone's particular needs based on where they live, would help keep those goals front and center.

• Like 1

Why have an IEP - I don't know (for just homeschooling)? Once you have it, it might make certain things easier. If you need any services through the schools or live in a state where they will give scholarship money for learning disabilities, then it may be very worthwhile.

You can get college accommodations with learning disability testing through a psychologist.

You can get accommodations on ACT/SAT with the same learning disability testing.

You can get learning ally with the same learning disability testing.

You don't have to go through the process of getting an IEP or 504 just to get accommodations.

• Like 2

So there seems to be some differences on whether or not an IEP is necessary to help a student obtain accommodations in college.  From what I understand, it CAN be difficult to obtain accommodations for GED testing and/or college entrance exams, etc.  

Now...my husband was not diagnosed with dyslexia until he was in his mid 30s.  He then began the process of tutoring so he could take his GED.  And at the same time, he also began the process of requesting accommodations for that GED.  We never completed the process because he ended up transferring to a high school diploma program (the NEDP) and didn't need to take the GED.  But...while we had begun seeking those accommodations, it was looking to be a lengthy process.  You had to submit verification from the physician documenting the LDs and documenting the need for the specific requests.  It needed to go through an approval process.  We were told it could take months.  

This was all before we started homeschooling our children, one of whom also has some LDs.  At the beginning of our journey, we were advised by the neuropsych as well as other homeschooling families (with kids with LDs) that having a documented history of the LD and the need for accommodations would make future requests easier and more streamlined.  That sometimes, kids without a documented history of requiring accommodations would be turned down because, "You never needed them before, why now?"  

So we have an IEP in place for our daughter.  It has testing accommodations and a few other minor things (access to their math teachers for consulting, etc).  

Now...I'm not sure if DD will ever be college bound.  I refuse to limit her future on the basis of how she is doing now in school.  Her LD is pretty moderate but...who knows how she'll do?  

But...there's another reason I keep an IEP on file for her.  Our state requires standardized testing scores to be submitted at certain grade levels.  And if she does not meet certain benchmarks, we risk probation status for our homeschool.  And if she continues to miss those benchmarks...we may find ourselves in legal issues (or send her to the public school).  So I have that IEP and testing evaluations on file to document her LD for that purpose as well.  If I have to go to court over this someday (unlikely but just in case), I want to make sure my bases are covered and her LDs are well-documented.   

• Like 4

What sweet pea said.

We have an IEP on file to qualify for testing accomodations (extra time, test read aloud, calculator use, etc) AND to document why my child is working below grade level when we submit yearly plans & yearly test scores. It protects US from educational neglect accusations about her skill level.

Also, if she ever had to return quickly to public school, she would get services & accomodations from the get go. You never know, things happen.. Accidents, divorce, custody issues, sicknesses that require kids enrolling in school.

• Like 4