Menu

Here's hoping that any WTMers affected by the flooding in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas are OK

Debbi in Texas

In this area, we dodged the worst of the heavy rain. I"m concerned though because this type of weather is more usual in April rather than early March. I'm praying that we don't have a repeat of the terrible flooding of last spring.

• Like 2

West TN is getting hit hard-there is some significant flooding here. We're OK, but parts of Memphis have lost power due to lines coming down, and there are a lot of roads that aren't passable.

DD is a little concerned that this is prime breeding season for the early frogs, who usually use standing water like farm ponds, etc. The vernal pond breeders are more April/early May here. She's worried that some of the early breeders may end up using temporary puddles, only to have the puddles dry up too soon for the tadpoles to have developed legs.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 3

DD is a little concerned that this is prime breeding season for the early frogs, who usually use standing water like farm ponds, etc. The vernal pond breeders are more April/early May here. She's worried that some of the early breeders may end up using temporary puddles, only to have the puddles dry up too soon for the tadpoles to have developed legs.

Are they ever! Tell her I'll keep an eye on my puddles and add more water as necessary. :001_smile:

ETA: I am hearing frog calls that I have never heard at this time of year. I hear the peepers naturally, but something with a really long, high pitched call that goes on forever has been calling in the trees at night.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Are they ever! Tell her I'll keep an eye on my puddles and add more water as necessary. :001_smile:

ETA: I am hearing frog calls that I have never heard at this time of year. I hear the peepers naturally, but something with a really long, high pitched call that goes on forever has been calling in the trees at night.

Grey tree frogs, probably. They've been active here. They're one of the ones that usually breeds more in April/May here, and then are done by early June, because they go from egg to froglet quickly.  Southern Leopard frogs (which sound to me like a badly tuned motorcycle trying to rev up) are also active early this year. The folks in NW Arkansas are reporting similar things.  Peepers and cricket frogs are also out in pretty big numbers, but they're kind of expected in March.

• Like 2

West TN is getting hit hard-there is some significant flooding here. We're OK, but parts of Memphis have lost power due to lines coming down, and there are a lot of roads that aren't passable.

I have heard nothing but frogs since this weather pattern started.

• Like 2